News Article: Kyrou signs 8 year extension

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Leafs fan coming in peace - to stick up for Jordan.

I personally just think he is young kid - who said the wrong thing and it hit him hard with the booing.

His parents live a couple doors down from my ex wife. He has been nothing but kind to my 13 year old son who plays hockey. Always has time for a quick chat or autograph.

His character is high - he will learn from it.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Leafs fan coming in peace - to stick up for Jordan.

I personally just think he is young kid - who said the wrong thing and it hit him hard with the booing.

His parents live a couple doors down from my ex wife. He has been nothing but kind to my 13 year old son who plays hockey. Always has time for a quick chat or autograph.

His character is high - he will learn from it.
Thanks for coming here and sharing. Most of us here are on his side.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
"No comment."
My exact thought.

I'd love to see the leaders on this team tell all 23 guys in the room to answer any and all of JR's questions with "no comment" for the next couple days.

Regardless of their personal feelings about Kyrou/Berube, I can't imagine that any player in that room was thrilled about a teammate being booed all night at home. I think plenty of guys could have understood/accepted boos during player intros, but the fact that it was relentless (and occurred when they announced his name for an assist) absolutely had to have pissed guys off.

This is a perfect 'us against the world' opportunity for leadership to grab on to. You want to build a good culture and get 23 guys pulling in the same direction? Making sure 22 teammates publicly have Kyrou's back on this accomplishes those goals. Singling out JR by no commenting him for a couple days gets a point across to him and makes it public that the team didn't like what happened yesterday.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Rutherford is the bad guy because he wrote down a direct quote?

That's great - take the focus off of Armstrong and a salary cap team underperforming - a guy with a pen is real bad guy.

JR is a clown because he didn't provide us with the question, just the response. No context, so yes, he is a click baiting POS. JR has the responsibility to provide full story, not cherry pick - that is what a reporter's job is.

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
JR is a clown because he didn't provide us with the question, just the response. No context, so yes, he is a click baiting POS. JR has the responsibility to provide full story, not cherry pick - that is what a reporter's job is.

This is flat out incorrect. He tweeted two times, provided the questions he asked, and repeated what he said word for word. What context was it taken out of here?

St Louis is filled with cheerleader journalism and that's why people are throwing a fit over JR actually reporting something controversial....circle around the 8 million per year underachiever - the big bad media is out to get him.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I feel terrible for Kyrou, honestly. I don't even think what he said was bad at all. Compared to Berube's comments on him all the time, I think it's rather tame. And to hear the fans of a team he's love playing for boo him to the point of tears (and apparently, some deranged folks are going after his sister. I mean, seriously, what the f***?) when he's already struggling and had the GM basically throw him under the bus...I feel for the guy.

We're probably going to deal him, and he'll make us regret it. That's what it feels like to

That's great - take the focus off of Armstrong and a salary cap team underperforming - a guy with a pen is real bad guy.

What happened with JR's "reporting" is a microcosm of how selective journalism takes a quote out of context and ignites misdirected hostility and frustration for the sake of generating clout for that individual's namesake by creating a dramatic narrative that never existed to begin with.. So, yeah, a lot of times the person with the pen or tablet is indeed a willing villain.

How many journalists whose primary means of circulating their content through social media avenues would you say are credible?? This is why true journalists loathe social media. It's a harem for unoriginal hacks to float their own agenda and ignore facts and frame the story the way they want.

Dec 15, 2002
Depends on how you feel as a journalist.

If you're one who's committed to telling the story, upholding integrity, all the nostalgic stuff you see in the movies when they show guys pounding away on the typewriter in the newsroom, talking to people, trying to make sure they've got all the facts to the story, ... yeah, that's what a reporter's job is.

If you're writing for a tabloid, just trying to get people's attention to sell print (yes, I'm dating myself), trying to get your name out there and earn a few extra bucks, trying to sell something that you know isn't the truth but helps push your desired agenda, ... you get the cherry-picking, answers-without-context, and selective pieces of quotes.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I have no hatred for #25. I just think he needs to step it up

I think people should realize that this isn't a peewee or college player getting booed.

This is a pro at the top of the pay scale making $65M over the next 8 years. The expectation bar goes up...on and off the ice. The tolerance for error narrows. These expectations are no different than other high paying jobs. The main difference is that he's in a venue where direct consumer feedback (cheers or boos) are part of the job.

#25 grew from this....and maybe JR did too...

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
You're saying there wasn't some sort of narrative between Kyrou and Berube...?

Not buying it - he's been called out multiple times in the press.
Mind showing me where I said that?? We all know there was friction between them.. As far as narrative is concerned, that would be the doing of the narrator of a particular story.. Ya know.. like, a writer....

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
You're saying there wasn't some sort of narrative between Kyrou and Berube...?

Not buying it - he's been called out multiple times in the press.
Just because there's a narrative between those two, doesn't mean it's fair game for JR to dump gasoline onto it by posting a statement with minimal context and zero tone.

#25 grew from this....and maybe JR did too...
Zero chance JR learns any lessons from this. The dude has continued on his path of being a total clown of a reporter.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
This is flat out incorrect.
It's not. JR did not post his actual questions in his two tweets last night and even in his article he still hasn't posted the entire context of that exchange.

If you believe he has, I'd appreciate if you'd post the three questions and Kyrou's three answers because the rest of us are waiting to see it.

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
Mind showing me where I said that??

You typed this:

What happened with JR's "reporting" is a microcosm of how selective journalism takes a quote out of context and ignites misdirected hostility and frustration for the sake of generating clout for that individual's namesake by creating a dramatic narrative that never existed to begin with..

It's not. JR did not post his actual questions in his two tweets last night and even in his article he still hasn't posted the entire context of that exchange.

If you believe he has, I'd appreciate if you'd post the three questions and Kyrou's three answers because the rest of us are waiting to see it.

"It kind of feels like a little bit of a fresh start kind of thing," Kyrou told The Athletics' Jeremy Rutherford. "Yeah, we're all excited here. We want to turn the ship around right now and get our culture back a little bit and get back to how we know how to play hockey."

Asked on his relationship of Berube, who was fired Tuesday night, Kyrou had a rather blunt answer.

"I've got no comment. He's not my coach anymore," Kyrou said.

What context do you need here?

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
You typed this:

What happened with JR's "reporting" is a microcosm of how selective journalism takes a quote out of context and ignites misdirected hostility and frustration for the sake of generating clout for that individual's namesake by creating a dramatic narrative that never existed to begin with..

"It kind of feels like a little bit of a fresh start kind of thing," Kyrou told The Athletics' Jeremy Rutherford. "Yeah, we're all excited here. We want to turn the ship around right now and get our culture back a little bit and get back to how we know how to play hockey."

Asked on his relationship of Berube, who was fired Tuesday night, Kyrou had a rather blunt answer.

LOL so you're response is now to try and reframe my comment in a different context?? Who let Dutch out of the Dojo?

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
Ok....so you mentioned all of that but it has no relation to what we're discussing.

Weird but ok...

Dec 15, 2002
Let's go ahead and (probably safely) assume there was friction between Berube and Kyrou. If you're someone covering the Blues and are around the team even some of the time talking to players, you're probably aware of that. [If you're covering the team for as long as JR has, talking to guys like he does, and you're not aware of it, maybe you shouldn't be covering the team - and you really shouldn't be covering the team in a prominent position like JR is in.]

What good is going to come from asking Kyrou how he feels about the relationship between him and the coach that just got fired? Nothing. Kyrou ducks it, people draw their usual conclusions along the lines of whether they're Team Chief or Team Army. Nothing is learned, nothing changes. Kyrou is blunt and answers it, ... well, you can guess how not good that goes.

Already sensing how the fan base feels in the aftermath of Berube getting fired and Armstrong's press conference, and how it's felt over the last however long about Kyrou, what good is going to come from asking Kyrou that question? Less than nothing. Kyrou ducks it, ... well, we see what happened. Kyrou is blunt and answers it, ... it's probably so much uglier than what we saw when he didn't answer it.

It was a dumb question to ask in general, but specific to the situation and how everyone was feeling it was really a stupid question to ask, and it put Kyrou in a no-win situation - and then dropping that comment in isolation, with zero context around it, was ... JR's been writing on the Blues for years. If he didn't know better and didn't have the thought maybe I shouldn't do this as he was typing that out to go on X Twitter TSFKAT, he needs to put the pen and notepad in the drawer and call it a career and move on to being a Wal-Mart greeter or the guy at Costco checking your receipt as you leave, or maybe something more menial than that.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
You typed this:

You were unable provide what I requested. If you are unable post the questions and answers, which are obviously quite useful in helping gauge a persons intent in their responses when the readers were not present themselves, that's the definition of lacking context.

Thank you.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Let's go ahead and (probably safely) assume there was friction between Berube and Kyrou. If you're someone covering the Blues and are around the team even some of the time talking to players, you're probably aware of that. [If you're covering the team for as long as JR has, talking to guys like he does, and you're not aware of it, maybe you shouldn't be covering the team - and you really shouldn't be covering the team in a prominent position like JR is in.]

What good is going to come from asking Kyrou how he feels about the relationship between him and the coach that just got fired? Nothing. Kyrou ducks it, people draw their usual conclusions along the lines of whether they're Team Chief or Team Army. Nothing is learned, nothing changes. Kyrou is blunt and answers it, ... well, you can guess how not good that goes.

Already sensing how the fan base feels in the aftermath of Berube getting fired and Armstrong's press conference, and how it's felt over the last however long about Kyrou, what good is going to come from asking Kyrou that question? Less than nothing. Kyrou ducks it, ... well, we see what happened. Kyrou is blunt and answers it, ... it's probably so much uglier than what we saw when he didn't answer it.

It was a dumb question to ask in general, but specific to the situation and how everyone was feeling it was really a stupid question to ask, and it put Kyrou in a no-win situation - and then dropping that comment in isolation, with zero context around it, was ... JR's been writing on the Blues for years. If he didn't know better and didn't have the thought maybe I shouldn't do this as he was typing that out to go on X Twitter TSFKAT, he needs to put the pen and notepad in the drawer and call it a career and move on to being a Wal-Mart greeter or the guy at Costco checking your receipt as you leave, or maybe something more menial than that.
If he answers truthfully, he'll get ripped because "wow you got the guy fired because you hate him"
If he lies "wow, you are such a f***ing liar, we see it all the time, you and Berube don't get along"
And we all see how his deflection yesterday went.

There was little to no win for him.

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
You were unable provide what I requested. If you are unable post the questions and answers, which are obviously quite useful in helping gauge a persons intent in their responses when the readers were not present themselves, that's the definition of lacking context.

Thank you.

What context is being missed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad