Islanders Point Blank: Laich thinks Viz hit was a "Good" penalty to take.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I disagree. Its what most teams do in the playoffs. The rangers once successfully knocked Lafontaine out with a concussion in the playoffs and then the ranger fans attacked the ambulance. I think some fans have a hard time accepting that the game plan of the other team is "injure them as quickly as possible". Its hockey. That's the sport you are following. Denial doesn't change it. Time for the Isles to pull a barmgaurntner/vukota Job.

They go out there looking to establish space and to take away the other team's comfort zone. If the opposition is more worried about you than the puck, you win. Injuries that take key players out are simply gravy. No one hopes for it, but it sure does help now doesn't? :nod:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
P

I watched the video and if you watch wilson coming in after shooting the puck he starts taking a number of quick steps to launch himself into the Isle player, like he was targeting him regardless of the play.

It should have been a penalty, perhaps a major. Most rational NHL players will look to avoid making a late hit like that, it is clear that Wilson is an asz, and he might have been under doers from Trotz to do something like that. IMO, he should be suspended for intent to injure.

This x100

He made a B line right for Viz. Some Are say he left his feet(I can't tell ) but regardless it was a nasty and reckless hit.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Is a rough and physical game. It's great to play physical. But in no way shape or form is it ok to go looking to injure someone. This is thier career and how they take care of thier families. 99% of athletes understand the difference between playing hard and injuring.

Also, Okposo and none of the other isles to my knowledge came out and said it was "good" that Okpsoo injured Fehr becuse it put the caps at a disadvantage.

Boneheaded comment from Laich and I hope it doesn't reflect the feelings of the rest of the team.

I am glad you never watched games between us and Philly in the 70s. You may have never watched hockey again. This is all part of the game. You may not want to believe it, but it is.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
They go out there looking to establish space and to take away the other team's comfort zone. If the opposition is more worried about you than the puck, you win. Injuries that take key players out are simply gravy. No one hopes for it, but it sure does help now doesn't? :nod:
To say no one hopes for it is being extremely naïve. There is a few players on almost every team in hockey that hopes for it. All you have to do is watch. Caps have been running isles defensemen from the first whistle and I was thinking to myself wow what a smart move..with hamanic gone all they got to do is injure boychuck and the series is over. Now you have a caps player admit it.

Joe The Jerk

Nov 15, 2013
The guy basically said it was good that Wilson hit Viz like that because it knocked him out if the game and put the Isles at a disadvantage with only 5 defenseman left.

I guess Laich and the Caps are ok with injuring guys as long as it's an advantage to thier team.
I really don't know what to make of his comments. Pretty disturbing if you ask me.

http://islanderspointblank.com/isla...alls-hit-on-visnovsky-a-good-penalty-to-take/

Of course they are. They had the same mentality 20 years knocking Turgeon out of the playoffs with a cheap hit from behind.

This statement does not surprise me one bit, i am still hoping the league takes a serious look at that hit on Viz, it was clearly headhunting. God I hate Dale Hunter

Joe The Jerk

Nov 15, 2013

I understand the officials letting these guys throw bodies around, it was exciting to watch. But Wilson's hit was not clean and had every intention of going up high on Viz.

If Clutterbuck pulled a move like he would have been sent to the dressing room with a Fine in his mailbox.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I am glad you never watched games between us and Philly in the 70s. You may have never watched hockey again. This is all part of the game. You may not want to believe it, but it is.

So it's part of the game to intentionally try to injure another player? I don't think so.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Isles have been playing a wimpy version of hockey for two decades now. THey are basically not designed for playoff hockey. This is nothing new. THe caps were running straight for our defensemen to injure them from the first whistle of the first game. They only reason they didn't choose Tavares to run is because they knew if they send him to the hospital we would be gunning for OVechkin. The isles need to grow a pair in the next decade or two because its tiring watching two decades of wimpy hockey.

Well when the team started to stick up for itself with fight night vs Pitt the league took them to the woodshed for it...

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
So it's part of the game to intentionally try to injure another player? I don't think so.

WHen peca had his knee ruined from tucker if I remember correctly tucker had told peca during the game he was going to injure him. My guess is if you could hear what goes on at ice level almost every NHL playoff game has someone or six people actually telling someone on the other team they are going to attempt to end their season with a injury. THe NFL already had a recent scandle where the coach's put bounties on players...whoever injures them gets extra money. Its what sports is unless your following the NBA or baseball.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
To say no one hopes for it is being extremely naïve. There is a few players on almost every team in hockey that hopes for it. All you have to do is watch. Caps have been running isles defensemen from the first whistle and I was thinking to myself wow what a smart move..with hamanic gone all they got to do is injure boychuck and the series is over. Now you have a caps player admit it.

This^^^

And we can't even afford to have someone like martin do something about it because we need that line clicking.

Really think boulton should have been dressed starting game 2 and no later than game 3 once it was painfully obvious they were doing their best to run defenseman all night to the borderline of penalties. You hit the piñata enough and eventually it cracks

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
This x100

He made a B line right for Viz. Some Are say he left his feet(I can't tell ) but regardless it was a nasty and reckless hit.

People are saying otherwise but I'm looking at a replay vine and it's pretty clear he left his feet on the follow through.

In related news, it's a bummer to watch that hit over and over again, bothers me a lot that people are celebrating it.

beLIever

Mar 5, 2011
New York
WHen peca had his knee ruined from tucker if I remember correctly tucker had told peca during the game he was going to injure him. My guess is if you could hear what goes on at ice level almost every NHL playoff game has someone or six people actually telling someone on the other team they are going to attempt to end their season with a injury. THe NFL already had a recent scandle where the coach's put bounties on players...whoever injures them gets extra money. Its what sports is unless your following the NBA or baseball.

You don't think bounties could be in hockey the way they were or potentially still are in the NFL?

And even outside of a bounty system, intent to injure is real.

It may be there, but not only is it against the rules, it's illegal and what Marty McSorley ended up on probation for 18 months for, after swinging his stick at Donald Brashear. So saying intent to injure can/should be part of the game is basically saying players are criminals. There's plenty of room in the game for hitting. There should be zero room for headhunting.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
People are saying otherwise but I'm looking at a replay vine and it's pretty clear he left his feet on the follow through.

In related news, it's a bummer to watch that hit over and over again, bothers me a lot that people are celebrating it.

That's not the part that dictates it's a charge though. It's leaving your feet to make the hit. Leaving your feet from a follow through is legal, it's simply the result of exploding into the hit/making contact with another force.

Here's Boychuk doing it
JohnnyBoychukcrushes.gif

Matt Martin

crosbyhit.gif

You can literally google any big hitter's hit and you're likely to see them leave the ice on a follow through. It's just physics.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
It sounds like "they" or at least Laich were happy that Viz was injured.

"YAY! We hurt one of them so we'll have an advantage!"

Reading Laich's comments, trying to injure a d-man has a sense of premeditation to it.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
If a player comes out and says on a questionable hit that he is glad he injured the other player, the NHL just might fine or suspend that player....
Now rather than cry to the NHL, We need to take care of the trash ourselves!!!

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Isles should focus on their PP, that's one of the reasons they lost last night.

Exactly. Caps know they can bruise the Isles and not worry about the PP doing squat. If the PP burned the Caps, they wouldn't be lining up Vis left and right. It's simple really, the Isles haven't made the Caps pay for their play.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
So take a hard run at Holty or Carlson and take them out, than see what Laich thinks of that. What a scummy thing to say, I am really starting to hate that entire team, from the russian princess all the way to the fourth line scrubs.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks it was a clean hit. If that was Clutterbuck laying that hit everyone here would be defending him. Homerism running rampant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad