Proposal: Laf to Montreal

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
And I also understand that Montreal fans always have an infatuation with French Canadian players but the rangers can’t afford to lose him, don’t want to trade him, and don’t need prospects.
*some.
Rs had recent excessive win now rentals w/zero to show long term and there is need to overcome that by adding futures.
On top of that are the Lias Andersson/Kravtsov debacles.
None of that is not in dispute.
What is open to honest debate is if any one particular deal to add youth is profitable enuf return, which obv varies from deal to deal.

Yes and no.
We need to think smart and extend the window w/youth, which would have been easier done than said if we had not had bad drafting [Krav instead of Dobson, Andersson instead of anyone] and stupid win now rentals = fail.

But that said, while we are both correct here, i.e.,
-- want to enlarge the window, need to pay to acquire quality futures
and
-- we have very little to sell b'c we are contending now,

there is another scenario:
overpayment now which includes something useful now, + something useful down the road.

So if Guhle [helps now] + Rein [in 2-ish yrs when he gets here] ++
for
LaF ++

depending on the currency, in this instance it may be possible to have something where everybody winces, but everybody gets improvement.
win win

Of course, there are some who will only move serious assets if it is a swindle or a bargain in their favor.
I do not say deals have to be balanced or fair.
That is a secondary consideration after each side feels it got enough.
But you don't cut your nose to spite your face.
If you got enuf profit, you don't care what the other guy got.
O my gawd, Bern, please...please let's lock this. lol

Reactions: CTHabsfan

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
- an integral part to 1 of the top 3 lines currently in the NHL
- 22 years young
- 1st NYR. 1 OA pick in about 100 years

Trochek/fox/panarin/kreider/zibby and all on the 1 PP. they get the most time as a unit in the entire league on the PP.
All of them are hovering around a PPG or better.
If you replace zibby with laf on the PP he’d have 70-80 pts right now. That’s not a giant leap of faith….
- he’s a 2-way wing who finishes his checks and plays with a chippy attitude.
He’s only going to get better from here.

Not that it matters, but he had horrible puck luck for the 1st 20-25 games or so as well.

Take all of those factors into consideration and he’s had a hell of a year….
Him not being on 1PP and racking up pts passing/shooting from Fox and Panarin should also keep his next deal he signs lower. If there’s a silver lining, this is it.

Add to the fact that Drury and gorton don’t like each other.
I think it would take reinbacher +

Or something like Guhle + unprotected 1st for NYR to consider moving him….
Tbh, moving him at all just isn’t smart for NYR. He’s just scratching the surface of his potential.
And he’s doing it on a teams competing for prez trophy and cup.
Not a bottom feeder or non-playoff team.

All these factors matter.
bonkers. may Laf have much success and a long career in NY. can we lock this? Much like Paul Giamatti, this thread has gone Sideways

Reactions: HabsAddict

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
bonkers. may Laf have much success and a long career in NY. can we lock this? Much like Paul Giamatti, this thread has gone Sideways
They asked. That’s what it would likely take for NYR to consider to move him…..
Getting guy that can produce at MSG at a high level when they are young is a rarity.

Not saying I would do it from MTL perspective, but that’s what it would take to get done.
Then NYR have to factor in the whole PR mess of trading their lotto winning 1 OA pick who was playing well for them.

As good as I believe Reinbacher is going to be, he’s still an NHL prospect that hasn’t played a game.

Guhle has upside, but is having a down season compared to last year.

1st is a high 1st… likely top 10, but again, an unknown at this point in time.

At this point in time, there’s just no reason for NYR to even consider moving him unless the return is tilted in our favor.
He’s not going to break the bank on his next deal, so what’s the point?

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Rs had recent excessive win now rentals w/zero to show long term and there is need to overcome that by adding futures.
What is open to honest debate is if any one particular deal to add youth is profitable enuf return, which obv varies from deal to deal.

Yes and no.
We need to think smart and extend the window w/youth, which would have been easier done than said if we had not had bad drafting [Krav instead of Dobson, Andersson instead of anyone] and stupid win now rentals = fail.

and

overpayment now which includes something useful now, + something useful down the road.

for
LaF ++

depending on the currency, in this instance it may be possible to have something where everybody winces, but everybody gets improvement.
win win

Of course, there are some who will only move serious assets if it is a swindle or a bargain in their favor.
Dude guhle and reinbacher for laff? That is lopsided to the max, Habs take the biggest L of all time if this ever happens

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
The pressure is indeed a fair point to consider

I hope you don't think my OP is putting him down. On the contrary, I see what you are seeing. I see opportunity with the Rangers and their cap situation. They could play around in countless other ways and move other parts to keep Laf, I get it.

But hey....this is HFboards, where spitball trades are always put out there. I think the package I offer is competitive and provides a win opportunity for both teams.

If I was the Rangers, I would ask for Reinbacher as Bern stated. Totally fair. Obviously I am trying to work something without our top defensive prospects.
Honestly, the bigger issue with your OP is timing.

The Rangers have Lafreniere under lock and key for another season at close to 40% of what he's probably worth at this level. They're win-now, and almost nothing massive will change for next season where they will still be in win-now mode but with clocks on Lafreniere, Shesterkin, Miller, and a few others.

This is a trade we maybe come back to in the 2025 offseason if the numbers aren't working out elsewhere.

Reactions: jay from jersey

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Honestly, the bigger issue with your OP is timing.

The Rangers have Lafreniere under lock and key for another season at close to 40% of what he's probably worth at this level. They're win-now, and almost nothing massive will change for next season where they will still be in win-now mode but with clocks on Lafreniere, Shesterkin, Miller, and a few others.

This is a trade we maybe come back to in the 2025 offseason if the numbers aren't working out elsewhere.
Fair points

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Totally fair.

I think he's slowly developing into a pretty well-rounded player and his value would certainly not be the 'sell low' it was a couple of years ago.

If anyone has paid attention to the kid, he's much more confident than he has been.

Hes making good, and smart, plays with the puck

A lot of that has to do with the space he has with most folks more concerned with Panarin, but Lafreniere is making the right plays and it's showing.

I do not envision the Rangers moving this kid anytime soon.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Yes and no.

and

for
LaF ++

win win

You never disappoint with your ridiculous valuations of Ranger players. How DID Kravstov and and Andersson turn out? I wouldn’t trade Guhle OR Reinbacher for Laf, let alone both. It would turn out exponentially worse for Montreal than Drouin/Sergachev. Keep Laf. The vast majority of Montreal fans couldn't care less that he's French. Don't let a vocal minority convince you otherwise

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Okay...assuming that right now, kreider, panarin, zibs, trochek, fox and shesty are all better or more valuable players than Laf. Are you telling me that the Rangers 7 best players are all better than the Habs best player?

Okay 👍
Kinda. Except mika. Laff should be on pp1 over him. Habs dont have a player that would be on rangers pp1. Who on the habs do you take over laff? Dont make me laugh and say the dwarf

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
By all means, keep him. There's no need for the Rangers to move him abd there's no way Montreal guts thier defence trading away thier best two young D for a winger
Gladly… that’s the whole point. He finally looks comfortable… there’s no point in moving him

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Forget about individuals, the best team in the league trading a key player on their best line for more future pieces doesn't make sense. The Rangers aren't having to cheat with the cap like some other teams so their cap situation is manageable. The stands are filled, the fans are happy and the on ice product is damn good.

You always want to improve the team but the offer has to be overwhelming to do so in these conditions. FFS even the moaning myrtles on HF Rangers board are mildly satisfied and I've never seen that before.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
laf to montreal is probably the trade proposal with the widest spread between offer and ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad