Value of: Laine and his new contract

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Love all the chatter that Laine is such a better goal scorer than Matthews but when it's a thread about having to pay him his only a 9.5 talent.

The market has been set on young 'franchise' centers by McDavid, Draisaitl and Eichel. The winger position doesn't pay as well. It has less to do with goal scoring ability than what the established market says.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
The market has been set on young 'franchise' centers by McDavid, Draisaitl and Eichel. The winger position doesn't pay as well. It has less to do with goal scoring ability than what the established market says.
And it doesn't have to do with numbers where Matthews has .51 gpg and Laine .52 but Matthews scores nearly all his goals even strength where Laine needs PP and empty nets but sure Laine is better cause Leafs.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

Draisaitl is a winger.

Wingers do get paid the same amount as centers. Biggest flaw in your theory is that there haven't been a young winger in McDavid / Eichel category who has signed 2nd contract after ELC.

And it doesn't have to do with numbers where Matthews has .51 gpg and Laine .52 but Matthews scores nearly all his goals even strength where Laine needs PP and empty nets but sure Laine is better cause Leafs.

I didn't know that PP goals are less valuable than ES goals.

Talk about moving goal posts :D

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

List of wingers making $9.5 million or more:
Kane
Ovechkin
Benn

An winger coming off his ELC will not be paid more than these guys. But go on, since points are the only determinant of salary.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Love all the chatter that Laine is such a better goal scorer than Matthews but when it's a thread about having to pay him he's only a 9.5 talent.

Some realize he's a winger, and part of the problem is there hasn't been Laine level winger signed for years and years from ELC.

If Laine competes for Rocket on 2/3 of his ELC years the price on him could get crazy, he could already make a case for huge money, but I hope he doesn't go for the max.

List of wingers making $9.5 million or more:
Kane
Ovechkin
Benn

An winger coming off his ELC will not be paid more than these guys. But go on, since points are the only determinant of salary.

Those are all old contracts, especially Ovy contract.

Since then Eichel+ Drai contracts have been signed up.

Reactions: connormcmuffin

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd be surprised if Laine got less than the Kucherov deal. 9.5 million. If he does then that's a win for the Jets.
While centers and D are usually paid more as the premium position, there are a few wingers, Ovi,Kucherov,Kane,Benn that push the envelope. Laine is one of those.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm a huge Laine fan, but admittedly he is quite one dimensional.
I agree. I also think he's on track to fix some of that. He still seems like he's getting used to a growth spurt ( I hope), that makes him seem a little uncoordinated at times, a little weak at times. And one thing that bugs me is for a guy his size he fishes for the puck as in rather than get into a scrum and get a little physical he stands stick length away and tries to fish it out to avoid contact.

I think gaining some strength should fix some of that. And another year of NHL coaching hopefully will help him know where to be without the puck, coaching defense should be the easier part of the game with a player willing to learn. Scoring goals from 25 feet out is the hard part.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Jets fans: are you hoping Matthews signs or Laine signs first?
People like to compare the two because of the same draft class. Disregarding that I don't think comparing a wing to a centre is the right way to look at it. To me I'm looking at how good is Laine compared to Kucherov while taking into account RFA years.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'd be surprised if Laine got less than the Kucherov deal. 9.5 million. If he does then that's a win for the Jets.
While centers and D are usually paid more as the premium position, there are a few wingers, Ovi,Kucherov,Kane,Benn that push the envelope. Laine is one of those.
I'm a Laine fan but hes not better than Kucherov.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm a Laine fan but hes not better than Kucherov.
He could be down the line. There is 5 years of difference in age.
Kucherov didn't enter the league scoring 100 points. He came in at 18 points in 52 games, followed by 2 60 point seasons before he escalated.
Laine could easily explode in the next 3-5 years. He has the talent to be one of the top wingers in the league and could very easily go Taylor Hall in a year or 2. It could come down to pay less now to pay a lot more later or pay more now to keep the deal solid moving forward.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He could be down the line. There is 5 years of difference in age.
Kucherov didn't enter the league scoring 100 points. He came in at 18 points in 52 games, followed by 2 60 point seasons before he escalated.
Laine could easily explode in the next 3-5 years. He has the talent to be one of the top wingers in the league and could very easily go Taylor Hall in a year or 2. It could come down to pay less now to pay a lot more later or pay more now to keep the deal solid moving forward.
Could be. But they didn't pay Kucherov for potential, they gave him a bridge contract to prove himself and he did.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
saw this posted on the HFJets ... i know C vs W and the increase in cap ... Laine's goal scoring has been elite at his age

At the time of signing:

Barkov

54gp 8g 16a
71gp 16g 20a
38gp 12g 18a

163gp 36g 54a

Scheifele

7gp 1g 0a
63gp 13g 21a
82gp 15g 34a
71gp 29g 32a

223gp 58g 87a

MacKinnon

82gp 24g 39a
64gp 14g 24a
72gp 21g 31a

218gp 59g 94a

Eichel

81gp 24g 32a
61gp 24g 33a

142gp 48g 65a

Draisaitl

37gp 2g 7a
72gp 19g 32a
82gp 29g 48a

191gp 50g 87a

Laine so far

73gp 36g 28a
82gp 44g 26a

155gp 80g 54a

82gp pace:

Laine 42g 29a 71pts
Eichel 28g 38a 66pts
Draisaitl 21g 37a 58pts

MacKinnon 22g 35a 57pts
Scheifele 21g 32a 53pts
Barkov 18g 27a 45pts

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
People like to compare the two because of the same draft class. Disregarding that I don't think comparing a wing to a centre is the right way to look at it. To me I'm looking at how good is Laine compared to Kucherov while taking into account RFA years.

Eichel/Drai are more like comparisons, high end kids signing from ELC.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Production/age-wise, they're still comparables. Personally, I hope Matthews signs first because I think he's going to get at least 500K more for being a #1C and there is a chance that Laine is going to get a massive contract if he keeps putting the puck in the net like he has been.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Eichel/Drai are more like comparisons, high end kids signing from ELC.
Different positions. That doesn't seem to be comparing apple to apples. You're just comparing ages not skills or responsibility.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Different positions. That doesn't seem to be comparing apple to apples. You're just comparing ages not skills or responsibility.

I'm comparing ELC's, which we should be comparing, and there hasn't been a Laine level winger signed from ELC for a long time.
Drai was a W/C and his contract was based on 1 high end season, Laines could be build on 3.

Drai
+1 season, NHL 9 points in 37 games, WHL 53 points in 32 games.
Laine
+1 season, 36 goals, 64 points in 73 games.

Drai
+2 season, AHL 2 points in 6 games, NHL 51 points in 72 games.
Laine
+2 season, 44 goals 70 points in 82 games.

Drai's contract kicked in for 17-18, signed after ELC. Laine's will kick for 19-20, starts after ELC.
Drai got 8.5Mx8.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad