Confirmed Trade: [LA/WSH] Tom Gilbert to Washington for a conditional fifth-round pick in 2017.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
The bigger joke is this post. Did you just start watching hockey? Trades like this have taken place for many years, even predating the salary cap.

I like how you insult me, that really adds to your argument.

Please provide a list of deals where a player ended up being traded for nothing.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Peter Holland to Arizona for a conditional seventh-round pick, or nothing at all if the condition isn't met.

But, the Leafs didn't retain salary.

37Bergenov14

Jul 14, 2016
I like how you insult me, that really adds to your argument.

Please provide a list of deals where a player ended up being traded for nothing.

Dane fox
Corey potter
Devan dubynk
Jeff drouin-deslauriers
Patrick killeen
Yuri alexandrov
Petr kalus

...shall I go on...?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
man i feel sort of sorry for him. he would have stuck with the Wild had backstrom been healthy enough to get rid of during amnesty buyouts.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Every future considerations deal ever ended up with one team giving nothing for the player? :laugh:

Not all, but most.
At least tangibly speaking.
We may never know what goes on in GM phone calls.

"Remember that futures deal we made last year? Toss in a 7th/retain 10% of this player's salary in this new deal and we'll call it even."
(Like the Vrbata/Fairchild trade below.)

Who knows.

But as it goes, must future considerations turn into nothing tangible or explicit.

Some examples where it did though:
July 17, 2009 - Washington traded Keith Seabrook to Calgary for f.c. - Washington was later rewarded 2012 seventh round pick (#195-Christian Djoos)

December 12, 2005 - Carolina traded Radim Vrbata to Chicago for f.c. - Carolina was later 2007 fourth round pick (#96-Cade Fairchild), which was tacked onto the later trade of Babchuk for Richmond + 4th

June 25th, 2002 - Vancouver traded Ryan Bonni to Toronto for f.c. - Vancouver later rewarded 2003 eighth round pick (#252-Sergei Topol)

February 21, 2001 - Los Angeles traded Rob Blake and Steven Reinprecht to Colorado for Adam Deadmarsh, Aaron Miller, 2001 first round pick (#30-David Steckel) and f.c - Los Angeles was later rewarded Jared Aulin and 2003 first round pick (#26-Brian Boyle)

Various expansion draft agreements - the trade would be described as something like, "Columbus agrees not to select Dominik Hasek", but formally with the league, Buffalo received "future considerations".

There are more trades though were it does not turn into anything...
Adam Cracknell for f.c.
Kevin Poulin for f.c.
Nick Boynton for f.c.
Gus Mortson for f.c.
etc.

And going beyond future considerations, tonnes of trades with conditional picks that never convert, such that one team effectively got nothing:
Josh Green for conditional 4th (not converted)
Carter Ashton and David Broll for conditional 7th (not converted)
2016 3rd for Jimmy Vesey (left as UFA before signing)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dean Lombardi is really hilarious managing the salary cap. He's always sending one-way contracts to the minors, then is hustling to dump some, but last year they had that ridiculous Scuderi trade, and now this with a guy they didn't even need who was paid way too much. It is truly something that he has managed to win two Stanley Cups, because he has done very little to demonstrate he knows how to operate a roster under a salary cap.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Every future considerations deal ever ended up with one team giving nothing for the player? :laugh:

No but there are plenty.

Hell even a few years ago the Kings got a servicable Freddy Modin for nothing. The 'condition' on the IB elieve 7th round pick was the Kings had to make the cup finals :laugh:

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
My thought is - what's got them worried?

If all else fails....put this guy in....

What/who are they worried about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad