Kings News: LA Kings sign Jamie McBain to 1 year deal.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
After signing McBain, that's 15 defensemen under contract. 16 including Voynov. The Kings are getting Lucic for about the same amount as Williams last year. Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, and Pearson are taking up more space. Have to sign some RFA's. Only so many dollars, especially with the Voynov question still lingering.

Doesn't look like it's going to be the perfect roster, but find one anywhere. As long as the strengths that the Kings do have outweigh the wekanesses, they'll be alright. They don't have to win the Cup in the first game of the season, so see how it works out.

There wasn't money for a UFA signing, picking up someone would always have required trade to fit in with the cap.

I guess it comes down to when Voynov is able to come back and what form he's in after missing a year and coming off an injury. With the way the Kings season went last year and the Pacific adding some good pieces recently, I was hoping the Kings start the year with a slightly better defense then last year.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
There wasn't money for a UFA signing, picking up someone would always have required trade to fit in with the cap.

I guess it comes down to when Voynov is able to come back and what form he's in after missing a year and coming off an injury. With the way the Kings season went last year and the Pacific adding some good pieces recently, I was hoping the Kings start the year with a slightly better defense then last year.

When Voynov comes back they will return to a significantly better defense then they had almost all of last year. It may take Voynov a little time to get back into full swing but even a slightly diminished VV is better then what most teams have as their second D.

Ron*

Guess who is in the last year of his contract? Would be an excellent deadline add if his team is out of it. Not going to give you too much information but his name rhymes with Billy Witchell.

Florida is in the East, so they will never be out of it, even if they are playing poorly.

Which I don't think they will anyway. Definitely a playoff team in the East this season.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Maybe pair him with Muzzin or something, would make him less of a liability in his own zone. He definitely has some offensive upside though.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Florida is in the East, so they will never be out of it, even if they are playing poorly.

Which I don't think they will anyway. Definitely a playoff team in the East this season.

Hmm. I don't see them close to a 100 point team, which is what it may take this year. I expect them to finish around 10th again, with Boston below them but Columbus above them.

All their Willie's belong to us.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I guess you forgot about Shore. And the two goaltenders.

Given that Voynov in all likelihood is coming back, there is not enough room for all.

Again, take your pick.

You're including the unsigned players. Add the numbers next to each position, they add up to 19.

Or go above the minors/suspended on the other site, and guess what, you see 19!

So yes, all of Shore, Weal, Forbort and Andreoff will be there, but as of now none of the impact the cap, even your own chart reflects that. Unless somehow Voynov plays opening night, then it's Shore, Weal, Andreoff Forbort/McBain.

Last edited:

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Honestly, Sekera was getting destroyed in his own corners as much as McBain was. Both are pretty weak defensively, but I actually think McBain has better offensive skills. Maybe Sekera has better skating but no way is he worth almost ten times more than McBain. McBain had a better PPG and +/- with less minutes than Sekera.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I see McBain is being compared to Sekera already.

Sekera might have some shortcomings but lets not get crazy. Salary is no science either. You simply cant say, Sekera is not 10 times as good, just because he is getting paid 10x as much.

As for this signing, good deal, just like Enroth.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
I see McBain is being compared to Sekera already.

Sekera might have some shortcomings but lets not get crazy. Salary is no science either. You simply cant say, Sekera is not 10 times as good, just because he is getting paid 10x as much.

As for this signing, good deal, just like Enroth.

When did I say that? Reread what I wrote. I'll give you the main idea: McBain's deal is a better deal than Sekera's. How is that crazy? It's a fact that he is getting paid almost 10 times as much, interpret that how you want; I'm not saying that it necessarily correlates to skill. Ultimately, Edmonton has a 5.5 mil cap hit for the next few years while we have a 600k cap hit for a defenseman.

And to go back to what you brought up: I think Sekera overall is a little bit better. Sekera is an average second pairing dman/ third pairing.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
When did I say that? Reread what I wrote.
I did, I cant come to another conclusion.

Sekera, 3rd pairing defenseman now yes ?

Honestly, Sekera was getting destroyed in his own corners as much as McBain was. Both are pretty weak defensively, but I actually think McBain has better offensive skills. Maybe Sekera has better skating but no way is he worth almost ten times more than McBain. McBain had a better PPG and +/- with less minutes than Sekera.

Sekera is an average second pairing dman/ third pairing.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
"He's not worth 10 times as much" not: He's not ten times better; therefore he is not worth ten times the amount. I guess it's splitting hairs, but I just wanted to point out to you that no way did I mean what you thought I meant.

I rephrased it for you in the previous post too.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
When did I say that? Reread what I wrote. I'll give you the main idea: McBain's deal is a better deal than Sekera's. How is that crazy? It's a fact that he is getting paid almost 10 times as much, interpret that how you want; I'm not saying that it necessarily correlates to skill. Ultimately, Edmonton has a 5.5 mil cap hit for the next few years while we have a 600k cap hit for a defenseman.

And to go back to what you brought up: I think Sekera overall is a little bit better. Sekera is an average second pairing dman/ third pairing.

Holy crap no. I was going to call you out on that on an earlier post but you're REALLY stretching it now. Just because he had a rough start in LA that doesn't knock down everything he's done throughout his career. He's an immense #3 dman and a good #2. At the very worst, he's on par with Voynov and Shattenkirk. You're going to have to make a HELL of an argument to sink him below that.

I know that's not your point but that's an outlandish statement.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Eh. 23 pts in 73 games is pretty average, even for a 2nd pairing. Solid skater for sure, but Voynov is better overall. If we had both him and Voynov on this team, he would be number 4/5.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Eh. 23 pts in 73 games is pretty average, even for a 2nd pairing. Solid skater for sure, but Voynov is better overall. If we had both him and Voynov on this team, he would be number 4/5.

So it's all about points now?

Not going to bother re-linking all the stats/support that prove him an excellent 2nd pairing/good first pairing defenseman that AT WORST is a Voynov clone.

What in the world are you basing this on, just the mainboard "oh he passed 40 points once" logic? I'm genuinely curious.

I know your point was just that McBain is a bargin in comparison but that's like saying Yannick Weber is a bargain because Muzzin gets paid 3x as much, they're just not even close the same role or ability, and you're way off base about Sekera's actual ability.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Ok dude, you win, calm down. I didn't think what I said would be such a big deal.

I just couldn't think of another stat that would be truly representative of him because he played for such ****** teams. I did look at his corsi numbers and they aren't pretty. But I also realize he played for Buffalo and Carolina.

Enjoy your weekend man

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Slightly OT perhaps, but one thing that's happened for me after watching the Kings finally have a bunch of sucess over these past few years is I don't feel the need to villainize the guys who are leaving the way I sort of felt obligated to in the past (Blake, Cammelleri, etc). Williams wants to cash in the goodwill he's earned here? go ahead man, I'll still cheer for him as long as he's not playing LA.

With Sekera, it might have been something as simple as not liking the dressing room vibes. He's played for Buffalo, Carolina, and now he's in Edmonton. The "win-now" mentality in LA might have been a bit too intense of an adjustment to make overnight. Just a thought.

Captain Mittens*

Slightly OT perhaps, but one thing that's happened for me after watching the Kings finally have a bunch of sucess over these past few years is I don't feel the need to villainize the guys who are leaving the way I sort of felt obligated to in the past (Blake, Cammelleri, etc). Williams wants to cash in the goodwill he's earned here? go ahead man, I'll still cheer for him as long as he's not playing LA.

With Sekera, it might have been something as simple as not liking the dressing room vibes. He's played for Buffalo, Carolina, and now he's in Edmonton. The "win-now" mentality in LA might have been a bit too intense of an adjustment to make overnight. Just a thought.
Because we are living in a salary world and I am a salary cap girl

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ok dude, you win, calm down. I didn't think what I said would be such a big deal.

I just couldn't think of another stat that would be truly representative of him because he played for such ****** teams. I did look at his corsi numbers and they aren't pretty. But I also realize he played for Buffalo and Carolina.

Enjoy your weekend man

Wasn't upset, just thought it was a bad comparison that didn't really do either player justice. It's all good man.

Funny thing is Sekera and McBain (and McNabb) have spent time with each other on those ****** teams, yet we're chasing them around :laugh:

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The Kings were rolling prior to the Sekera trade with McBain in their line up. part of me wonders if Sekera was a bit of a distraction when he came in causing LA to lose some momentum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad