Rumor: LA and their 2nd overall pick

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Hearing rumors that LA is looking to draft Stutzle over Byfield. For us this won't change a thing (since Ottawa 100% is gonna pick Byfield), but very interesting that Byfield is not a bonafide 2nd overall pick.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Is it? LA could just think Stutzle is “safer” but still damn good and Byfield has a higher ceiling but a higher bust factor

Byfield definitely has higher potential. I can see Byfield getting some NHL games next season while Stutzle lights up the DEL for another year with Seider as his wingman.

Would rather pick Byfield though, if all works out he can be a Malkin level 1st line C.

Last edited:

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Byfield definitely has a higher potential. I can see Byfield getting some NHL games next season while Stutzle lights up the DEL for another year with Stutzle as his wingman.

Would rather pick Byfield though, if all works out he can be a Malkin level 1st line C.
If the Wings were lucky enough to draft Byfield, I see no reason to force him into the league. I think he still needs a year to round out his game. I think realistically he wouldn't play for the Wings until possible halfway through the 2021-22 season. I don't think he should be forced into play before he is ready.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Byfield definitely has a higher potential. I can see Byfield getting some NHL games next season while Stutzle lights up the DEL for another year with Stutzle as his wingman.

Whoa! Mannheim figure out cloning? Quick Chris, buy the team now!

Reactions: waltdetroit

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Byfield definitely has a higher potential. I can see Byfield getting some NHL games next season while Stutzle lights up the DEL for another year with Seider as his wingman.

Right, I guess that was what I was saying. It's not super interesting because the profiles of the two guys. Byfield if he truly hits his ceiling will be the best player in the draft. He'd be a bona-fide 1C and better than Lafreniere based on position. But he's less likely to hit that ultimate ceiling. He's more likely to flop and then guys like Marco Rossi and Lucas Raymond pass him by.

Stutzle isn't guaranteed to be anything in particular, but he seems like a safe bet to hit a solid level and play at it. Very unscientific numbers... Byfield could be a 6-10 on a 10 point scale (provided he doesn't bust) and Stutzle could be like a 7.5-9. Take Stutzle and you're betting on Byfield being in the lower range of his talent. Take Byfield and you're betting on him being in the higher range.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Byfield would be amazing in a red wings jersey. Big, powerful Center with skill and speed. I don’t know how he we land him but sign me up.

imagine a line of Rasmussen, Byfield and Mantha. average height is 6’5 and weight of 223 lbs (possibly upwards of 230 in a couple years). How would opposing team even handle them on a cycle? Trick question, they couldn’t. Or keep out MLB line together and run Byfield+Zadina+Veleno.

There are so many fun possibilities if we could find a way to land Byfield but ultimately I don’t see it happening

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Around the time of the first draft lottery where we were slotted @ #4, I think the general consensus on this site had become Stutzle as the #2 pick

I think the "Byfield as a #2 pick" notion has gained back momentum again in the last month or so

This is all based on my experience reading the main boards/ prospect boards/ other hockey sites, I don't have anyway to quantify/ prove it, but Byfield as a #3 pick (or later) isn't a new idea based on posts I've read on this site

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Would our 1st +2nd+ Veleno get it?

There's fair value for a trade, and there's the price required to make a trade.

Put yourself in Ottawa's shoes, and assume Byfield is your BPA at 3. You know you are going to get at the very worst your #3 and #5 ranked player sitting at #3. You have the chance to draft the focal point center of your franchise; what would motivate you to give up that slot? Does a future middle 6 center and a crack at #32 mean enough to give up Byfield and settle with a winger instead? And give Byfield to your in-division opponent?

There are a lot of moving parts to assess.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Around the time of the first draft lottery where we were slotted @ #4, I think the general consensus on this site had become Stutzle as the #2 pick

I think the "Byfield as a #2 pick" notion has gained back momentum again in the last month or so

This is all based on my experience reading the main boards/ prospect boards/ other hockey sites, I don't have anyway to quantify/ prove it, but Byfield as a #3 pick (or later) isn't a new idea based on posts I've read on this site

I think Ottawa landing at #3 was basically the end of the potential Byfield slip. The fit makes sense, if they are really that motivated for defense, they can address it at #5.

I don't think it was unreasonable to see Byfield or Stutzle slip months ago, but I think over time things have gotten more certain of them solidifying the top 3...not less.

Reactions: PullHard

Dead Thing

Jun 24, 2018
We get Byfield at 3 and then(in 21/22)

Bert/Larkin/Zadina
Ras/Byfield/Mantha
Fabbri/Veleno/Adams
Timashov/Nielsen*/Berggren
*Nielsen gets moved at TDL for picks.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Right, I guess that was what I was saying. It's not super interesting because the profiles of the two guys. Byfield if he truly hits his ceiling will be the best player in the draft. He'd be a bona-fide 1C and better than Lafreniere based on position. But he's less likely to hit that ultimate ceiling. He's more likely to flop and then guys like Marco Rossi and Lucas Raymond pass him by.

Stutzle isn't guaranteed to be anything in particular, but he seems like a safe bet to hit a solid level and play at it. Very unscientific numbers... Byfield could be a 6-10 on a 10 point scale (provided he doesn't bust) and Stutzle could be like a 7.5-9. Take Stutzle and you're betting on Byfield being in the lower range of his talent. Take Byfield and you're betting on him being in the higher range.

No offense, but he has far less bust potential than Rossi. I agree though that there is some risk that Byfield does not turn out to be a top-six center.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Just from an outsider perspective. I'd take Byfield number two, but it's not a unanimous choice. Bob's scouts had Byfield and Stutzle mixed for the number 2 slot, which usually gives an accurate insight into the boards of NHL teams. Also, I think Byfield needs one more years of seasoning before he could play in the league for sure. He is a very young birthday and still a bit raw in certain areas of his game.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Outside of picking on some bad teams in his division, I really don’t see the concerns with Byfield to make me think he has bust potential. It honestly just sounds like people needed a box for weakness to fill and went with it

Dude is one of the youngest players in the top 10

People rip on him because his WJC-20 performance was not good, but look at Lafreniere a year ago... Also did not have a good WJC-20 tournament... People are forgetting that Lafreniere is almost a year older...

Reactions: FabricDetails

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Byfield vs Stutzle becoming a debate pisses me off even more about the lottery. We not only got pushed out 3 spots we got pushed out of both tiers. At least if got 3rd pick we would still be comparably drafting 2nd overall talent. But no we had to get pushed out the door of the whole party and splash in the mud.

I hope we get lucky and our 4th overall becomes a top 3 pick in redrafts in like 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad