Laine + Ehlers vs Matthews + Nylander

Which Duo is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
give me two C over two W

Who's the other C. Nylander? Babcock if given a choice will put Nylander back on the wing as he always has when Matthews is back. The last 7 games are an indication Nylander is better on wing than at Center. He has only 4 assists in 7 games and has not scored a goal since Feb 12. Give me the 2 players that are producing at an elite and very good level to one that is producing at a very good level, and average level to this point.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
General consensus seems to be Matthews > Laine.

Is Ehlers that much better than Nylander that it makes up the difference?

Give me the 2 centers over the 2 wingers.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Or give me the 2 elite wingers that can elevate a #2C who was having a mediocre year into a an over PPG player over 7 games as they did with Paul Statsny. 8 points +8 in those 7 games.

Just plug in a decent Center between Laine and Ehlers for the next decade, and you are going to have productive #1C numbers. This is value.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Who's the other C. Nylander? Babcock if given a choice will put Nylander back on the wing as he always has when Matthews is back. The last 7 games are an indication Nylander is better on wing than at Center. He has only 4 assists in 7 games and has not scored a goal since Feb 12. Give me the 2 players that are producing at an elite and very good level to one that is producing at a very good level, and average level to this point.

Laine point per game - .93
Matthews point per game - .94

Yet ones an elite level and one's a very good level?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Laine point per game - .93
Matthews point per game - .94

Yet ones an elite level and one's a very good level?

Prorate does not equal actual production.

Laine has 41 goals in 70 games. He is 5 points away from 70 points with 65. Injuries, staying healthy factor in to the part of being an elite player or not. Until one does it over a full season, there is no assuming elite status. This game is not played on what ifs.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Leafs fan, with Leafs duo but only because it's two Wingers against a Centre & Winger.

Like others have mentioned, the Jets have their great #1C in Scheifele.

An interesting poll would be Scheifele/Laine or Matthews/Nylander.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Or give me the 2 elite wingers that can elevate a #2C who was having a mediocre year into a an over PPG player over 7 games as they did with Paul Statsny. 8 points +8 in those 7 games.

Just plug in a decent Center between Laine and Ehlers for the next decade, and you are going to have productive #1C numbers. This is value.
Why couldn't they elevate Little? It seems like they aren't the ones who drive their lines. Not that there's anything wrong with that

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why couldn't they elevate Little? It seems like they aren't the ones who drive their lines. Not that there's anything wrong with that

Well atleast you are not posting about Laine is incapable of scoring without Schiefele anymore. It doesn't matter who Little has played with this year, maybe the question should be why couldn't Little elevate his game with 2 elite wingers of the talent that Ehlers and Laine are. Good question. Some say chemistry, some say off year for Little. I say maybe both. But Statsny certainly has been elevated by playing with Laine and Ehlers which is a strong point in their favour in this poll.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well atleast you are not posting about Laine is incapable of scoring without Schiefele anymore. It doesn't matter who Little has played with this year, maybe the question should be why couldn't Little elevate his game with 2 elite wingers of the talent that Ehlers and Laine are. Good question. Some say chemistry, some say off year for Little. I say maybe both. But Statsny certainly has been elevated by playing with Laine and Ehlers which is a strong point in their favour in this poll.
Well up until recently, Laine hasnt been able to produce without Scheifele. Sure it's a small sample size, but it's good enough for me to change my mind. It still certainly remains to be seen if he can drive a line like Matthews can, but who knows what he'll be capable of going forward

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well up until recently, Laine hasnt been able to produce without Scheifele. Sure it's a small sample size, but it's good enough for me to change my mind. It still certainly remains to be seen if he can drive a line like Matthews can, but who knows what he'll be capable of going forward

Right now, all Matthews has proven is, he is good at driving the line for himself. Look I have never critiqued his goal scoring production. He has a knack of being in the right spot for 5 ft goals. When you couple that with his good shot. Matthews is going to score a lot of goals. It's his wingers production that he has not proven he is able to drive. Including playing with most Leafs fans consider is a better player than Laine's linemate Ehlers. Nylander. He has 14 goals this year. This would follow a year in which he scored 4 total goals 5 v5 goals with Matthews last season. Another thing that has not been brought up is Matthews shoulder or back injuries, as a fan of the NHL I hope this does not hinder his ability to score those 5 ft goals he is so good at. To score goals around the crease, one takes a lot of punishment. Regardless, I do think a satisfactory #2C playing with Laine and Ehlers will be elevated to #1C production playing with these 2. That makes the Jets young elite bookends core valuable pieces going fwd.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I doubt either of them would lead the league in 5v5 goals, that's for sure. Also if Laine had to play with Hyman+Brown for half the year
Matthews played with hyman and brown for like 200 minutes last season (may have been a bit more dont remember exactly) and he was scoring at his highest rate 5v5 with that combo^^

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I guess Little just isn't decent enough.

Wonder how Ehlers and Laine would do with Hyman?

Little is literally an anomaly... I don’t want to bring him down but he’s looked horrible all season this year(every line he’s been on he’s significantly dipped his linemates stats and Corsi). He was so good a couple years ago I really don’t know what happened to him this season.

Anyways they looked unstoppable with Copp and Stastny this season.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
This would be the Jets duo very very easily.
I am a huge fan of Scheifele. It was a bit of a reach when they drafted him but clearly Chevy knew what kinda player he was gonna develop into, and it's worked out.

Yeah, I agree it wouldn't be as close but definitely a much more fair poll because we're comparing similar positions.

I get the comparison though, many people think of Ehlers and Nylander as a wash or fairly close, and then you have the typical comparison, seems it happens almost every day - Laine vs. Matthews.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I doubt either of them would lead the league in 5v5 goals, that's for sure. Also if Laine had to play with Hyman+Brown for half the year

If those were his linemates, I can only imagine the excuses.

Little and Ehlers aren't sufficient, just imagine 2 boat anchors attached to him.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Right now, all Matthews has proven is, he is good at driving the line for himself. Look I have never critiqued his goal scoring production. He has a knack of being in the right spot for 5 ft goals. When you couple that with his good shot. Matthews is going to score a lot of goals. It's his wingers production that he has not proven he is able to drive. Including playing with most Leafs fans consider is a better player than Laine's linemate Ehlers. Nylander. He has 14 goals this year. This would follow a year in which he scored 4 total goals 5 v5 goals with Matthews last season. Another thing that has not been brought up is Matthews shoulder or back injuries, as a fan of the NHL I hope this does not hinder his ability to score those 5 ft goals he is so good at. To score goals around the crease, one takes a lot of punishment. Regardless, I do think a satisfactory #2C playing with Laine and Ehlers will be elevated to #1C production playing with these 2. That makes the Jets young elite bookends core valuable pieces going fwd.
Until Matthews went down to injury for the 3rd time, Hyman and Nylander were both outproducing Laine at 5v5. Even now, Matthews has more 5v5 points despite playing in 17 fewer games. It's quite clear Matthews elevated his linemates at 5v5, but yeah. The biggest problem for Matthews is the powerplay. It's not as important as 5v5 in my opinion, but it's still very important. I really wish Matthews could improve there, but I'm sure it'll come. Same with Laine improving at 5v5

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Until Matthews went down to injury for the 3rd time, Hyman and Nylander were both outproducing Laine at 5v5. Even now, Matthews has more 5v5 points despite playing in 17 fewer games. It's quite clear Matthews elevated his linemates at 5v5, but yeah. The biggest problem for Matthews is the powerplay. It's not as important as 5v5 in my opinion, but it's still very important. I really wish Matthews could improve there, but I'm sure it'll come. Same with Laine improving at 5v5

50 of Laine's career 77 goals were scored at ES. I don't think anyone need to concern themselves with his non PP goal totals. When you are able to score at ES and on the PP, as we know PP's win games in the playoffs and regular season. It just improves a player's resume.

As for Matthews improving as a playmaker, the jury is out. I certainly think he is capable of doing this. But he will never be a type of player like McDavid that can turn a Maroon into a 27 goal scorer or a Barzal that can turn an Eberle back into a 30 goal scorer(his first in 7 seasons if he maintains his pace) since he is such a goal dominant center. He is much more a 40-40 guy than a 25-55 guy as line drivers go.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016

Little and Ehlers aren't sufficient, just imagine 2 boat anchors attached to him.
Well if you watched them previously you would understand why... ehlers flew in the zone with blinders on and little managed to set up laine maybe 4-5 times over 30 games.... laine didnt even look good himself and got alot of critque for it... actually a player like hyman would have added alot to that line....

Hyman has 32 even strength points compared to littles 26....should tell you how dysfunctional that line really was... since the split both ehlers and laine have looked like themselves again with nice possesion game and beautiful set ups and passing plays between them. Credit to stastny too as he seems to mesh really good with them. Little is a good player but chemistry with the young guns just werent there.. it has little to do with the skills level and more to do with chemistry in that situation. Atleast thats what i gather.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

What Matthews is able to do at 5v5 doesn't get nearly enough credit, imo. he's among the best of the best. It would be great if he could get over 3 minutes a game of PP time with guys like Wheeler and Scheifele, but I'm sure he'll get a more favorable situation going forward and we'll see what he can do then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad