Line Combos: L1 -A line in need of Augmentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Agree in general with the fact that they suck defensively. Case and point letting that 2nd LA goal against with 30s left in the 2nd. They coast. It's the only of our 4 lines that coast. What should Randy do?

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Kessel's defensive game and cowardice is such a liability. Having a player who refuses to play like a normal player becomes a massive issue when everybody else is beginning to fall in line with the program.

Agreed.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
This first line needs to be punished by getting no PP time. Let Winnik-Kadri-Santos get it .The topline is just stat padding with PP opportunity.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I think they should be split up-

The first line is very much a "one and done team" what I mean is they come at you with speed and they'll create a shot on goal BUT either that shot is a goal OR its stopped/turned over and they're back in their own end stuck because they aren't adept at playitng defensively. That line has no substainablity in other teams end for long stretches, mainly because Kessel won't go into the corners to fight for the puck, JVR just doesn't care and floats, Bozak at least tries to cycle and keep the puck in the other teams end but kinda hard to do when its only you.

I'd personally take JVR off that line and move up a guy like Santo (yes I know it hurts the Kadri line) but I feel he'd be an asset up front and has some skill level to play with Kessel. JVR? I feel he needs to be benched for his lackadasial attitude out there but knowing Carlyle it won't happen, I'd be fine with him sliding down to the 2nd or even 3rd line to help rejolt him and balance out the lines.

Santo-Bozak-Kessel wouldn't be a bad first line IMO.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
It might be time to start giving them sheltered zone starts... so many times when they start in their own end they cant get out, and when they can get out it's probably only because Bozak won the faceoff.

leafstilldeath*

didn't anyone notice (drum roll)

Kessel with sustained offensive zone pressure in OT against the Kings.

Is this a sign to put Kadri-Kessel together?

heck make it a Komarov-Kadri-Kessel the KKK line

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
didn't anyone notice (drum roll)

Kessel with sustained offensive zone pressure in OT against the Kings.

Is this a sign to put Kadri-Kessel together?

heck make it a Komarov-Kadri-Kessel the KKK line

I noticed that once the game was tied 3-3 in the 3rd the top line didn't see much ice time 5 on 5 compared to the other lines.
More room for Kessel to work in OT 4 on 4.
The only thing I don't like about this team right now, Bozak/Kessel/JVR 5 on 5.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I've been saying for a long time I'd like to see Komarov-Kadri-Kessel. So once Komarov is healthy, I hope they give that a shot. Thing is, as terrible defensively as the top line is, as long as they're putting up points, I doubt they get broken up. Go with JVR-Holland-Santorelli on the second line. Winnik-Bozak-Clarkson on the third line.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't really like the idea of changing the second line as of right now, but I struggle to find lines I feel fine with if we don't. My preferred lines would be:

Komarov - Kadri - Kessel
Winnik - Holland - Lupul
JVR - Bozak - Santorelli
Panik - Smith - Clarkson

Alternatively:

Komarov - Kadri - Kessel
Winnik - Bozak - Santorelli
JVR - Holland - Lupul
Panik - Smith - Clarkson

It might be time to start giving them sheltered zone starts... so many times when they start in their own end they cant get out, and when they can get out it's probably only because Bozak won the faceoff.

They kind of do play sheltered minutes in a way. A lot of offensive zone starts if I remember correctly. Either way I don't see why we keep a line that is such a liability defensively and possession wise together, and then play them mostly with a very struggling Gardiner and Holzer to stabilize.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I can't find a good reason to put Kadri and Kessel together, seems like an easy way to make sure we're easy to shut down. I like that if Kessel's line is having an off night we still have Kadri's line.

The line could use a more defensive winger like Winnik or Komarov and free up JVR to give another line a little more offensive punch.

Kane and Toews don't play together, Crosby and Malkin don't, why should we overload the first line?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I can't find a good reason to put Kadri and Kessel together, seems like an easy way to make sure we're easy to shut down. I like that if Kessel's line is having an off night we still have Kadri's line.

The line could use a more defensive winger like Winnik or Komarov and free up JVR to give another line a little more offensive punch.

Kane and Toews don't play together, Crosby and Malkin don't, why should we overload the first line?

I'm all for putting Komorov on the top line, he'd be our Dustin Brown.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA

We've finally got more than 1 line scoring,don't put all your eggs in 1 basket.only on the PP.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

I feel like JVR is just a lazy ass, he gets his goals by other people doing the work and him being in the vicinity of the net for the tap in. He never gets dirty in the corners, causes a turnover and sets someone else up its always bozak doing it or kessel carrying it down the ice. I would like to see Lupul/Komarov/Clarkson(even him, yes) take his spot and slot him down on the 3rd line, make him work for some points instead of just waiting for his linemates to do it for him, maybe Holland will rub off on him as well.

Edit: I am not saying he is incapable but I think he is spoiled right now and needs a reminder of how he needs to play hockey. He is also the lowest plus/minus among our forwards. He is often quite lazy receiving breakout passes along the boards and bails out on them or mishandles it, not sure if he is afraid of a dman pinching in on him or what but his game has been frustrating me this season despite his point totals.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have never been a fan of Phil Kessel. I hated the trade that brought him here (once everyone saw what the draft picks turned into). I've always thought he was an awkward fit in Toronto and doesn't handle the spotlight well.

All that being said...... and I've been watching his play very closely...... he has two defensive errors (aka: has cost the Leafs two goals this season) by my calculations. That's certainly not what I was expecting. I was prepared to dump all over Kessel this season and see him at the bottom of my list. Instead, he's almost at the top.

Is he just incredibly lucky? You tell me because his mistakes aren't costing the Leafs goals. He must be doing something right, or he must be the luckiest guy on earth.

Kessel isn't a blatant Jake Gardiner type turnover machine that leads directly to a bad goal against. But he's an incredibly frustrating inability to engage in any puck battle without backing off like he's worried about his own personal well being. So when the team is hemmed in our own end on an extended cycle, chances are he's not going to retrieve any puck for you. He's just a bystander half the time, and instead of being a puck hound, when he's pressured he just hurries off a crap low percentage chance and backs away.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I feel like JVR is just a lazy ass, he gets his goals by other people doing the work and him being in the vicinity of the net for the tap in. He never gets dirty in the corners, causes a turnover and sets someone else up its always bozak doing it or kessel carrying it down the ice. I would like to see Lupul/Komarov/Clarkson(even him, yes) take his spot and slot him down on the 3rd line, make him work for some points instead of just waiting for his linemates to do it for him, maybe Holland will rub off on him as well.

I agree, JVR has a bad attitude most nights, I mean just looking at his body language when hes on the bench chewing on his mouthpiece screams "I don't give a crap" and yea he doesn't exactly put a solid effort on the ice either.

I disagree though about the goals, yes JVR gets a lot of tips/deflections but he also does have a really strong and powerful shot (when he decides to unleash it). The problem with JVR is he has a lot of skills but he just doesn't want it bad enough, let me put it to this way... if he wanted it bad enough he could be an elite player out there, he's got the size/shot/speed/net prescen etc to make things happen BUT he's more content just hot dogging it out there and like you said waiting for others to set things up.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Kessel isn't a blatant Jake Gardiner type turnover machine that leads directly to a bad goal against. But he's an incredibly frustrating inability to engage in any puck battle without backing off like he's worried about his own personal well being. So when the team is hemmed in our own end on an extended cycle, chances are he's not going to retrieve any puck for you. He's just a bystander half the time, and instead of being a puck hound, when he's pressured he just hurries off a crap low percentage chance and backs away.

This is what makes Kessel an "average" defensive player! He does use his speed to back check and close off space for the opposition, I'll give him that the effort level is there. Yea your right about the battling in the corners, it's a key aspect of a defensive game and he shys away and waits on the outside as his team mates battle for the puck and hopes to get a freebie from them... I'm not saying Kessel has to be a Claude Lemieux in the corners but buddy has to learn to take a hit for the good of the team.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I agree, JVR has a bad attitude most nights, I mean just looking at his body language when hes on the bench chewing on his mouthpiece screams "I don't give a crap" and yea he doesn't exactly put a solid effort on the ice either.

I disagree though about the goals, yes JVR gets a lot of tips/deflections but he also does have a really strong and powerful shot (when he decides to unleash it). The problem with JVR is he has a lot of skills but he just doesn't want it bad enough, let me put it to this way... if he wanted it bad enough he could be an elite player out there, he's got the size/shot/speed/net prescen etc to make things happen BUT he's more content just hot dogging it out there and like you said waiting for others to set things up.

Oh absolutely, he has all the skill in the world and last season he had nights where he was dominant but he has yet to put a game in like that this season. It seems like points are coming easy for him or something, he doesn't look or play like a near ppg guy. My dad and I are constantly frustrated by his play but somehow he keeps burying it or getting third assists :help:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is what makes Kessel an "average" defensive player! He does use his speed to back check and close off space for the opposition, I'll give him that the effort level is there. Yea your right about the battling in the corners, it's a key aspect of a defensive game and he shys away and waits on the outside as his team mates battle for the puck and hopes to get a freebie from them... I'm not saying Kessel has to be a Claude Lemieux in the corners but buddy has to learn to take a hit for the good of the team.

Yeah he does back check when he feels like it, but once he gets to the scene of the battle he plays like he just got his nails done, which basically makes him useless. If you're getting cycled to death in your own end on a 5 on 5, and there's one guy who categorically will not be battling for that puck, you're already at a massive disadvantage. Even a guy like Jeff Skinner would probably be embarrassed to play that way. Why does Kessel have to be so unusually soft?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

He does in the playoffs, at least IMO. Right now he isn't in that desperation mode, I am okay with our 8 million dollar player skimping out a bit(maybe not this much) and staying healthy, he isn't paid to win a Selke either. I think we just need to get to the clutch games and he steps his game up, big time. Just sadly we haven't played many meaningful games during his tenure....at least not yet. I believe he will blow us away when(if) we become a consistent playoff team.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Oh absolutely, he has all the skill in the world and last season he had nights where he was dominant but he has yet to put a game in like that this season. It seems like points are coming easy for him or something, he doesn't look or play like a near ppg guy. My dad and I are constantly frustrated by his play but somehow he keeps burying it or getting third assists :help:

I'm frustrated by him as well, I mean he's putting ip a carreer high pace for points BUT he's so soft and lazy out there, I expect more from the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce