Confirmed with Link: Kyle Quincey Traded to Columbus for Dalton Prout

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
This. The Devils realllyyy lack toughness. Freakin Miles Wood is our tough guy. Prout will help

Wood doesn't even finish his checks most of the time.

When teams know that the majority of their opponent won't be finishing their checks on a consistent basis, it allows them to play the game knowing they can take more time when they have the puck because the pressure won't be there. That is part of the reason why teams have had plenty of success moving the puck around against us. Add that in with having 3 forwards on the same side of the ice more often than not in the offensive zone and it's a cake walk for other teams playing against us moving the puck around.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This. The Devils realllyyy lack toughness. Freakin Miles Wood is our tough guy. Prout will help

I like that Wood is willing to drop the gloves, but I don't like the fact that he is consistently our glove dropper.

Now Prout needs to show he can play, otherwise he is no different then Gazdic or Helg.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
now we need tough guys because we're a soft team? Sorry, not buying that faux-narrative.

A lot of teams are weak when you compare us to the west coast juggernauts. Quite frankly, I could care less if our stop-gaps are laying out hits. Hall, Zajac, Palmieri, and even Greene aren't afraid to engage in physical battle.

Finishing checks and playing tough is another story, but I'm very against icing the Brashear's of the world because we want to engage in shengagins.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Wood doesn't even finish his checks most of the time.

When teams know that the majority of their opponent won't be finishing their checks on a consistent basis, it allows them to play the game knowing they can take more time when they have the puck because the pressure won't be there. That is part of the reason why teams have had plenty of success moving the puck around against us. Add that in with having 3 forwards on the same side of the ice more often than not in the offensive zone and it's a cake walk for other teams playing against us moving the puck around.

Not even just finish your checks. I feel like that mantra is overrated.

It's just about being hard to play against. Battling hard along the boards. Boxing guys out, tying up sticks, and getting sticks on pucks in scoring chances. Pinning guys against the boards, giving guys an extra cross check here or there, interfering with guys to make their path to the puck longer or give your teammate space with the puck, and so on. Merrill and Santini have been very strong in all those areas and it shows. Make a team have to work for space and time with the puck.

This was the biggest thing missing during that terrible stretch from November to December. We've been much better of late and much more competitive in games because of it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's pretty much been a consensus by Devils bloggers (and most fans) that the deadline deals were trash.

Devils basically just took what they got?

Shero can't force a team to take a fourth. He basically just traded Parenteau/Quincey as favors for what the market dictates.

Only thing you can really complain about is if he would've taken whatever Prout's value in a pick was versus him as a player. But then again, what is that? A 5th round pick? At that point, it's debatable whether it's better to have an actual NHL defender (even a #7) versus a 5th round pick that has like a 5% chance of becoming anything in 3 or 4 years?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's pretty much been a consensus by Devils bloggers (and most fans) that the deadline deals were trash.

Then those people are probably idiots. Parenteau was claimed by exactly nobody else when he could have been had for free, and now he's suddenly worth something because he has 13 goals in 59 games on a bad team? What, do you think some GM called and offered Shero a 4th rounder and he decided to hold out for a 6th instead?

I swear the same people who think the trades were crap would be *****ing about holding on to them if we had. Shero got what he could for players who are not going to be here next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad