Player Discussion: Kyle Connor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He's ready. I'm excited.

Yup it only took me a few shifts to come to this conclusion at the game. This is the guy I was excited about it just took a tour of duty with the Moose.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
With Roslovic and Connor exceling, I don't see much room for Petan in this team.

Now, if we can get a few D that are good defensively and not injury prone, and a reliable goalie... Watch out!

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
With Roslovic and Connor exceling, I don't see much room for Petan in this team.

i was thinking the same about Copp and Tanev!

losing one forward in the draft and thorburn still leaves room for petan...remember at the beginning of this year when there was no room for anyone in the line-up...yet copp, tanev and petan all got 50+ games....dano almost half a season...

I don't see Matthias or any of the 20 point guys being a lock...Petan could find his way past them.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

losing one forward in the draft and thorburn still leaves room for petan...remember at the beginning of this year when there was no room for anyone in the line-up...yet copp, tanev and petan all got 50+ games....dano almost half a season...

I don't see Matthias or any of the 20 point guys being a lock...Petan could find his way past them.

Personally, I think Copp is a keeper. He has a lot of attributes that you want on a championship caliber team. He can play with talent, but also bring something in lower roles. He can kill penalties, play C and he's a big body that can really skate. His offense keeps getting better, and he actually has a good scoring touch with a good shot. I know the stats might disagree at this point, but I don't mind keeping him over Dano and Petan, all things considered. I think he'll be a key bottom-6 player for this team even as it transitions into a contender.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Doesn't hurt to have some depth and competition on the team. If players like Petan, Matthias, Tanev and Roslovic are on the bubble, the Jets will have good depth and some hungry players with good internal competition. In the coming years, Lemieux, Spacek and Harkins get added into that mix.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think

Laine Scheif Wheeler
Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Roslovic Arma
Copp Lowry FA signing or Lemieux because Maurice likes his "tough guy"

Connor and Roslovic have massive chemistry.

Kind of gives you scoring on all 3 maybe 4 lines.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup it only took me a few shifts to come to this conclusion at the game. This is the guy I was excited about it just took a tour of duty with the Moose.

I actually thought his game was coming around on the Jets just after he came back from injury and was starting to hit his stride, but I think the time with the Moose probably gave him some time to hone his game and learn to play with more hunger and intensity. Skill is good. Skill that works hard every shift is great.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the big question with Maurice is whether he is going to be comfortable going into the season with a smallish team that doesn't have a designated "helmet puncher". So far, he's shown a reluctance to move in that direction. I think he'll keep one helmet puncher in the organization, or maybe two. The question is whether he'll rotate them into the line-up with any regularity. I have my concerns. With the Jets skill and youth, you can bet that some teams are going to try to run them out of the rink with physical play and intimidation. Will they think Lowry is enough of a deterrent? Certainly the Oilers thought they needed more toughness in the off-season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Maybe Lemieux is the "helmet puncher"

Maybe, but he's more of a bantam-weight.

I really think we'll see Thorbs on a two-way contract extension, and maybe even Peluso. The Jets are going to want to ensure that they aren't completely uncovered on that front, especially with so many young, skilled stars. I'm not endorsing it, but it is still a part of the NHL mindset -- intimidation and counter-intimidation.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Kyle Connor is a Sniper !!!

My prediction on Connor- 40-50 points next year, with a minimum of 25-30 goals. He doesn't miss when he is close to the opponents net, he is a rare find, and will surprise a lot of people. On top of his great hands and accurate shot, he's a very fast skater. Jet's are so well positioned, all they need is a solid GOALTENDER !!!

NOTE- I was very right last year on Ehlers predicting 50-60 points :)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
My prediction on Connor- 40-50 points next year, with a minimum of 25-30 goals. He doesn't miss when he is close to the opponents net, he is a rare find, and will surprise a lot of people. On top of his great hands and accurate shot, he's a very fast skater. Jet's are so well positioned, all they need is a solid GOALTENDER !!!

he may even exceed expectations.

I think the stint with the Moose really helped his projectile, after a premature stunt with the team in the fall. Connor is going to make believers out of everyone next ear, and will easily fit into a top six forward role.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Maybe, but he's more of a bantam-weight.

I really think we'll see Thorbs on a two-way contract extension, and maybe even Peluso. The Jets are going to want to ensure that they aren't completely uncovered on that front, especially with so many young, skilled stars. I'm not endorsing it, but it is still a part of the NHL mindset -- intimidation and counter-intimidation.

Keeping Peluso or Thorbs around would be horrible moves. The league is moving away from enforcer roles. Signing Lemieux, in particular, would be a mistake, considering that he is just not good enough to make the Jets roster, with all our prospects. He would just be stealing a spot from someone else like Roslovic, Spacek, Harkins, etc.

Connor is going to wind up in the top six. You can take that to the bank.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Keeping Peluso or Thorbs around would be horrible moves. The league is moving away from enforcer roles. Signing Lemieux, in particular, would be a mistake, considering that he is just not good enough to make the Jets roster, with all our prospects. He would just be stealing a spot from someone else like Roslovic, Spacek, Harkins, etc.

Connor is going to wind up in the top six. You can take that to the bank.

Not that I'm complaining, but our top six is getting crowded :amazed:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I have not watched the last game yet so don't spoil it for me. I will take your word that post AHL Conner is a much better player. If he puts on weight he will slow down so the 177 pound Conner might be better than the 182 lb. Conner.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Scheifele got 34 points in his first full season (he played in 63 games). I would very happy if Connor hit that mark.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Not that I'm complaining, but our top six is getting crowded :amazed:

It certainly is but within the next 2 seasons, one or possibly even two of Perreault, Wheeler and Little will be gone - either through the expansion draft (Matt is probably a long shot if they decide to protect Lowry instead), free agency or trade prior to free agency.

With big contracts for the likes of Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey and Trouba (hopefully) over the 2018 and 2019 seasons there will probably not be enough cap room to pay Perreault his current salary and give extensions to both Wheeler and Little. Hopefully guys like Connor can fill the void.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
It certainly is but within the next 2 seasons, one or possibly even two of Perreault, Wheeler and Little will be gone - either through the expansion draft (Matt is probably a long shot if they decide to protect Lowry instead), free agency or trade prior to free agency.

With big contracts for the likes of Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey and Trouba (hopefully) over the 2018 and 2019 seasons there will probably not be enough cap room to pay Perreault his current salary and give extensions to both Wheeler and Little. Hopefully guys like Connor can fill the void.

When you shed salary, you should get rid of players whose wins/$ are low. Perreault's are off the charts in the good direction

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Personally, I think Copp is a keeper. He has a lot of attributes that you want on a championship caliber team. He can play with talent, but also bring something in lower roles. He can kill penalties, play C and he's a big body that can really skate. His offense keeps getting better, and he actually has a good scoring touch with a good shot. I know the stats might disagree at this point, but I don't mind keeping him over Dano and Petan, all things considered. I think he'll be a key bottom-6 player for this team even as it transitions into a contender.

Good post. 100% agree with you Whilee!

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

It's tough to score consistently in the NHL.
I hope I'm wrong but I see more of an Ehlers trajectory.
Lower points in 2017 - 18 (mid 40's) with an increase to 60+ pts in year 2.

Connor will likely show flashes of dominance and hints of a .75 to 1.00 PPG player but also suffer from some cold streaks.

Injuries could propel him into a juicy top 6 role which could boost his production a lot.

If we're healthy like we hope we will be then I side on the lower projections but that would still be great!

Thorbs extension would feel like a punch to the gut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad