Ladd Little Wheeler VS Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's early for the SEW line, but they have it all. It's the first line the Jets have had that look like they are going to force the other team to adapt and try to shut down, whereas LLW was always a line to try to shut down other lines.

Their shot metrics were all very impressive this season.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Are we talking about this season or what?

LLW arguably was a top 5 line in the NHL.
They didn't shutdown top lines. They out played top lines and generated a ton of offense.

This year though they did not perform as well as they normally do, whether that be small sample or injury issues or whatever.

Really, this year, the best performing topline with Wheeler on it was actually Ehlers-Little-Wheeler (59.49 xGF%).

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Ehlers Scheif Wheeler will be a top line in the league next year and for years to come. LLW was fairly consistent up until this last year, so they won't really get full credit.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
Schweehlers seems like it will be a bona fide top line in the years to come. LLW always kind of felt like a grinding, hustling second line rather than just out skilling everyone like schwehlers

I also feel like scheif and fly will only get better

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Schweehlers seems like it will be a bona fide top line in the years to come. LLW always kind of felt like a grinding, hustling second line rather than just out skilling everyone like schwehlers

As much as I love all 3 guys & feel extremely positive about Scheif & Ehlers in particular, I'm not willing to bet that these 3 will stay together as a line. As much chemistry as they have shown, I'll need to see a few more months worth & see where some of the other skill guys (Little, Connor, Petan) fit before declaring them a sure thing

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
2011-present

Trios that scored goals at similar or lower rate as LLW:
Sedins and Hansen
Krejci, Iginla, Lucic
Ansimov, Panarin, Kane
Toews, Hossa, Saad
Eberle, RNH, Hall
Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell
Forsberg, Ribeiro, Neal

Similar or worse relCorsi:
Sedins and Hansen
Getzlaf, Ryan, Perry
Johnson, Kucherov, Palat
Backstrom, Johansson, Ovechkin
Oshie, Backes, Steen

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
LLW for now

If ESW does what they did last 25 games and carried it into the next year.
Absolutely them, but

ESW will have BRIAN LITTLE as 2nd line. That is the best 2nd Line C the JETS 2.0 will have and he is a 1C

LLW didn't really have a 2C to ease the pressure from them.

So LLW - they are criminally underrated in the whole league.

Though i like the future of ESW - especially when other teams top center intentionally don't match up with ESW. That's the respect ESW will have.
With ESW they are so fast ( skilled) that other Center get's tired quicker and have less gas at the end of the game.

Edit:

is it possible that ESW line gets 70 points or more each? Doable i think.

Wheeler 25 + 60
Schiefele 30 + 40
Ehlers 30 +40?
But lots of variable needs to come in play, especially injuries.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
2011-present

Trios that scored goals at similar or lower rate as LLW:
Sedins and Hansen
Krejci, Iginla, Lucic
Ansimov, Panarin, Kane
Toews, Hossa, Saad
Eberle, RNH, Hall
Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell
Forsberg, Ribeiro, Neal

Similar or worse relCorsi:
Sedins and Hansen
Getzlaf, Ryan, Perry
Johnson, Kucherov, Palat
Backstrom, Johansson, Ovechkin
Oshie, Backes, Steen

Are you ignoring power play, because at some point you have to factor that in? PP goals also count towards the final score.

I like the robustness of shot metrics but at some point skill generates better scoring chances. I liked LLW a lot, but I think that the small sample of ESW gives me the impression that they'll be at a higher level than LLW were.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Are you ignoring power play, because at some point you have to factor that in? PP goals also count towards the final score.

I like the robustness of shot metrics but at some point skill generates better scoring chances. I liked LLW a lot, but I think that the small sample of ESW gives me the impression that they'll be at a higher level than LLW were.

They score like the best and out shoot like the best. They also fair well in scoring chance generation and expected goals.
PP has been shown to be very much a product of systems.

The only thing different is GA, and well...
pav-beach.jpg

It's nothing against ESW, I just think even those that respect LLW, like yourself, really undervalue how good they really were.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
2013-16 seasons:
Wheeler 3rd in points for wingers
Ladd 24th in points for wingers
Little 11th in points for centres

Consider that their are 60 wingers and 30 centres for top lines, that's pretty good.

I think if you include PP they are doing fine.

I fully believe 100% that "lacking top end talent" was not the Jets problems, but rather lacking overall top to bottom talent.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They score like the best and out shoot like the best. They also fair well in scoring chance generation and expected goals.
PP has been shown to be very much a product of systems.

The only thing different is GA, and well...
pav-beach.jpg

It's nothing against ESW, I just think even those that respect LLW, like yourself, really undervalue how good they really were.

I'm not so sure it's undervaluing LLW so much as a high value for ESW. I think Scheifele is becoming a really dominant C, and Ehlers is already a top end producer in all ways. I think they are going to be a special combination. Their production oner the past 10 games or so has been remarkable.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
LLW was easy vote for me. Criminally underrated line. Not sure whether ESW will even survive training camp. Mo could easily go back to PSS and ELW as the top 2. And if Laine or Matthews are drafted, all bets are off.

edit: 74% of Jets fans are fickle :)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Holy Recency Bias, Batman!
Let them play more than 1/2 a season together before comparing them to a fixture line, like LLW.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I see no harm in asking the question now. In a year or so there will be too much statistical data out there about them and it will be comparing numbers against each other. At least at this point opinions can still be used.

LLW was my pick. They get no respect.

If we can surround Little with some real talent next year I think he could have a "breakout" season considering he won't have to take ALL the toughs for once in his career.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I really like what I'm seeing with ESW, and think they CAN surpass LLW, but it's too early to say they have for me. LLW was a very, very strong line that had no issues going head to head with any line in the NHL. They weren't afforded enough support by the other lines, alas.

Wish there was a "too early to tell" option in the poll.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I see no harm in asking the question now. In a year or so there will be too much statistical data out there about them and it will be comparing numbers against each other. At least at this point opinions can still be used.

LLW was my pick. They get no respect.

If we can surround Little with some real talent next year I think he could have a "breakout" season considering he won't have to take ALL the toughs for once in his career.

Agree that it's an interesting question at this point, even though perhaps a bit early. I go for ESW, despite not having the numbers to back it up yet. Interestingly, Scheifele started to "break out" when he was put into the #1 role and was playing against all the tough match-ups.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I feel that this is not a great poll.... I can't believe the lopsidedness of it!

LLW was an amazing line, ESW has been together for a small fraction of the games and have been playing meaningless hockey for their entirety. There is simply no fair comparison between the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad