GDT: LA Kings @ The Great Red Tank (3pm EST, 1/7/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
depositphotos_569069210-stock-illustration-tank-icon-vector-illustration.jpg
Fire up za tank!
IMG_6896.jpeg

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I see we are going the route of let’s try the same thing over and over again even though it isn’t working.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Pacioretty-Strome-Lapierre
Protas-McMichael-Mantha
Malenstyn-Dowd-NAK

Fehervary-Carlson
TVR-Jensen
Edmundson-Bear

Kuemper

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
At what point is it ok to criticize Carbery and MacLellan for the Kuznetsov at 1C gambit?

Part of a GM's job is to take away destructive toys that the coach likes so both deserve some pretty heavy criticism.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
At what point is it ok to criticize Carbery and MacLellan for the Kuznetsov at 1C gambit?

Part of a GM's job is to take away destructive toys that the coach likes so both deserve some pretty heavy criticism.
I think it's OK to criticize both or either but I don't think the decision is a knock on Carberys coaching ability. I think it says more about trying to figure out how to piece together all his broken toys and doing the best he can with what he's got to work with. Kuzy isn't good enough to carry the 3rd line on his own and scratching him long term might not be in the playbook per MGMT.

Reactions: DWGie26

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think it's OK to criticize both or either but I don't think the decision is a knock on Carberys coaching ability. I think it says more about trying to figure out how to piece together all his broken toys and doing the best he can with what he's got to work with. Kuzy isn't good enough to carry the 3rd line on his own and scratching him long term might not be in the playbook per MGMT.

I'm not sure how giving their worst player the most ice time can be seen as anything but a very bad coaching decision. And the lack of ice time for Strome recently despite being their all-around best forward.

Kind of leads me to believe maybe he doesn't really know who his good players are.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm not sure how giving their worst player the most ice time can be seen as anything but a very bad coaching decision. And the lack of ice time for Strome recently despite being their all-around best forward.

Kind of leads me to believe maybe he doesn't really know who his good players are.
I don't think that's the case. I'm pretty sure even the most average of hockey fans could tell you from an eye test that 92 has been brutal this season. There's more to it than that.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Of course he knows. I wish we could get rid of Kuzy but no coach or GM in the league would sit him.

That said, I would much to prefer to see Strome back as 1C. Much more effective.

Also, if Lappy is going to be here, I don’t mind putting Kuzy back at RW with Strome and OV. That actually worked a bit. Patches-Lappy-Wilson as third line (or second).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't think that's the case. I'm pretty sure even the most average of hockey fans could tell you from an eye test that 92 has been brutal this season. There's more to it than that.

What more could there be? He's the coach. He sets the lineup and the lines. And he calls lines while on the bench.

It's not like the team is rolling and momentum is preventing him from demoting or scratching Kuznetsov. They stink and he's not doing anything to change it. I think he deserves criticism unless we can prove that MacLellan is forcing lineup decisions. In which case things are really messed up!

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Only weak organizations get taken hostage by a malcontent with zero value. The only leverage they have is icetime but it's like they're largely afraid of losing him completely. When there's no apparent difference most of the time. Not like pretending he's decent will lead to someone wanting him.

They're pretty well broken 5v5 offensively but, uh, what is it that they see from him that deserves a plum assignment? Straight trash. Good for the tank, tho.

Reactions: twabby

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I know he has one more year after this on his contract, but wouldn’t Dowd be a good candidate to move at TDL?

Some contending team gets a good shutdown center, and we move Protas to 4C or something.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I know he has one more year after this on his contract, but wouldn’t Dowd be a good candidate to move at TDL?

Some contending team gets a good shutdown center, and we move Protas to 4C or something.
Hate to see him go but agree. Be a nice trade chip, somebody would overpay for him probably.

Reactions: RedRocking
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad