Kings News: LA Kings sign Jamie McBain to 1 year deal.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Hmm, Siberia or Manhattan Beach in December? Pretty easy call there even if the money is less. Good to see him back.

scryan

May 1, 2013
600k?
Thats totally worth it.
(Is there a not sarcastic emoticon?)

Ron*

We now have $4.565 MM of CAP space left, $8.732 MM if you count Voynov's salary at zero...which doesn't seem likely at this point because all signs point that Dean wants to keep him in the fold.

We still have one roster spot available. What can we get for $4.565?

Or do we need to get keep that available to extend Kopitar and Lucic for the following season? Because only Lewis, Andreoff, McBain, and Enroth fall off the following season, even if we choose not to resign Lewis.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
We now have $4.565 MM of CAP space left, $8.732 MM if you count Voynov's salary at zero...which doesn't seem likely at this point because all signs point that Dean wants to keep him in the fold.

Or do we need to get keep that available to extend Kopitar and Lucic for the following season? Because only Lewis, Andreoff, McBain, and Enroth fall off the following season, even if we choose not to resign Lewis.

About $3.5M of that will go to Andreoff, Shore, Weal and Forbort.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

Jordan Weal. You don't have to spend every penny. One would assume that the Kings will carry a seventh D while Voynov is out.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
This signing maybe the first instance of having the AHL team in Ontario working to our advantage. It's possible that McBain doesn't sign this deal if the AHL team is still in Manchester. He might not sign a two way deal if he might have to spend half the season away from his family in Manchester. Now wether he's on the Kings roster or the Reign roster. He doesn't have to move or leave his family behind.

The more I think about this signing, the more I like it.

Ron*

He's a great passer, very underrated in this regard.

He does get punished in his own end, however. That's the concern. If he can just put 5 to 10 lbs. on and start punishing others, a la McNabb, then he would really be a keeper.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
McBain would likely be sent down when Voynov returns.

Probably. The two way saves the team money. Won't impact cap space, and won't exempt him from clearing waivers. If he's sent down, another team might take him. They would have to keep him up though. Schultz might get sent down also. He'd have to clear. It's not inconceivable that a team early in the season that feels their D is weak might grab one of these guys.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Will be nice to see what he can do with a full training camp. Kings coaches working with him on his D will help a lot I hope. My only issue with McBain is he sucks at physical positioning, he gets caught on the wrong side of his guy on the boards so much...if he ends up playing 2nd pairing with McNabb it'll be boom-bust. Like the guy a lot though, just hoping for the best.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Deadline space. We'll need it. Usually around the time this team is on life support.

Guess who is in the last year of his contract? Would be an excellent deadline add if his team is out of it. Not going to give you too much information but his name rhymes with Billy Witchell.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Low risk move to add depth on the Blue line . Someone will no doubt get injured next season.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I mean it's basically the same D as last year. What could go wrong? :popcorn:

Of course that was the 4th best in the league.... so there's that....

After signing McBain, that's 15 defensemen under contract. 16 including Voynov. The Kings are getting Lucic for about the same amount as Williams last year. Muzzin, Martinez, Toffoli, and Pearson are taking up more space. Have to sign some RFA's. Only so many dollars, especially with the Voynov question still lingering.

Doesn't look like it's going to be the perfect roster, but find one anywhere. As long as the strengths that the Kings do have outweigh the wekanesses, they'll be alright. They don't have to win the Cup in the first game of the season, so see how it works out.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Low risk move to add depth on the Blue line . Someone will no doubt get injured next season.

Exactly my thoughts on why to sign him, especially with Colin Miller gone. Both are right handed D, which seem hard to find.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It's like getting Mike Green at one tenth the cost! On the real though, he can be serviceable if needed.

I think the defense will improve over last year. Hopefully Martinez will be healthy and I anticipate McNabb and Muzzin will continue an upward trajectory. DD will be DD. Greene is the worry to me. He's not an 80 game player. Hopefully Forbort gets some games in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad