Rumor: Kypreos: Penguins willing to trade Letang

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Does Letang he even play defense ? The guy is a turnover giveaway machine in the D-Zone leading to two to three goals tonight alone. Easily explains why he's a -15 & has all those bad quality giveaways.

Most years, yes, and often quite well (though he has sometimes been inconsistent from game to game).

This year, no. No defense from him this year at all.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Something based around RNH for Letang?

With the caveat that if McDavid just broke his ankle it couldn't happen.

Normally, I'd say no because I want a puck moving RHD back for Letang too, which the Oilers don't have one (Sekera is a LD I believe). However, Friedman did say that the Penguins want back two forwards for Letang, so I'm not sure. RNH was the first player I thought of when I saw this for what it's worth, I just don't know who else would be included in the deal to make it work. If Sekera could play RD, I'd say something around RNH and Sekera for Letang and Hagelin would be an interesting thought.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Edler, Baertchi, Virtanen and VAN 1st for Letang and Hagelin?

Don't like either of Virtanen or Baertchi as top 6 players/bottom 6 line carriers.

The 1st doesn't do much for us this season. We'll probably be more interested in restocking the almost barren cupboard in a year or two though.

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Something based around RNH for Letang?

With the caveat that if McDavid just broke his ankle it couldn't happen.

We'd need a defenseman coming back. Would it be a complete non-starter to see how Larsson could be worked into the deal? Would an extended Cole still be of interest? I know Edmonton liked him a month ago.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We'd need a defenseman coming back. Would it be a complete non-starter to see how Larsson could be worked into the deal? Would an extended Cole still be of interest? I know Edmonton liked him a month ago.
Yah I imagine it would be a complete non-starter.

If the Pens wanted a top 4 d-man back in addition to Nuge there wouldn't be a deal to be made. At least for me. Who knows with Chiarelli of course. With how well Nuge has played this year and how much McLellan and Chiarelli seem to love him, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers would pass up on a 1 for 1 swap.

I'd personally be down for something like Nuge+Benning if the Pens really wanted a d-man. But not one of our top 4 guys (Klefbom, Sekera, Larsson, Nurse). Benning is a decent enough 5/6 guy, but you'd be hard pressed to confuse him with a top 4 d-man.

Reactions: biturbo19

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
His health and contract likely make him very difficult to move.

If he was playing well that would be a different story but he's had a rough going so far.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Don't like either of Virtanen or Baertchi as top 6 players/bottom 6 line carriers.

The 1st doesn't do much for us this season. We'll probably be more interested in restocking the almost barren cupboard in a year or two though.

We don’t have to keep the first. Use it to add on to something to get a D man.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Framework around Klefbom for Letang? Obviously the Oilers add. Pens get a cheaper cap hit and a young guy signed long-term and Oilers get another righty to balance things out and get a top-end offensive quarterback.

Sekera - Letang
Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning/Davidson

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I can only see Florida or Toronto as fits.

JVR+Zaitsev+Bozak(50%)
Ekblad+Bjugstad

Trading Letang just isn't a good idea. Take him off PP1 and give the letter to Hornqvist, but don't trade him.

Would make the HockeyWives show more interesting though..

Uhh how about a 3 way deal.

That Toronto Package for Letang and then Letang for that Florida package.

Reactions: sommervr

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Health history
30 years old now with a $7,250,000 cap hit for remainder of this season and the next 4 seasons
Won the Cup without him in the 2017 playoffs
Can get a solid return from a trade

I do believe it would be in Penguins best interest to trade him the question is will they really do so?

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
Framework around Klefbom for Letang? Obviously the Oilers add. Pens get a cheaper cap hit and a young guy signed long-term and Oilers get another righty to balance things out and get a top-end offensive quarterback.

Sekera - Letang
Nurse - Larsson

Getting a 2C for the third line is bigger than making a lateral move for a D. Furthermore, if Klefbom can't play RD then there is 0 interest for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Sekera - Letang
Nurse - Larsson

I can't imagine Edmonton would do that and that's not really who the Penguins should be targeting from Edmonton if Letang is going to Edmonton. I love Klefbom, but it's just not the right deal for him.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Teams like the Oilers and Leafs should be all over this, would the better chance to upgrade their biggest weakness.

Letang is not as bad as he has been this year, and there is a lot of potential in a different system/situation.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was hoping Letang would stay a Penguin, although I find he does need change. I think Tampa Bay or Vegas would be a good fit for him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Normally, I'd say no because I want a puck moving RHD back for Letang too, which the Oilers don't have one (Sekera is a LD I believe). However, Friedman did say that the Penguins want back two forwards for Letang, so I'm not sure. RNH was the first player I thought of when I saw this for what it's worth, I just don't know who else would be included in the deal to make it work. If Sekera could play RD, I'd say something around RNH and Sekera for Letang and Hagelin would be an interesting thought.
Sekera has played rd before but I don’t think the oilers do this trade

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

The team trading for him would have to feel confident in the rest of their D-men to bail him out. Letang adds alot of points to their blue line but then gives up alot of points as well & the pieces they gave up to acquire him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad