Proposal: Laf to Montreal

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
2024 Jets 1st + the better of the Habs 2025 1st rounders (no protection) + Harris/Struble

I'm willing to roll the dice on the Habs 2025 picks being in the 10-15 range and not top 3....but with a couple of injuries who knows.

Harris and Struble are both young bottom pair guys, getting squeezed out by our D prospects.

Obviously Laf is rounding into form and could continue to take steps forward. This affords the Rangers some cap flexibility in 2025/26 when Laf's current contract is up. I suspect you guys will likely say no, and move off from some other contracts.

Laf's value is at an all-time high, after plummeting to some lows in years past. Kudos to the Rangers for hanging on to him, when he was looking like a bust.

So what do you get....
2024 1st (likely 18-24 range)
2025 1st (likely 10-15 range ***however no protection)
3rd pair depth defencemen who is cost controlled

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Still no from Montreal.
Is it the price? or fear that Laf is still a bust. If we were to make a play with our draft capital, much like the Dach trade or Newhook trade, I feel this is the price for Laf. Moving forward he would slot in nicely with our top 6.

Slaf - Suzuki - Mack/Demi/Lindstrom/Catton
Laf - Dach - Caufield

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Oh good another Laf to MTL thread.....

Let me give you a preview........Habs fans will pay less than NYR fans will want.....
Which is why I upped the ante. Rangers fans may ask for Hutson/Mailloux or even Reinbacher. At which point, the deal would have to be tweaked. I think my offer is quite competitive.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
I don't think they'd consider without our 2024 first... or another quality piece.

@bernmeister said he'd come up with a proposal in another thread last week. He also hinted Barron would be of some interest, but I am guessing a better piece is the main target of the deal.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Is it the price? or fear that Laf is still a bust. If we were to make a play with our draft capital, much like the Dach trade or Newhook trade, I feel this is the price for Laf. Moving forward he would slot in nicely with our top 6.

Slaf - Suzuki - Mack/Demi/Lindstrom/Catton
Laf - Dach - Caufield
We've had this topic countless times.

Has he become a good player? Yes. He's a nice complimentary piece. Can he be more than a middle six player in terms of production? Maybe. He just doesn't move the needle for me. If I'm spending assets, I'm aiming higher.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
2024 Jets 1st + the better of the Habs 2025 1st rounders (no protection) + Harris/Struble

I'm willing to roll the dice on the Habs 2025 picks being in the 10-15 range and not top 3....but with a couple of injuries who knows.

Harris and Struble are both young bottom pair guys, getting squeezed out by our D prospects.

Obviously Laf is rounding into form and could continue to take steps forward. This affords the Rangers some cap flexibility in 2025/26 when Laf's current contract is up. I suspect you guys will likely say no, and move off from some other contracts.

Laf's value is at an all-time high, after plummeting to some lows in years past. Kudos to the Rangers for hanging on to him, when he was looking like a bust.

So what do you get....
kudos to identify selling LaF high to a Canada based team COULD make sense for Rs,
howev, above offer is not enuf

and to get enuf, it's gonna take a big package
sorry but am swamped and will not have time to post what I came up with until this w'e at earliest
Can say it will be extensive, help Habs in that it deals from position of depth doing so in a way that improves team short term while not gutting long term. Howev, it will require top $ for LaF, and that is not open to negotiation. As to Rs, it is a gamble, but one which has currency addressing immediate and upcoming needs to some extent, while adding further compensation that is a prudent risk.

til I can get to it

Oh good another Laf to MTL thread.....

Let me give you a preview. Habs fans will pay less than NYR fans will want, then there will be page after page of arguing back and forth for it just to get locked again.
Fair assessment based on recent history, and we see everyone wants a bargain. Price of an asset is based on both immediate production, and projected production to start, and then the opportunity cost of if better to keep or deal, which is partly value but also currency involved.

Rs have zero reason to deal LaF until there is too much of a good deal on the table, full stop, period, end of story. It so happens that we have Othmann available now in case 'the Martians kidnapped LaF' with Gabe Per. 2ish yrs away from that. But we are not making him available to do anybody any favors; we require signif backscratch to our end.

Let's remember yours truly said IF as appeared reasonably plausible LaF overcame his skating issues being NHL subpar he would turn into another Steve Vickers.
We now see his just entering the middle of that area, with upside. Oil should break the bank just to see what he'd look like w/McD.
And of course, competitive bidding further ups the price.

Which is why I upped the ante. Rangers fans may ask for Hutson/Mailloux or even Reinbacher. At which point, the deal would have to be tweaked. I think my offer is quite competitive.
It will take a package including Rein, about half dozen assets ish each side.

ok, not more clues...

I don't think they'd consider without our 2024 first... or another quality piece.

@bernmeister is supposed to propose something
I get the 2024 1st, there are workarounds so you can keep that.
But signif quality will be required for signif quality, and it is not a matter of equal value -- which lots of peeps here push. In reality it is if the return does/does not = or project to = enuf profit.

shout out for paying attention!
I'll post once I have a block of hours I can stay on top of responses.

Happy Easter in advance to all....

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I don't see why NYR move away from Lafrenière this summer, if they're going to do so, it's more likely to be in the summer of '25 when his new contract is up.

If Montreal is going to move very high picks, I figure this year's is more likely, once we know when the pick is exactly. ie, moving a #6 overall pick is more attractive than moving "best 1st rounder next season", while still giving NYR strong value without adding salary. Harris and Struble don't matter much either way in all this.

Reactions: HabsQC and Chose

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

So what do you get....

I would be absolutely furious if Montreal did something this stupid.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
ask yourself would you sell Slaf for an offer like that?
Well, no, but Slaf is 2 years younger, and isn't a year from needing a raise on a cap-constrained team.

I think the premise on this kind of thread has to be that NYR don't see Lafrenière as someone to build around and don't want to commit a long-term contract to him, in which case they'll want a futures only package.

Reactions: alasania94

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I love how everyone alway puts Lafreniere down as if he is some passenger.

1st - the rangers aren’t trading their first #1 draft pick.

2nd - he is half the reason Panarin is at 100 pts. He in no passenger on that line.

3rd - if he was on the power play he would most likely have at least 15 more points, which would put him at 62 pts in 72 games

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
To everyone saying the Rangers say no, did I misread the OP?

I thought I read the best 1st the Habs have next year with no protection on it? That's a wild ask and I like Lafreniere.
Wild ask indeed. I put it in there, because I am a gambling man. I think Habs crawl from the basement dweller into the fringe playoff contenders next year...so likely the Habs pick is 10-15. I also think the most likely scenario for the Calgary/Florida fiasco pick is 10-15 as well.

But.......one injury to say...Suzuki and that Habs pick could be in the lottery.

I'm trying to come up with something that is fair. So far fans of both teams hate it.

I would be absolutely furious if Montreal did something this stupid.

It is a gamble. But is it stupid if the Jets pick is say 24th.....the 2025 is 15th.....and Harris?

It could be stupid if it is Jets 18th.....Habs 2025 1st OV and Harris.

But that is the gamble. Guess your not a gambling man?

I for one would make this bet.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Yup, I agree. Just trade this package for a similar player. LaF be under enormous pressure in Montreal
The pressure is indeed a fair point to consider

I love how everyone alway puts Lafreniere down as if he is some passenger.

1st - the rangers aren’t trading their first #1 draft pick.

2nd - he is half the reason Panarin is at 100 pts. He in no passenger on that line.

3rd - if he was on the power play he would most likely have at least 15 more points, which would put him at 62 pts in 72 games
I hope you don't think my OP is putting him down. On the contrary, I see what you are seeing. I see opportunity with the Rangers and their cap situation. They could play around in countless other ways and move other parts to keep Laf, I get it.

But hey....this is HFboards, where spitball trades are always put out there. I think the package I offer is competitive and provides a win opportunity for both teams.

If I was the Rangers, I would ask for Reinbacher as Bern stated. Totally fair. Obviously I am trying to work something without our top defensive prospects.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
ask yourself would you sell Slaf for an offer like that?
No I wouldn't. Two reasons.

1) Slaf is trending higher than Laf right now
2) Our team has cap flexibility coming out of our ass and tons of money for Slaf when the time comes.

Decisions need to be made for the Rangers re: cap. Maybe Laf is not a decision they don't want to make, and they can create space somewhere else. That is fair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad