KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Reference:
$2,145,062 to $4,290,125 = 2nd
$4,290,126 to $6,435,186 = 1st, 3rd
$6,435,187 to $8,580,250 = 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Rangers cap situation:

At what number does NYR have to back away and take the comp?
Also - if there was no offer sheet, what are the salary expectations from NYR fans if Laf were to sign say... a 2yr bridge deal?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
They're 100% matching anything less than a 1st and a 3rd. Assuming he even signs one at all, considering the teams with the cap space and picks aren't likely to be playoff teams.

And he's likely looking at a 2yr bridge of 2.3-2.75 mil, with the understanding that the upcoming cap skyrocket will clear more than enough space to sign him long-term to a proper rate

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see the Rangers giving him a bridge deal similar to Kakko. Around 2-2.2 million for 2 or 3 years.

Any team who offers over 4.29 million would be out of their minds. So doubt we even get to the 2nd tier.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
They're 100% matching anything less than a 1st and a 3rd. Assuming he even signs one at all, considering the teams with the cap space and picks aren't likely to be playoff teams.

And he's likely looking at a 2yr bridge of 2.3-2.75 mil, with the understanding that the upcoming cap skyrocket will clear more than enough space to sign him long-term to a proper rate
Cap skyrocket? That's going to be one underwhelming fireworks show.

Reactions: macleish1974

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
If any player has been ripe for an offersheet, it is Laffy.

Sure, he's a project right now. But he's very young, probably wouldnt take more than that $4.2M threshhold to get him. You sign him for a year or 2, if he pans out you are a genius. Teams with cap room in rebuild mode may see the risk worth while at this stage.

Rangers have not given him a full chance to succeed. This kid has the tools, he just hasn't put it all together yet. I am sure the GM's in the league are split, like we are on these boards about him. Some believe he can still be good, others think he's a bust. It's certainly not a consensus.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If any player has been ripe for an offersheet, it is Laffy.

Sure, he's a project right now. But he's very young, probably wouldnt take more than that $4.2M threshhold to get him. You sign him for a year or 2, if he pans out you are a genius. Teams with cap room in rebuild mode may see the risk worth while at this stage.

Rangers have not given him a full chance to succeed. This kid has the tools, he just hasn't put it all together yet. I am sure the GM's in the league are split, like we are on these boards about him. Some believe he can still be good, others think he's a bust. It's certainly not a consensus.
IMO, Miller is a better target. People completely ignore his flaws and think he's amazing. He is not a good defenceman but people don't let that truth get in the way.

Reactions: CasusBelli and bbny

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
IMO, Miller is a better target. People completely ignore his flaws and think he's amazing. He is not a good defenceman but people don't let that truth get in the way.

Miller was 7th on the team in scoring as a D-man and was double digits plus in the +/- column. He even had more primary assists than Laf this season. He also manages this by playing opposite Trouba.

Trouba.

Why do f***ing fans of this team only want Adam Fox to be the only decent, puck moving defenseman? This team needs to be more mobile to compete and not stuck playing 90's hockey.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
How?

Miller takes so much criticism on this board because he has a bad "eye test" turnover once every 7-8 games.

He's one of the best DMan on this team, eats up minutes, PKs, has started getting PP, has become more physical, and he's the best DMan skater on the Rangers.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Miller was 7th on the team in scoring as a D-man and was double digits plus in the +/- column. He even had more primary assists than Laf this season. He also manages this by playing opposite Trouba.

Trouba.

Why do f***ing fans of this team only want Adam Fox to be the only decent, puck moving defenseman? This team needs to be more mobile to compete and not stuck playing 90's hockey.
How?

Miller takes so much criticism on this board because he has a bad "eye test" turnover once every 7-8 games.

He's one of the best DMan on this team, eats up minutes, PKs, has started getting PP, has become more physical, and he's the best DMan skater on the Rangers.
I don't want to hijack the thread but Miller is good at tracking down forwards who have a jump on him and getting back to break up odd man rushes.
When he is facing the play coming at him in his own zone, he's a mess.
If the other team starts cycling, he's a mess.
If he has to cover a man in front of his own net, he's a mess.
His knack of reversing to a man who is covered and has no option to get out so he can avoid getting hit drives me nuts.
Also, he doesn't make good decisions with the puck. He almost always throws it at an open guy rather than take a shot. I don't think he could ever take the next step and be a PPQB like Fox.
He puts enough up to make some people think he could be a #1Dman. I am telling you now, if you believe it and more importantly, pay him like one, you will be in a world of trouble for the length of that contract.

Which is why IMO, if another GM wants to offer sheet KAM because he thinks he sees a #1D, you let him think that and take the compensation.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I was convinced a Kakko offer sheet would be an issue last year. Nope. I don't see Lafreniere turning out much different here.

Reactions: hawksrule

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I feel like it often gets lost in all the disappointment RE expectations and IMO legit criticisms about his shortcomings:

In his 3 years with the NYR Lafreniere is tied for 2nd (with Panarin) on the team with 41 5v5 goals. Kreider has 47 in this timeframe.
People ignore it because it doesn't fit the narrative.
The rangers have enough space to lock laf down and match anything but the most extreme offer sheets. Likely laf doesn't want a long term contract at this point, so that he can get more on his next one.

Reactions: bhamill

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I can see where the speculation is coming from because the Rangers are in cap trouble, but the whole ass league is in cap trouble.

Who has cap to burn on Lafreniere just to get a free asset and burn some bridges along the way?
Only teams that really make sense to offersheeting laf would be

Detroit (but can't see steve Y doing that) as they're close but not 100% there yet, especially with zadina not breaking out at this point, they need some dynamic scoring.

Carolina potentially, as they have a bunch of roster decisions to make, 2 forwards signed past next year (not including AHO)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad