Proposal: Laf to Montreal

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
No thanks.

If he got any sort of PP1 time, he's easily finish the season with 30+ goals and 60+ points.

Although, I have to say, I appreciate the quality offer, even though it doesn't make sense for where we are as a team.

It's come a long way from Laf for the great one, Josh Gretzky Anderson and his extraordinary 8 goals.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
No I wouldn't. Two reasons.

1) Slaf is trending higher than Laf right now
2) Our team has cap flexibility coming out of our ass and tons of money for Slaf when the time comes.

Decisions need to be made for the Rangers re: cap. Maybe Laf is not a decision they don't want to make, and they can create space somewhere else. That is fair.
Rangers have been working the cap since it was introduced, they will find a way, they are actually spending less against the cap than the habs this season.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Rangers have been working the cap since it was introduced, they will find a way, they are actually spending less against the cap than the habs this season.
Shesty, Laf and Miller due for big raises in sumer of '25. They have some players dropping off and a cap that is rising. But, will it be enough to sign all three, plus other players to fill out the roster? How much do they give Kakko this summer? Lindgren? Do they re-sign Wennberg? Roslovic?

There is some cost controlled quality coming up (Othmann, McConnell-Barker, Sykora) I see that.

Will be interesting to follow moving forward how they manage.

I for one.....would keep Lafreniere if I was them. Which is obviously why as a Habs fan, I made this proposal to begin with.

Reactions: bernmeister

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
2024 Jets 1st + the better of the Habs 2025 1st rounders (no protection) + Harris/Struble

I'm willing to roll the dice on the Habs 2025 picks being in the 10-15 range and not top 3....but with a couple of injuries who knows.

Harris and Struble are both young bottom pair guys, getting squeezed out by our D prospects.

Obviously Laf is rounding into form and could continue to take steps forward. This affords the Rangers some cap flexibility in 2025/26 when Laf's current contract is up. I suspect you guys will likely say no, and move off from some other contracts.

Laf's value is at an all-time high, after plummeting to some lows in years past. Kudos to the Rangers for hanging on to him, when he was looking like a bust.

So what do you get....
2024 1st (likely 18-24 range)
2025 1st (likely 10-15 range ***however no protection)
3rd pair depth defencemen who is cost controlled
LOL. Last summer habs fans said he wasnt worth a 1st, some said maybe not even a 2nd. Hes one of the best 5v5 players in the sport and hes only 22. He aint going nowhere. Hed instantly be your best player, no thanks.

If you want to be real, start with suzuki and go from there

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
LOL. Last summer habs fans said he wasnt worth a 1st, some said maybe not even a 2nd. Hes one of the best 5v5 players in the sport and hes only 22. He aint going nowhere. Hed instantly be your best player, no thanks.

If you want to be real, start with suzuki and go from there
Lmao is you for real?

Reactions: viceroy

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Position: Suzuki:
Leadership: Suzuki
Goal scoring: Suzuki
Play making: Suzuki
200 ft game: Suzuki
PP: Suzuki
PK: Suzuki
Draft rank: Laf
Out to lunch: LaffyTaffy
haha-lmao.gif

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Please, I thought we were done with this.

Rangers are happy with him, and there's zero reason for Montreal to pay what he's actually cost.

These threads are shitshow whether its a Hab fan offering what the OP is or a Rangers fan asking for Caufield/Slafkovsky +.

Reactions: viceroy

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Put down the pipe dude.
one gets the feeling that Habs fans only start these threads so they can pearl clutch when Rangers fans ask for huge value. It's just an opportunity for them to publically voice their support for their own players. Which, great! I'm glad they think Suzuki is all world..

The Rangers, however, aren't trying to build a team. They're trying to win a Cup.

Lafreniere is on literally the most productive 5v5 line in the league as a 22 year old - the only top flight 5v5 line on the team. He'd have 20 more points by years end on a PP with either of Fox or Bread, let alone both. He brings edge and swagger and is beloved in the room. He even has a goofy moustache.

So why, if you, a Habs fan, are so educated on the Rangers cap situation moving forward, would you choose to ignore the fact that Lafreniere is an absolutely essential piece to the openness of the team's competitive window? Can you name 3 players not under long term contract who the Rangers might feel are more important than 13? I can't.

This team context can't be news to you. Nor can it be unreasonable to you that such a players value to the team is greater than in a vacuum - in whatever video-game-ass flummery this thread represents. Lafrenieres value to this team is greater than his potential value to any other team. Why would they move him for anything less than the moon?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
one gets the feeling that Habs fans only start these threads so they can pearl clutch when Rangers fans ask for huge value. It's just an opportunity for them to publically voice their support for their own players. Which, great! I'm glad they think Suzuki is all world..

The Rangers, however, aren't trying to build a team. They're trying to win a Cup.

Lafreniere is on literally the most productive 5v5 line in the league as a 22 year old - the only top flight 5v5 line on the team. He'd have 20 more points by years end on a PP with either of Fox or Bread, let alone both. He brings edge and swagger and is beloved in the room. He even has a goofy moustache.

So why, if you, a Habs fan, are so educated on the Rangers cap situation moving forward, would you choose to ignore the fact that Lafreniere is an absolutely essential piece to the openness of the team's competitive window? Can you name 3 players not under long term contract who the Rangers might feel are more important than 13? I can't.

This team context can't be news to you. Nor can it be unreasonable to you that such a players value to the team is greater than in a vacuum - in whatever video-game-ass flummery this thread represents. Lafrenieres value to this team is greater than his potential value to any other team. Why would they move him for anything less than the moon?
I've tried to answer all your points that you have made. And agree....I would not move on from him if I was the Rangers. Which is why, I as a Habs fan, would want him. He is looking fantastic this year. My offer to some Habs fans is a massive overpay. To some Rangers fans its a massive underpay. It is an offer that has risk for both teams (that non conditional 2025 1st).

LaffyTaffy stated that Laf "would instantly be our best player" and is better than Suzuki.

Your argument above....and LaffyTaffy's statement are not exactly the same thing.

If you believe that Laf would instantly be our best player....you can also put down the pipe.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Ship = sailed.
Lafrenière is no longer available, and not anywhere near a rationalizable value anyways.
It didn't happen last summer, so it's not happening.

We can all go back to our busy lives until Bern drops his anticipated trilogy:
Laf + Z. Jones + Vesey + Goodrow + Trouba + 2027 6th
for
Everything everywhere all at once (except Gallagher)

• Haha
Reactions: Mrfenn92 and Chose

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
To everyone saying the Rangers say no, did I misread the OP?

I thought I read the best 1st the Habs have next year with no protection on it? That's a wild ask and I like Lafreniere.
It comes down to how you analyze risk..... as a Habs fan, you're seeing the potential 1st overall pick. Rangers fans will see a possible tween pick as being more likely.

Reactions: waitin425

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
This ship has long sailed with regards to obtaining Laffy. It is going to cost an amount that us Habs fans will not like now.

I applaud the Rags management for their patience with regards to Laffy's development. It has paid off... Now can we talk about Kakko? ;)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The time to acquire Laf was last draft. At this point I have to believe he’s out of reach now unless Rangers need cap space or can’t afford him? Anyway, he’s not going to be cheap.

kudos to identify selling LaF high to a Canada based team COULD make sense for Rs,
howev, above offer is not enuf

and to get enuf, it's gonna take a big package
sorry but am swamped and will not have time to post what I came up with until this w'e at earliest
Can say it will be extensive, help Habs in that it deals from position of depth doing so in a way that improves team short term while not gutting long term. Howev, it will require top $ for LaF, and that is not open to negotiation. As to Rs, it is a gamble, but one which has currency addressing immediate and upcoming needs to some extent, while adding further compensation that is a prudent risk.

til I can get to it

Fair assessment based on recent history, and we see everyone wants a bargain. Price of an asset is based on both immediate production, and projected production to start, and then the opportunity cost of if better to keep or deal, which is partly value but also currency involved.

Rs have zero reason to deal LaF until there is too much of a good deal on the table, full stop, period, end of story. It so happens that we have Othmann available now in case 'the Martians kidnapped LaF' with Gabe Per. 2ish yrs away from that. But we are not making him available to do anybody any favors; we require signif backscratch to our end.

Let's remember yours truly said IF as appeared reasonably plausible LaF overcame his skating issues being NHL subpar he would turn into another Steve Vickers.
We now see his just entering the middle of that area, with upside. Oil should break the bank just to see what he'd look like w/McD.
And of course, competitive bidding further ups the price.

It will take a package including Rein, about half dozen assets ish each side.

ok, not more clues...

I get the 2024 1st, there are workarounds so you can keep that.
But signif quality will be required for signif quality, and it is not a matter of equal value -- which lots of peeps here push. In reality it is if the return does/does not = or project to = enuf profit.

shout out for paying attention!
I'll post once I have a block of hours I can stay on top of responses.

Happy Easter in advance to all....
Reinbacher is off-limit. Barron could be included in a package though but there is no way Reinbacher is included. He’s untouchable

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
"Oh a French name! Let's get him on the Habs!!"

Y'all didn't want him when he was struggling. You're not getting him now.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
This ship has long sailed with regards to obtaining Laffy. It is going to cost an amount that us Habs fans will not like now.

I applaud the Rags management for their patience with regards to Laffy's development. It has paid off... Now can we talk about Kakko? ;)
With an expiring contract and a lack of a clear breakout season, he's already a more likely trade candidate.

Problem then is that Montreal won't want to move their own firsts for him. Maybe Winnipeg's ?

• Haha
Reactions: UnSandvich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad