Rumor: Kypreos: Penguins willing to trade Letang

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm seeing it on twitter from a couple of people, Kypreos apparently just said this on HNIC during an intermission report. Kypreos doesn't have a great track record when it comes to the Penguins, but I think it's worth noting.

Edit: Also Friedman said the same thing

Last edited:
Reactions: NL Habs Fan

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Pittsburgh is going to want a lot more than any team is willing to pay at this point.

I can see Pittsburgh making a shakeup, but I think it'll involve someone like Cole in order to get a center more than something involving Letang.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pittsburgh is going to want a lot more than any team is willing to pay at this point.

I can see Pittsburgh making a shakeup, but I think it'll involve someone like Cole in order to get a center more than something involving Letang.

That's not really a shakeup though :laugh:

I think if Letang gets moved, the Penguins would want back a replacement top-4 puck mover and a good and young 3rd line center. I don't think their ask would be ridiculous, I think if they got back those two pieces, they wouldn't make a huge deal out of getting back picks or prospects beyond that.

Some examples:

Letang to Arizona for Dvorak and Goligoski
Letang to Montreal for Danault and Petry
Letang to New Jersey for Vatanen and Zacha (not at all realistic, just using it as an example)
Letang to Vegas for Schmidt/Miller and Haula

Something like this as the base with adding the necessary pieces to that.

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
iirc he also said they want 2 forwards for him

enviSAGE

waitin on the good times
Aug 10, 2011
I can only see Florida or Toronto as fits.

JVR(extended)+Zaitsev+Bozak(50%)
Ekblad+Bjugstad

Trading Letang just isn't a good idea. Take him off PP1 and give the letter to Hornqvist, but don't trade him.

Would make the HockeyWives show more interesting though..

Last edited:
Reactions: billybudd

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That's not really a shakeup though :laugh:

I think if Letang gets moved, the Penguins would want back a replacement top-4 puck mover and a good and young 3rd line center. I don't think their ask would be ridiculous, I think if they got back those two pieces, they wouldn't make a huge deal out of getting back picks or prospects beyond that.

There are different levels of a shakeup, but trading your arguably best defenseman would be a pretty big one. I doubt it happens during the season, especially since his value is pretty low compared to it's normal standards.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
a point they brought up was that they won the cup without Letang, so that makes them more likely to want to move him. Plus he's been horrible this year (so they say. I haven't watched him).

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

JVR+Zaitsev+Bozak(50%)
Ekblad+Bjugstad

Trading Letang just isn't a good idea. Take him off PP1 and give the letter to Hornqvist, but don't trade him.

Leafs aren't trading a top 6 wing, a top 6 center, and a top 4 defenseman for Letang.
Nylander+Bozak e4
Same with either of the big 3, not happening.

I'd love to acquire Letang, but not at that price.

Reactions: felixpettersson

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Leafs aren't trading a top 6 wing, a top 6 center, and a top 4 defenseman for Letang.

Same with either of the big 3, not happening.

I'd love to acquire Letang, but not at that price.
Meant as a joke. But I’d love to take Kadri+Zaitsev for Letang. Not sure you would haha.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
a point they brought up was that they won the cup without Letang, so that makes them more likely to want to move him. Plus he's been horrible this year (so they say. I haven't watched him).

To add to this, an insider on the Penguins board also said that the Penguins are insanely fed up with Letang this year because his play has been horrid and he's not listening to the coaches. It makes sense if you look at everything. Letang is playing really bad, the team needs a shakeup desperately, they won last year without Letang and there are rumors that the team is fed up with him. Even without those rumors about the team being fed up, it still makes sense.

Reactions: Dano85

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Pittsburgh isn't getting what they think they will for Letang. His contract isn't great (not horrible given where contracts are at and going) but it's not putting you in cap hell, outside a few teams, which wouldn't be in consideration anyway.

The biggest issue right now is his injury history and play.

But he's the most likely "big name" to be shipped out right now.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
His contract 7.25m X 4.5 years isn't that appealing now. He's having problem with Malkin, Crosby and Kessel as his top forwards, how many problems will his have with lesser players.
Fact is players with big cap hit in their 30s are going to be a tough trade, especially for guys with injury history.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
His contract 7.25m X 4.5 years isn't that appealing now. He's having problem with Malkin, Crosby and Kessel as his top forwards, how many problems will his have with lesser players.
Fact is players with big cap hit in their 30s are going to be a tough trade, especially for guys with injury history.

Shea Weber brought back PK Subban like 2 years ago. That's BS that players with big cap hits in their 30s are hard to trade.

Also, the thought of "how would he produce without Crosby, Malkin and Kessel" is just dumb at this point. That's **** you would say in like 2012, before Letang was nominated for the Norris.

Edit: He's also not even having problems offensively, he's on pace for 55 points this year.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

JVR+Zaitsev+Bozak(50%)
Ekblad+Bjugstad

Problem is that trade make the Leafs worse. The way Letang has played this year coupled with his injury history won't bring in a huge haul for Pitts. Don't get me wrong, they can get value for him, but nothing that would make the Pens drastically better.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Anyone have a link for this?

Not that I don’t trust that they said it, I just want to know what else they said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad