Confirmed with Link: Kyle Quincey signed to a one-year deal

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He's still more mature then 21 year old. He's been doing the professional thing for a long time. And this is his chance to be an NHL'r, I am sure he will handle himself accordingly.

With him it's a matter of ability, not so much about readiness or lack of experience.

I'm not worried about Auvitu's maturity, but he doesn't have NHL experience. To me, having NHL experience is part of being a veteran.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not worried about Auvitu's maturity, but he doesn't have NHL experience. To me, having NHL experience is part of being a veteran.

Main point still stands, with Greene, Lovejoy and Moore, we have 3 guys with over 300 games played.

Sev's and Merrill both over 130 games played.

We weren't necessarilly in need of more veteran leadership.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Main point still stands, with Greene, Lovejoy and Moore, we have 3 guys with over 300 games played.

Sev's and Merrill both over 130 games played.

We weren't necessarilly in need of more veteran leadership.

The main thing we needed was a solid, stay-at-home defenseman with experience. That's what we hopefully signed here.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The main thing we needed was a solid, stay-at-home defenseman with experience. That's what we hopefully signed here.

We still need that explosive offensive defenseman. yeah we have Severson, but #1 he isn't that yet, #2 who knows if he'll ever be that, and #3 even if he is that we still need another one.

Im still hoping Shattenkirk comes to NJ in 10 months.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

In that context I agree, I could split hairs and say Helg plays that role and his issue is more ability then experience, but Quincey certainly has that experience advantage over Santini, who certainly plays that style, and hopefully has the talent to at some point fill that role.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
We still need that explosive offensive defenseman. yeah we have Severson, but #1 he isn't that yet, #2 who knows if he'll ever be that, and #3 even if he is that we still need another one.

Im still hoping Shattenkirk comes to NJ in 10 months.

We need an offensive defenseman but the main hole left by Larsson was defensive. Adding a defenseman with an offensive dimension is a good goal, but most of the experiments in that regard have been Moore or Warsofsky. That's not the kind of defenseman we needed. My main point is the biggest hole for this team after the Larsson trade was defensive. That's why we have this signing and the Lovejoy one.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
In that context I agree, I could split hairs and say Helg plays that role and his issue is more ability then experience, but Quincey certainly has that experience advantage over Santini, who certainly plays that style, and hopefully has the talent to at some point fill that role.

I think we pretty much are in agreement. I probably come across as favoring veterans over youth, but that isn't always the case. If Seth had demonstrated an ability to be that solid shutdown defenseman, then I (and probably Shero, Hynes, and company) would have more confidence with him filling that role, but in his stints in the NHL he's struggled a lot with getting trapped in his own zone.

It's hard to go into the year counting on Santini to fill that role at the NHL level when we've only see him play one NHL game, but hopefully Santini can grow into the solid shutdown defenseman. I'm not sure if the plan is to have him in the AHL or the NHL this season, but this was a short term signing, so long term I don't think it impacts Santini much.

The biggest value of experience for me is that the person has hopefully demonstrated a track record of ability to fill a given role on a team (as well as the leadership dimension or steadying young players).

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
We need an offensive defenseman but the main hole left by Larsson was defensive. Adding a defenseman with an offensive dimension is a good goal, but most of the experiments in that regard have been Moore or Warsofsky. That's not the kind of defenseman we needed. My main point is the biggest hole for this team after the Larsson trade was defensive. That's why we have this signing and the Lovejoy one.

An offense of defensemen is probably the hardest think to find. And I 100% agree. We need someone like Philly's ghost or even a kid like Reilly from the Leafs.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
An offense of defensemen is probably the hardest think to find. And I 100% agree. We need someone like Philly's ghost or even a kid like Reilly from the Leafs.

Yeah, a good offensive defenseman is very difficult to find. I want one, but I know they don't come up on the market much. I'm pleased with the signings Shero made--cheap but for pretty solid players with experience--but we, like many teams, are still searching for that good offensive defenseman.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Moore turns 26 in a month. Merrill turns 25 in Feb. Auvitu is 27.

I think it was more ability then vet presence.

Forgot about Moore, I think I saw somebody saying only Greene and Lovejoy were over 25 and didn't check anything.

Merrill is still under 25 now and Auvitu didn't play even one NHL game, so I really wouldn't count him as a veteran presence *at the NHL level*.

Anyway let's not forget we didn't only lose Larsson, we also lost Schlemko. In that context I think it's good to bring two vets back. Worst case, Santini or some other pushes and you deal somebody at the deadline, but it really never hurts to start the season with a few vets inside the defense.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Yeah, a good offensive defenseman is very difficult to find. I want one, but I know they don't come up on the market much. I'm pleased with the signings Shero made--cheap but for pretty solid players with experience--but we, like many teams, are still searching for that good offensive defenseman.

Unless you find one via UFA, the organization has to draft one. You don't luck out and grab a Ralfaski that often.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Forgot about Moore, I think I saw somebody saying only Greene and Lovejoy were over 25 and didn't check anything.

Merrill is still under 25 now and Auvitu didn't play even one NHL game, so I really wouldn't count him as a veteran presence *at the NHL level*.

Anyway let's not forget we didn't only lose Larsson, we also lost Schlemko. In that context I think it's good to bring two vets back. Worst case, Santini or some other pushes and you deal somebody at the deadline, but it really never hurts to start the season with a few vets inside the defense.

That's why I said when we signed Lovejoy, he was justa Schlemko replacement. We still needed a Larsson "replacement" and that's now Quincey.

Now I know Quincey won't replace Larsson, I don't think he's as good as Larsson and neither is Lovejoy. But I'm just talking replacing each of their spots with a proven veteran defensemen and not a wash out guy like Gormley, a terrible player like Helgeson or too much of a question mark in Auvitu.

He's a downgrade from Larsson, no doubt about it. But as far as replacing his body in the lineup and Lovejoy replacing Schlemko's, it's much better than the in-house alternatives.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I think we all knew something had to be done on defence. Glad we've got someone experienced to play w/ Merrill (I assume) because him + Santini or another first-year would've been a iffy.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
That'd be okay, but I hope they don't handle as many tough minutes as Larsson and Greene did last year. I think the tough minutes have to be a bit more evenly distributed this year, or else the shutdown pairing is going to do more sinking than swimming. (Not a criticism of Lovejoy or Quincey; just an acknowledgement that giving them the minutes Larsson and Greene got last year would probably not be sustainable or successful.)

Lovejoy and Quincey sound like a great P.I. Firm. Am I showing my age here? :D

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Lovejoy and Quincey sound like a great P.I. Firm. Am I showing my age here? :D

qri2DrL.png

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hmm... From Andrew Gross:
“My dad grew up in Parsippany on and off and went back to Canada for hockey,” Quincey said today after his first practice with the Devils. “My uncles are in Denville. They’re definitely all fired up, my cousins and uncles. We’ll be seeing them pretty soon.”
Quincey said the contract came together quickly, when it did, and added there were other NHL teams interested.

“I have family here so this is just a good fit here,” Quincey said. “I’m definitely really looking forward to coming here.”

Whoda Thunk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad