Rumor: LA and their 2nd overall pick

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Comparisons are rarely ever used as a 1 to 1, but a point of reference for someone who wants the Cliff Notes on what type of game they play. Saying someone is like Lidstrom doesn't mean they will become a top 5 all time player. And then if I said someone plays more like Pronger, well, you would immediately be able to foil the two styles. Or you could get caught up in all the differences because no two players are exactly alike. The latter feels a little too easy and nitpicky for my tastes, but your pallete may be more suited for it.

What I do know is basically every professional scout on record is projecting Drysdale to be a top pairing defender. And I also know from watching his film that he's an incredible skater with impressive movement on all edges in the same vein as Quinn Hughes. Oh shit, I made a comparable.

If you can't see elite talent watching Drysdale skate and move the puck in the zone, then I'm not sure where we can go with any discussion about it. He's kind of incredible. You only see a couple guys each year that are as good with his feet as Drysdale.

Comparables are fine on their own. My issue is when people read that comparable and all of the sudden that prospect is the second coming of the comparable. (IE, Byfield = Malkin, Drysdale = Makar) THAT is my problem.

Regarding Drysdale being elite, I don't see it. I see Jake Sanderson having more elite upside than Drysdale. He's almost as good a skater as Drysdale while being (IMO) better defensively, has a better shot, is more physical, and as good a passer.

Reactions: archimet and MBH

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Comparables are fine on their own. My issue is when people read that comparable and all of the sudden that prospect is the second coming of the comparable. (IE, Byfield = Malkin, Drysdale = Makar) THAT is my problem.

Regarding Drysdale being elite, I don't see it. I see Jake Sanderson having more elite upside than Drysdale. He's almost as good a skater as Drysdale while being (IMO) better defensively, has a better shot, is more physical, and as good a passer.
Sanderson doesn’t have a better shot. You could argue the other stuff, but that is wrong. Drysdale has a good wrister and a weak slap shot. Sanderson is average to below average on all his shots. From my viewings AND scouting reports.

and you are leaving out the categories that make drysdale better. I.e. how they use their skating, IQ, space recognition.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Take a look at this, my dude.
Kings assistant Marco Sturm has the inside scoop on top prospect Tim Stutzle

I'm also in the camp that's not sold on Byfield being a bonafide #1 center. Over the last 2 weeks I've been working from home which has given me a lot of time to f*** about and watch hockey stuff. I came across a video of Byfield's season highlights showing every point he scored, and a good 75% (at least) were just rushes beginning from turnovers at his blueline rather than offensive zone possession. Great speed, but he's not going to see 2 on 1's nearly as often in the NHL as he does in the OHL. (Unless he's going to be playing against Detroit. :help:)

Well, I'm a Wolves season ticket holder, and uhhh, no, this is simply not true.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Also have to be very careful when reading the exact quotes from scouts when they use comparison. They rarely if ever say, "This player will be the next (insert NHL player here)."

The example that comes to my mind is Tomas Jurco. Wings brass said he has "Hossa-type skills." Perhaps some saw that and thought, "We got the next Hossa!" But in reality, you have any idea how many prospects out there share "Hossa-type skills" but don't have Hossa's physical strength, hockey sense and compete level in order to actually make an impact on games with those skills?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I kinda feel more and more excited about Drysdale. If skating is his strong suit and he has a good chance at developing into a top pairing D I don't think that is a bad use of 4th overall. It's likely a forward is going 1,2,3 so if we draft a forward we are taking the consensus 4th best forward when we could have the 1st best D. That might be a good strategy. This team is going to poop the bed for years to come we can grab game breaking forwards if our luck ever turns around in the lottery.

Askarov kind fits the mold too but I still think its easy to fill the net with serviceable goalies from FA or get super lucky late in the draft or grab an oversea's goalie at some point.

I am kinda starting to think Drysdale is my guy. Elite skating almost always turns into a player of some sort so IMO he has supper low bust potential, lots of top pairing potential, and some star potential.

I think its a nice conservative option rather than drafting a forward with holes at 4th.

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39 and Bench

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Byfield would be amazing in a red wings jersey. Big, powerful Center with skill and speed. I don’t know how he we land him but sign me up.

imagine a line of Rasmussen, Byfield and Mantha. average height is 6’5 and weight of 223 lbs (possibly upwards of 230 in a couple years). How would opposing team even handle them on a cycle? Trick question, they couldn’t. Or keep out MLB line together and run Byfield+Zadina+Veleno.

There are so many fun possibilities if we could find a way to land Byfield but ultimately I don’t see it happening
Speed would be an issue.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Speed would be an issue.

Not really, Mantha skates very well, Byfield is an elite skater. Even Ras looked much better in this regard in the AHL this year, he should be above average, especially considering the ground he covers.

Byfield is a top 5 skater in this draft, regardless of size. It is a part of what makes him so tantalizing.

Does Ras skate a lot worse than Bertuzzi? Nope...

Reactions: SirloinUB

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I think Sanderson is as good a skater, too.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Not really, Mantha skates very well, Byfield is an elite skater. Even Ras looked much better in this regard in the AHL this year, he should be above average, especially considering the ground he covers.

Byfield is a top 5 skater in this draft, regardless of size. It is a part of what makes him so tantalizing.

Does Ras skate a lot worse than Bertuzzi? Nope...
Maybe but unless we make a trade it will never happen anyway.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I don't think we are moving off our pick unless someone overpays for it. We definitely are not going to move up, with the current crop of players. The most we can hope for is that Byfield slips to 4th because someone wants Drysdale as a D-man, before drafting another forward.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
i wish we knew yzermans way of thinking lol he needs an HF account. i feel like if byfield fell to us you obviously take him but dont think he would trade the pick i feel like he will go drysdale honestly

Reactions: DatsDeking

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
dibs being kozlov

you mfer. :laugh:

Kozzie is probably my favorite hockey player ever. There is literally one trade I was okay with the Wings making that included him.

I still remember the roller coaster of emotions during the Hasek trade. Like “I’m done with this team grrrrr” to “okay, they got Hasek, you literally can’t turn that trade down”.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Interesting fantasy blog post.

I’ve floated the idea before, suggesting they swap 2nd for 3rd with LA if the team had a strong preference for either Byfield or Stützle, but now let’s take it even a step further: could Ottawa pick second and third? The idea of getting Byfield or Stützle at third overall to be the cornerstone of the rebuild is tantalizing, but if the team somehow managed to net both of them it could provide a major boost to the prospect pool.

Now, it should be noted that this is purely speculation, and loose speculation at that, but with the draft still well over a month away, and actual games even further away for the Sens, this is the stuff that fans have to turn to. The main reason that I think this has slightly more legs than rumours of trading for the first overall pick has to do with an earlier article Dillman wrote on The Athletic, shortly after the Kings won the second overall pick. In the article, Dillman quoted TSN’s Craig Button, who said that, in addition to having Byfield and Stützle in the conversation at 2nd overall, he would also be considering defenceman Jamie Drysdale.

Byfield AND Stützle? It’s (slightly) more likely than you think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad