Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It was a uneventful first year.

He didnt draft Cowan......Leafs already had him on their radar.

He still paid Mathews and Nylander.....just like Dubas.

He sent away assets for rentals....just like Dubas.

He forced two assistants on Keefer? how did that pan out? PK was bad.

His grit guys didnt come thru during the playoffs ....sure the team showed some heart with
Nylander and Mathews missing. Nylander came back and scored and there wasnt anyone else that came thru the last two games.

We have some young kids that may step up even more next year which is exciting.

Gio, the russian bear....even Edmundson...can all walk away....we need to set the bar higher then those guys. Black hole offensively......getting big guys to bounce the puck off the boards to create offence is dime a dozen.

Reilly plays like he is 180lbs instead of over 220lbs....

It was good of Tre not to extend Sammy.......We all better hope Woll injury isnt something that will linger throughout his carreer. When he is healthy....he seems like a Number 1 goalie

Lets see how Tre deals with this 1st rd exit. Will he overpay fringe players? How will he deal with Marner? Bert and Domi? Players usually go where the money is and rightfully so.

This is Ben Shapiro level intellectually dishonest.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Wasn't allowed to draft Cowan - why is that held against him?

He signed our two best players - overpaid, yes, but that's mainly on Dubas.

He sent assets for rentals, but much less assets for better rentals.

But I agree - he didn't do much, mainly because he didn't have a lot of time. The big thing is this summer and next - how will he deal with Marner and JT, and what can he do to improve the team.

Im not holding anything against Tre

I just think he did the same thing as Dubas.

Im happy Tre kept our 1st round pick tho.

He filled holes with rentals....and we failed again. He inserted our assistant coaches and we got worse defensively and on our PK

We picked up more grit and still failed. And none of them came thru when needed....

Im not saying to fire Tre.....but he didnt improve this team and some of his decicsions like assitant coaches...changing defensive scheme ...etc was his doing.

I dont want to make a change at the GM position. Lets see what Tre does. But his first year was just okay.

Lets see if he resigns Domi and Bert...and what the cost will be. Reaves was a huge failure again...we didnt need him for the playoffs as seen the last three games. He is a huge liability on defence. Our 3rd and 4th line were not that great.

Dont get me wrong...we have some nice kids on the way....and hopefully they add a spark to our 3rd line at least.

I would still like to see a #1 D on this team. Reilly isnt it IMHO ...I like the McCabe and Benoit tadem but it would be nice to get a big hard shooting D for our PP.

This is Ben Shapiro level intellectually dishonest.

You cant handle the truth :)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Im not holding anything against Tre

I just think he did the same thing as Dubas.

Im happy Tre kept our 1st round pick tho.

He filled holes with rentals....and we failed again. He inserted our assistant coaches and we got worse defensively and on our PK

We picked up more grit and still failed. And none of them came thru when needed....

Im not saying to fire Tre.....but he didnt improve this team and some of his decicsions like assitant coaches...changing defensive scheme ...etc was his doing.

I dont want to make a change at the GM position. Lets see what Tre does. But his first year was just okay.

Lets see if he resigns Domi and Bert...and what the cost will be. Reaves was a huge failure again...we didnt need him for the playoffs as seen the last three games. He is a huge liability on defence. Our 3rd and 4th line were not that great.

Dont get me wrong...we have some nice kids on the way....and hopefully they add a spark to our 3rd line at least.

I would still like to see a #1 D on this team. Reilly isnt it IMHO ...I like the McCabe and Benoit tadem but it would be nice to get a big hard shooting D for our PP.

You cant handle the truth :)
I don't see the "same thing as Dubas".

He didn't sign a unnecessary player to a huge crippling contract. The new contracts for Matty and Willy, while high, weren't near as much overpayment as Dubas' (with the exception of the bargain he got with Willy).

He filled holes with rentals - but at a lower cost (as you said, he kept our high picks), and they performed at least as well. The idea that 'both failed so they are equal' is disingenuous at best.

Do you think that two of the three players who led the team in points in the playoffs "didn't come through"?

How much of the failure of the system lies with the head coach, and how much with the assistants? Do you have any evidence that Tre forced the new assistants on Keefe, and forced him to use their systems?

Our third and fourth lines weren't great, but they were better than previous iterations.

Our biggest problems were with injuries in net, the continued decline of JT, and the usual disappearance of Mitch in the playoffs - none of them fixable beyond him bringing in Jones, which worked very well.

Reaves wasn't terrible, and his replacement was Gregor, who was another Tre signing.

He did a lot of things differently than Dubas - more worked than didn't, and the overall team was a bit better.

Let's be fair and give him a chance to deal with the 1D, Tavares, and Marner situations.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
If Treliving is fired it gives them another excuse to 'evaluate the what they have' like we don't know.

Treliving can play the Cliff Fletcher interim role if he has to but no more evaluating Keefe ect...

Change.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A lot of respect in the handshake line in this thread lol.

One season body of work- we did not meet the expectations of going on a run, but the GM did meet the continued bare minimum of a 100+ point team "good enough" to go on a run if the group on the ice executes. Anything less is abject failure.

Pass, par, mulligan, whatever you want to call it. We're still in good enough shape that yet the expectations hold true for next season.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I don't see the "same thing as Dubas".

He didn't sign a unnecessary player to a huge crippling contract. The new contracts for Matty and Willy, while high, weren't near as much overpayment as Dubas' (with the exception of the bargain he got with Willy).

He filled holes with rentals - but at a lower cost (as you said, he kept our high picks), and they performed at least as well. The idea that 'both failed so they are equal' is disingenuous at best.

Do you think that two of the three players who led the team in points in the playoffs "didn't come through"?

How much of the failure of the system lies with the head coach, and how much with the assistants? Do you have any evidence that Tre forced the new assistants on Keefe, and forced him to use their systems?

Our third and fourth lines weren't great, but they were better than previous iterations.

Our biggest problems were with injuries in net, the continued decline of JT, and the usual disappearance of Mitch in the playoffs - none of them fixable beyond him bringing in Jones, which worked very well.

Reaves wasn't terrible, and his replacement was Gregor, who was another Tre signing.

He did a lot of things differently than Dubas - more worked than didn't, and the overall team was a bit better.

Let's be fair and give him a chance to deal with the 1D, Tavares, and Marner situations.

Im not saying to not give Tre a chance. Im not Dubas apologist either. I have no favorites.

I just want the leafs to win the cup. Nothing else matters. Sure Dubas set the standard in pay right before covid. He was expecting salary cap increase.

Should of we not signed Taveras and set the bar? Probably so....but thats all water under the bridge now.

I dont really care who led the leafs in points ....we needed more scoring and once again we failed.

Getting Reaves and Murray were bad...... I dont mind the Domi and Bert signings. They filled in nicely even tho they are players that dont like playing defense. I would take them back at a reasonable price tho.

Our 3rd and 4th lines offered little.....they didnt even help the PK.

Lets see how he handles the Marner situation and how he fixes the D and PK.

Boucher (sp?) wasnt a good hire.....just wasnt. Thats on Tre.

Im not sure Keefer wanted to change his defensive scheme as we were always pretty good there over the years with not alot of talent back there.

Nothing changed for years. We added grit and still failed....Edmundson and the Bear are 5 or 6th defenceman in this league. Sure they look better in playoffs when the whistles are thrown away and they can be more effective. But they are slow...offer no first pass to get offence....cant shoot on the PP. Basically they bounce pucks off the boards and clear the net with crosschecks.

We need to be better than that on the back end in our top 4. McCabe is great....and I like Benoit but even Benoit doesnt have the offence ability to see the ice to get the offence going.

injuries sucked....and it hurt us.

In Tre we trust for the next few years....

Alot of good teams lose in the 1st round.....same in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

In the end those winning rounds are great for the fan base to cheer but if you dont win the cup.
Its all the same. Your name is not written anywhere....and I dont see any rings for most playoff wins.

We have a good future still because we do have some great talant and some young kids that will continue to improve. Just wished we had something to look forward to on D. Reilly , Sammy and Marner sleeping on the OT goal is just typical way for the leafs to lose.

Sammy had a brain fart and let the puck come out. Easy to shoot it back into the corner or lay down around the puck. Reilly was looking at the stands waving and out of position while the puck was shot in. Marner was watching something....other then the player beside him. The Russian bear was looking for a picnic :)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Treliving inherited a 111-point team that made it to the second round, and turned it into a 105-point team that lost in the first round.
We actually only got 102 points this year. So even worse. And that's with Treliving being saved by the internal depth provided by the previous guy.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
We actually only got 102 points this year. So even worse. And that's with Treliving being saved by the internal depth provided by the previous guy.
Yes, because those big point regular seasons translated to positive playoff results. After 5 years we can make the comparison. What internal depth are you talking about? The 27 year old McMann who never got a sniff before this year? The studly Timmons?

Reactions: Cleetus

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How is this the best playoff team the Leafs have had? The Leafs won in the first round last season.

Treliving inherited a 111-point team that made it to the second round, and turned it into a 105-point team that lost in the first round.

That's progress?
They pushed too many chips on the table last year just to win a round, so making the playoffs this season was always going to be tough. They were saved by Matthews scoring 69 goals.

It’s going to take time to fix the broken mess that was left.

Reactions: hotpaws

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes, because those big point regular seasons translated to positive playoff results.
Like most teams, we didn't end up winning the cup, but still better to be better and give yourself a chance, and our results were still better than this year.
After 5 years we can make the comparison.
No, we can make it right now.
What internal depth are you talking about?
Internal graduates Knies, Holmberg, Robertson, and McMann.

Glacious

Dec 28, 2009
When will people learn that you can't compare season over season point totals as a measure of team progress. The leafs don't play in a vacuum. The league landscape changes significantly from season to season and this sort of comparison always seems like a bad faith argument.

Even if the team came back with the exact same roster as last season, it's highly unlikely they'd finish with the exact same point total. This is the same logic rival posters used for years to argue that Dubas' teams declined from the Lou era and it was just as dumb then.

Reactions: Ciao

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Like most teams, we didn't end up winning the cup, but still better to be better and give yourself a chance, and our results were still better than this year.

Nope

Nope

Knies was good, Holmberg is meh, Robertson was decent in the regular season and did squat in the playoffs. McMann was good as well, but was never given much of a sniff before Tre took over and signed him to a sweet deal. Dubas would have gave him $9mil/year

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Very impressive SCA/60 this year.

We were dead last in the East and second last in the league in SCA/60 last round 1.

Sucks we lost this one. Averaged 1 regulation goal against in 3 elimination games where 1 was bogus with 0.1 seconds left. Really good job keeping Pasta off the score sheet in the elimination games to the point his coach called him out. He needed a sad play where we fell asleep to finally do something.

I'm definitely having a difficult time getting over this loss. We had them. They generated nothing in all of the elimination games....unfortunately we followed suit and didn't score either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He hasn't fired Keefe yet so no he isn't doing a good job.

Very possible Shanny did not allow that. Makes the whole GM position pointless. Like honestly why have a fake position that snakes like Shanahan can hide behind for 10 years. What a grift.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
When will people learn that you can't compare season over season point totals as a measure of team progress. The leafs don't play in a vacuum. The league landscape changes significantly from season to season and this sort of comparison always seems like a bad faith argument.

Even if the team came back with the exact same roster as last season, it's highly unlikely they'd finish with the exact same point total. This is the same logic rival posters used for years to argue that Dubas' teams declined from the Lou era and it was just as dumb then.
That's the point.

I don't mind Treliving at all. I think he's done a pretty good job and doesn't deserve to be fired.

I would easily take a 111-point Leafs team that advanced to the second round over a 102-point team that lost in the first round, but I don't think comparisons from one season to the next, and from one management group to another, are at all useful or helpful.

Every season and every playoff is unique, and wouldn't turn out the same way even for the very identical team.

I've been sick of the x inherited y argument for years, and would be interested to know if the Dubas-haters still buy into that kind of reasoning?

It doesn't have to be Lamoriello vs. Dubas vs. Treliving. They each have contributed in their own way, and made their own errors along the way, too. There needs to be some balance.

Reactions: Glacious

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Boston mangled Panthers with scoring chances last round 1.

Leafs were literally elite in this regard when on the brink of elimination. The entire hockey world agrees. You had to earn your scoring chance with massive effort (excluding whatever happened in OT)

Gonna need a support group to recover. They deserved round 2

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Boston mangled Panthers with scoring chances last round 1.

Leafs were literally elite in this regard when on the brink of elimination. The entire hockey world agrees. You had to earn your scoring chance with massive effort (excluding whatever happened in OT)

Gonna need a support group to recover. They deserved round 2

You're BSing yourself. They didnt deserve RD2 at all. They didn't deserve game 7. They did get it in the end but if your team is 10% PP from March on and 4.7% in a well officiated series. You don't deserve jack. The coach is obviously a tool and you blew it. 4th line after the goal in game 7. Deserve nothing.

Nothing

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
You're BSing yourself. They didnt deserve RD2 at all. They didn't deserve game 7. They did get it in the end but if your team is 10% PP from March on and 4.7% in a well officiated series. You don't deserve jack. The coach is obviously a tool and you blew it. 4th line after the goal in game 7. Deserve nothing.

Nothing
I understand your anger towards the deserve it part, but you didn't actually refute the things I focused on.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I understand your anger towards the deserve it part, but you didn't actually refute the things I focused on.

Boston was winnable. Management and coaching shit the bed once again in Toronto. I said this series was winnable before it started. Only a Fing idiot like Keefe coukd F that up so bad.

Sorry for the language but i mean.. C'mon

Reactions: BallardEra

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I do agree that making a phony comparison of five years of mistakes to one year of trying to fix them is about the only way Dubas might look better, but all it really does is make you look bad.

And no, the results of those five years aren't better than this year's.

Reactions: hotpaws

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I read the above post before I saw the poster's name, but I knew who it was. The master of bizarre takes and the leading 'Dubas can/could do no wrong' apologist.
He did plenty wrong, but as I said last year - a big reason why he was shitcanned was because he wanted to move off the core.

I don't think the core 4 + Keefe would have been allowed to run it back this year, and instead I have a feeling we are going to see it all back next year.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Didn't mind all the 1 year deals. And yes, including Klingberg. They were good gambles to see if the core could come through with a different type of supporting cast (lol of course they didn't). I did like most of the players up front way better than cardio merchants like Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Engvall, etc.

Having said that, doesn't matter to me if none of them come back. At least, not until we see a major change to the core. I'm also hoping for some ELCs and other internal options push to really increase our cap flexibility

Tre's biggest mistake was keeping Keefe around, but that could've been from higher up. Really wanted to see the core under a difference voice. Oh well.

It's not a tough act to follow for Tre as his predecessor wasn't a great GM or anything, but he does have a ton of work ahead of him. Would be nice to see him build the D similar to what he did in Calgary, although it will be extremely tough, of course. And who knows....could be gone if Pelley wants a full purge lol

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Boston was winnable. Management and coaching shit the bed once again in Toronto. I said this series was winnable before it started. Only a Fing idiot like Keefe coukd F that up so bad.

Sorry for the language but i mean.. C'mon
I agree with you that if you focus on special teams we don't deserve to see round 2

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Knies was good, Holmberg is meh, Robertson was decent in the regular season and did squat in the playoffs. McMann was good as well, but was never given much of a sniff before Tre took over and signed him to a sweet deal.
They were all good and provided cheap, quality depth for the team this year. McMann first played last year, and is currently on a sweet deal signed by Dubas.
a phony comparison of five years of mistakes to one year of trying to fix them
The only one doing that is you. The rest of us are looking at how the team progressed from pre-Treliving to now, and why, and let's just say it doesn't look good for Treliving.
And no, the results of those five years aren't better than this year's.
This year's result is objectively worse in pretty much every possible way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad