Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So who does have contacts to Jets in Isles locker room? Ladd? If so not hard to guess the source. Maybe some vet who is afraid a teenager snatches his ice time while not giving ”full effort” in his opinion. This certainly partly explains if Laine wants out. If relationships are so sour that this kind of gossip gets spilled to other team’s locker room something has to give. If there is truth to this gossiping Laine will never sign long term. He arbitrates his way out and I will not blame him for that.
Or it could be other Finish players around the edges of our lineup talking with other Finish players across the league who then share bits and pieces with other players. It could come from players that have come in and out of the Jets organization and shot the s*** with each other when they cross paths in other organization.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Perhaps I misunderstand you . I don`t think that the severity of any issue has much ,if anything to do with this. Discussing things with players on other teams is simply bad judgment on the part of whomever is responsible. In this case, the premise is that it is Wheeler talking to Ladd but that is conjecture.
It could very well not be a single player that is part of the core group. As I just posted I think it is more than likely it is players that have crossed his path that are not part of our core group that feel more free to gossip about him. Ladd played most of last season in the minors do you really think he is the one chatting about Laine in the NYI locker room?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
But isn`t this the real point? Yes, players "police themselves" and probably call one another out for a number of things BUT it is normal practise everywhere that everything stays in the Room... Regrettably,it seems that our team leaders,( going back to and including Ladd, and now probably Wheeler) believe that this does not apply to them! There is altogether too much loose talk in the formal pressers; too much loose talk informally but within earshot of the media; and too much loose talk to friends on other teams. I can only guess that Chevy must be apoplectic about this continuing problem.

I don't see it anymore then any other team......the fact that literally rumours come out every single day around the NHL about all teams dispels the myth "what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room". Virtually all rumours are started by players, agents, GM's, team staff, reporters, etc........there really isn't any cone of silence any where. Heck governments leak out information regarding the highest confidential/secret information all too often........and that's at the highest levels. Humans every where leak information.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Trade the guy they don't like in the room? Trade the gossippers? I can't decide! Fire Maurice! Bring back Buff! Where's Stempniak at?

Reactions: Garbox

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Perhaps I misunderstand you . I don`t think that the severity of any issue has much ,if anything to do with this. Discussing things with players on other teams is simply bad judgment on the part of whomever is responsible. In this case, the premise is that it is Wheeler talking to Ladd but that is conjecture.

Absolutely - my point is, how bad do things need to be before something like this takes place.
It's easy to stand back and call out what people / players should or shouldn't do - but you know some of it is likely still happening (and will continue to happen) regardless. I also think for the most part, this type of thing isn't an issue - we don't hear a lot about cases like this for the very reasons you point out - it's bad judgement.
So how bad does it have to get before something like this happens? Assuming there is any truth to this

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I don't see it anymore then any other team......the fact that literally rumours come out every single day around the NHL about all teams dispels the myth "what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room". Virtually all rumours are started by players, agents, GM's, team staff, reporters, etc........there really isn't any cone of silence any where. Heck governments leak out information regarding the highest confidential/secret information all too often........and that's at the highest levels. Humans every where leak information.

All we have to go by is the article in the Athletic referenced earlier. My reading is that there was a lot of unfavorable, unkind discussion of Laine in the Islander dressingroom spearheaded by a teammate who had first hand info from someone on the Jets team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So who does have contacts to Jets in Isles locker room? Ladd? If so not hard to guess the source. Maybe some vet who is afraid a teenager snatches his ice time while not giving ”full effort” in his opinion. This certainly partly explains if Laine wants out. If relationships are so sour that this kind of gossip gets spilled to other team’s locker room something has to give. If there is truth to this gossiping Laine will never sign long term. He arbitrates his way out and I will not blame him for that.
Conversely, maybe Laine's insistence on not playing with Little and wanting to be paid 50% more than the Jets best players and carping about ice time wears thin on teammates that are focused on competing as a team. By the way, remember that Laine got the 5th most ice time of any RW in the NHL, all at even strength or on the PP, while the veteran RW and captain took a second line role, out of position, and less ice time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
All we have to go by is the article in the Athletic referenced earlier. My reading is that there was a lot of unfavorable, unkind discussion of Laine in the Islander dressingroom spearheaded by a teammate who had first hand info from someone on the Jets team.
If these types of things are talked about in other team's dressing rooms then it is pretty much common knowledge across the league and probably comes from multiple sources including those that played with him in Finland.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
If these types of things are talked about in other team's dressing rooms then it is pretty much common knowledge across the league and probably comes from multiple sources including those that played with him in Finland.

Methinks you`re trying a little too hard to come up with some plausible explanation other than that which is self- evident. However, it`s probably best we simply express our disparate views and leave it at that -right?:) I`d simply add that I truly hope that there is not a lot of disussion of this type in dressing rooms across the League -if so, it has potential to make Chevy`s job that much more difficult.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
All this talk about the source of the information like that is the most important thing, and no one seems to care much that our young star has gained a league wide reputation for not putting the effort in. If you have this type of reputation it is not just coming from one source. It is the label that has been hung on you by peers across the league.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Your adding some of your own content/spin there if your quoting the Athletic.

I quote: Islanders who know players in Winnipeg talked about Laine a lot in the locker room and not much of it was kind.

Notice in the quote, it says players with a plural, plus says Islanders with a plural......meaning multi players, not a single player but multi players. So if true, multi team mates of Laine had unkind comments regarding him.......which isn't good look for Laine. If it was one guy, well some times two guys don't see eye to eye but doesn't mean either are bad guys. But when more and more of your team mates are saying unkind things.....well that looks much worse on Laine.

Again this is rumour only, not confirmed so I'm not placing too much stock in it at this point.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Conversely, maybe Laine's insistence on not playing with Little and wanting to be paid 50% more than the Jets best players and carping about ice time wears thin on teammates that are focused on competing as a team. By the way, remember that Laine got the 5th most ice time of any RW in the NHL, all at even strength or on the PP, while the veteran RW and captain took a second line role, out of position, and less ice time.

I'm not sure that's it. We don't really know what Laine's demands are.

But I can't be the only one who felt like the guy wasn't putting in full effort in the 18/19 season - it truly looked to me like he wasn't trying - and that would piss team mates off very quickly. Speculation of course.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
If true (Laine being a problem or unpopular in the locker room with multi team mates), I understand much better know why the media is saying a trade might be the best for both parties. Talented player but a poor fit in the team culture. Again if true

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
But I can't be the only one who felt like the guy wasn't putting in full effort in the 18/19 season - it truly looked to me like he wasn't trying - and that would piss team mates off very quickly. Speculation of course.
i agree with u, which is why i wonder the timeline of these discussions. i don't think effort was a big issue this past year. in years past? perhaps, notably in 18-19 as you mention.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If true (Laine being a problem or unpopular in the locker room with multi team mates), I understand much better know why the media is saying a trade might be the best for both parties. Talented player but a poor fit in the team culture. Again if true
if poor effort is the issue, mixed in with his demands to play top line and problems with usage, throwing linemates under the bus etc,..... i doubt he'll be a popular guy in most locker rooms.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
For f***sakes someone interview Laine already and see what he says. If he's not happy being a Winnipeg Jet , there's the door, don't let it hit you on the ass on your way out. But someone, anyone get a interview with the guy.

So far Laine has always said he likes it in Winnipeg, city and the people. Obviously he has not spoken about the locker room things, and I don't think he should.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
If there are 2 or 3 veteran players who are determining what the team culture is and bullying the rest of the team into compliance, those veterans may be the cancer. Especially if they are talking to friends outside of the locker room. Don't air your problems outside the team. If there are personality clashes, don't use the media to punish players you are having a problem with. This speaks more to the character of the team culture than Laine if true.

I also see how Laine's quiet, sardonic, dry sense of humor might irritate some.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
All this talk about the source of the information like that is the most important thing, and no one seems to care much that our young star has gained a league wide reputation for not putting the effort in. If you have this type of reputation it is not just coming from one source. It is the label that has been hung on you by peers across the league.

The source of the talk about Laine outside the organization IS important.And I respectfully suggest that there is a different way of looking at the point you raise. It is not so much that our young star has gained a league wide reputation for not putting the effort in, it is much more that we have leaders who are inappropriately creating and furthering that narrative. It willgrow into a league wide reputation if this talk is not nipped in the bud -now.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The source of the talk about Laine outside the organization IS important.And I respectfully suggest that there is a different way of looking at the point you raise. It is not so much that our young star has gained a league wide reputation for not putting the effort in, it is much more that we have leaders who are inappropriately creating and furthering that narrative. It willgrow into a league wide reputation if this talk is not nipped in the bud -now.
Why do you think it is one of our leaders talking about Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad