Laine + Ehlers vs Matthews + Nylander

Which Duo is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I live on the corner of University and Adelaide smack in the middle of DT Toronto but nice attempt at an ignorant cheap shot

Also insecurity complex regarding Winnipeg is funny when 98% of Raptors talk is about getting ignored by ESPN

Of course they would. It's simple math. Basketball is one of the top 3 sports in country that has over 300 million people in it.

Canada has what? Under 40? Why the hell should ESPN spend any time on the Raptors? Marketing 101. Same goes with Winnipeg. Of all the hockey fans in Canada...3 percent cheer for the Jets. 3. So I get the complex. It probably sucks that you are always going to have Toronto rammed down your throat regardless of how good Winnipeg is atm. (course it doesn't help that we are also a great team)

But we don't need constant comparisons from our team to your team. Or our players to your players. Even though I know it's easy click bait to put Toronto into the thread title...because...Toronto.

Laine/Matthews was a thing last year in their rookies season. But it's over. Matthews won. Outside of that, they are not comparable players. 1 is a winger, the other is a center. 1 is built for offense, the other plays 200 feet of ice.

So do us all a favor. Check your insecurity complex, and pick one of the other 29 teams to compare yourselves too.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
But projection was not allowed for Laine last year when he was injured. Matthews started fast and then his numbers started to normalize. He had 4 goals in his last 10 games, so one can't unequivocally proclaim he would have the same amount of goals as Laine has now. Or he would be pushing 50 goals. Being Healthy or not healthy is reality, not fantasy. Thus real stats are used. Not what if stats.

Before he got injured again, Matthews had more goals than Laine so yes it’s a very real chance he would be there. Laine got very hot after a cold stretch....it happens.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Before he got injured again, Matthews had more goals than Laine so yes it’s a very real chance he would be there. Laine got very hot after a cold stretch....it happens.

Not how it works. As noted Matthews was normalizing to 4 goals in 10 games pace. What Laine did was up his play. It isn't because of luck. He trained for a marathon season not a sprint season. Some of us predicted he would get better as the season went on. This is what happened. What happened is a stronger case that what may have or may not have happened.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Not how it works. As noted Matthews was normalizing to 4 goals in 10 games pace. What Laine did was up his play. It isn't because of luck. He trained for a marathon season not a sprint season. Some of us predicted he would get better as the season went on. This is what happened. What happened is a stronger case that what may have or may not have happened.

He entered a hot streak, that’s it, nothing more or less.

He’s on a 13 game point streak.
13GP 23PTS
His previous 13 games.
13GP 6PTS.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Netural fan voting Leafs option.

As far as duos go I feel center-winger are a better combo than winger-winger since it's harder to find a winger to fill a line than a center.

Would probably lean towards the Jets if it was Scheifele-Laine instead.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He entered a hot streak, that’s it, nothing more or less.

He’s on a 13 game point streak.
13GP 23PTS
His previous 13 games.
13GP 6PTS.

For people that watch the Jets often. Laine is playing visibly better. Started with the move to Wheeler, then Copp, carried over to Statsny. The results lately are all the proof needed.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
For people that watch the Jets often. Laine is playing visibly better. Started with the move to Wheeler, then Copp, carried over to Statsny. The results lately are all the proof needed.

I’m not disputing that he isn’t playing better.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
It's hilarious I could start a poll of Nylander/Marner vs Virtanen/Horvat or Glendening/Mantha and non Leaf fans would pick the grouping with the C. The fact that the Leafs are losing a poll having the best player in either duo who also happens to be a center, won rookie of the year over one of the players, is among the most dominant 5 on 5 players already at 20 lmaooooo.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You know I really don't care that you think Laine is so much better then Matthews. As a fan of the Jets you're allowed to have fanboy in you and cheer for your guy. But what really disgusts me is the injury jokes, as if your happy Matthews got hurt. I remember last year when Laine was out with a concussion a lot of leaf fans to a tee were all concerned for him. Yet here you are along with others acting like total ***** bags laughing about a young kids injury.
Don't get me wrong the majority of jet fans I have talked to a very respectful about it, it's just the few like yourself that really need to wake up.
Can we put this narrative to rest. They were many Leaf fans calling out Laine for lacking on ice awareness, stating he is going to continually get concussed, etc. after Laine got injured.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Bottom line...both fan bases have gotten exactly what they wanted..... and expected.... from Laine/Matthews. The nitpicking on both these young STUDS, sometimes borders on the absurd.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
It's really close and arguments can be made both ways. But this goes heavily in the Leafs favour if Nylander becomes a producing centre.

Having Matthews & Nylander as your top 6 centres easily beats Laine and Ehlers on the wings.

Been hearing this since 2014 and it still hasn't happened outside of Matthews getting injured :laugh: At this point both Ehlers and Nylander are wingers and Ehlers is ahead while playing less minutes.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Matthews has 10+ games pointless streak going in injury. Laine has played all games.

His biggest pointless streak is 4 games (Jan 8 - 18). Are you just making shit up as you go along? It’s right there in the link.

Laine has played all games and Matthews hasnt - very good, kinda like last year when Matthews played all the games and Laine didn’t, what that has to do with Matthews being more consistent and you being 100% wrong about everything you’ve posted prior to that idk.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Been hearing this since 2014 and it still hasn't happened outside of Matthews getting injured :laugh: At this point both Ehlers and Nylander are wingers and Ehlers is ahead while playing less minutes.
But but but it could happen??? Dont forget that.. ;) and then when he becomes a center it does not matter how they play the game :)

Reactions: DashingDane

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It's funny. I'm pretty sure that most Jets fans, looking back at the Matthews/Laine draft, would pick Laine over Matthews if they had the option. He fits their team better, as they already have Scheifele and now Stastny.

Maple Leafs fans are in a similar spot, quite happy with the guy they got.

Yet Jets fans aren't happy that Toronto took Matthews and left them Laine. They aren't content with their superstar who loves their team and their city. Why is there this continuous attack on Matthews and Toronto? They did you a favour. You are better off for it. What difference does it make to compare them so much now?

I guess it's similar to the Ovie/Crosby thing. They'll always be compared. But it just seems like there's so much piss and vinegar from one side that I just don't understand. Toronto and Winnipeg both won in that draft.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
His biggest pointless streak is 4 games (Jan 8 - 18). Are you just making **** up as you go along? It’s right there in the link.

Laine has played all games and Matthews hasnt - very good, kinda like last year when Matthews played all the games and Laine didn’t, what that has to do with Matthews being more consistent and you being 100% wrong about everything you’ve posted prior to that idk.

Matthews has missed more games in his career than Laine. Inconsistently playing.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Laine and consistency? Dude is streaky af
Obviously every goal scorer has cold and hot streaks, but he was pacing for ~35 goals with 1 goal games (one 2 goal game in there), while playing on a line that didn't work at all 5v5, before his hot streak. I'd say that's quite consistent.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Of course they would. It's simple math. Basketball is one of the top 3 sports in country that has over 300 million people in it.

Canada has what? Under 40? Why the hell should ESPN spend any time on the Raptors? Marketing 101. Same goes with Winnipeg. Of all the hockey fans in Canada...3 percent cheer for the Jets. 3. So I get the complex. It probably sucks that you are always going to have Toronto rammed down your throat regardless of how good Winnipeg is atm. (course it doesn't help that we are also a great team)

But we don't need constant comparisons from our team to your team. Or our players to your players. Even though I know it's easy click bait to put Toronto into the thread title...because...Toronto.

Laine/Matthews was a thing last year in their rookies season. But it's over. Matthews won. Outside of that, they are not comparable players. 1 is a winger, the other is a center. 1 is built for offense, the other plays 200 feet of ice.

So do us all a favor. Check your insecurity complex, and pick one of the other 29 teams to compare yourselves too.

You clicked on the thread man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad