Value of: Kyle Okposo with 50% retention

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Buffalo can afford to retain 50% on Okposo to trade him away. His contract runs him until he hits 34-35 years of age in his last season. What does he return at 3 mil per until 2022/23 with actual salary in 21/22 and 22/23 being only 2 mil per?

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
At 3 mil a year, he'd be a bargain for any team with a decent center line. I'd be wary of his health although I'd take the risk. The return might not be that great but I could see Pittsburgh or Boston being into play. Buffalo is not gonna be good any time soon so a good prospect and a decent pick should do the trick.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
At 3 mil a year, he'd be a bargain for any team with a decent center line. I'd be wary of his health although I'd take the risk. The return might not be that great but I could see Pittsburgh or Boston being into play. Buffalo is not gonna be good any time soon so a good prospect and a decent pick should do the trick.
Whoever lands Tavares will take a shot at him at that price

Reactions: BobbyShehan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Buffalo can afford to retain 50% on Okposo to trade him away. His contract runs him until he hits 34-35 years of age in his last season. What does he return at 3 mil per until 2022/23 with actual salary in 21/22 and 22/23 being only 2 mil per?

at 3 mill he would be something id want for my bruins second line rw spot assuming rick nash is going to cost a lot more than 3 mill. we have way too many smaller left hand shot wingers.

so id offer 1 of heinen/Bjork and maybe some sort of pick option based on production this year and see what buffalo thought about that or what other offers are out there.

3 mill for a big body 20 goal guy is pretty good value and should be worth around a first round pick or something equivalent.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I wonder if the Sabres can move ROR for JT if he has no intention of signing with the Islanders and keep Okposo. I still feel like his health leading into last season caused him to have a down year. He looked so much better later in the season.

Reactions: CaptPantalones

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I wonder if the Sabres can move ROR for JT if he has no intention of signing with the Islanders and keep Okposo. I still feel like his health leading into last season caused him to have a down year. He looked so much better later in the season.
Glad to hear that KO's play picked up.

As for Tavares for ROR...no thanks . I think Barzal becomes the #1 center if Tavares leaves. Not much interest in paying ROR $7.5m for his 55-65 pts.
I would rather pay that towards the extensions Lee/Eberle are looking for

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Whoever lands Tavares will take a shot at him at that price

Okposo is really not a great fit for Tavares, those very familiar with Okposo's game know that. I already know he's not a great fit for Eichel without having to watch any games. Okposo has some great tools, but lack of premium instincts/hockey IQ makes him a poor complementary winger for a star player. He is better having his own line and being the lead dog with linemates that will cater to him because he needs and wants to handle the puck. Too often he thinks he's a skill player when he's really not, simple is better for him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo isn't going to retain that much salary long term

Uh...You're aware Tavares is months away from becoming a UFA, right?

As for OP's idea...I can't imagine the Sabres are going to retain that kind of salary long-term. (1) It imposes a needless restriction on the team going forward; and (2) it's not like we're flush with competent wingers. Even with the injuries over the last few seasons, KO has still been a ~45 point guy for us.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
at 3 mill he would be something id want for my bruins second line rw spot assuming rick nash is going to cost a lot more than 3 mill. we have way too many smaller left hand shot wingers.

so id offer 1 of heinen/Bjork and maybe some sort of pick option based on production this year and see what buffalo thought about that or what other offers are out there.

3 mill for a big body 20 goal guy is pretty good value and should be worth around a first round pick or something equivalent.
I think expecting a 1st for a guy around 30, who has battled injuries and low production the last few seasons is unrealistic. Even on a $3m deal.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I've pushed this a few times but I would do Ladd ++ for Okposo just for the simple fact I believe Okposo right now is better and I would prefer another RW compared to LW

My 2 cents for Buffalo is wait for compliance buyout to get rid of his contract

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Would any team take Okposo for free if we added a 3rd? I'd give Okposo and a 3rd for nothing (a seventh, since I believe we do need to get something in return)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Would any team take Okposo for free if we added a 3rd? I'd give Okposo and a 3rd for nothing (a seventh, since I believe we do need to get something in return)
If Buffalo drafts 2nd or 3rd and the Coyotes are one spot back....maybe they flip spots and Coyotes take Okposo. AZ can draft a forward....Buffalo has their choices of D guys not named Dahlin.

Let's see what happens next week.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
If Buffalo drafts 2nd or 3rd and the Coyotes are one spot back....maybe they flip spots and Coyotes take Okposo. AZ can draft a forward....Buffalo has their choices of D guys not named Dahlin.

Let's see what happens next week.
I wouldn't do it for pick 2 but I would swap pick 3 for 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know he has had health problems, but his fall off since coming to BUF has been downright scary. Once you factor in a natural decline in productivity due to age, even 3M/yr. is too much. It's not like he's a defensive genius.

Buyer beware.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad