Confirmed with Link: Kuzy back 2 years $3mil AAV

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Nice! Thought it will be less, but what do I know.

This 2 years span is obviously the window for GMBM.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Would've hoped it would be ~0.5M less. Still worth it, of course.

These two years really shaping up as the window to load up and go for it.

Laich, and to lesser extent, Mojo, remain the last big chunks of cap space one would ideally want to give to more impactful players... but, the Caps are in much better shape than they were a week ago, BM still has until deadline to try to move Laich/improve the bottom-6, and hopefully Trotz can get Mojo to take another step..

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
You all do realize he makes 2.2 million this year right? And he has a 400k signing bonus

nice so we basically have an extra 1m cap space?

I love the strategy GMBM seems to be taking here.

somethings up, I wonder if the holtby contract and mojo delay would mean he's attempting to make another trade.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
too lazy to look, but when Kuzys contract increases to 3.2 next season, who's contract comes off to absorb some of that increase? chimmer? hopefully a cap increase as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
too lazy to look, but when Kuzys contract increases to 3.2 next season, who's contract comes off to absorb some of that increase? chimmer? hopefully a cap increase as well.
The salary raises but the cap hit is the same both years ($3M).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A little bit higher than I was hoping for, considering he doesn't have arbitration rights. Was hoping for something more around $2.5M given his relative lack of stats compared to the Ottawa kids.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Question for the capologists: Why give him a $400K signing bonus rather than just pay him $2.6 the first year? Doesn't seem to affect the cap hit any differently unless I'm not understanding.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'm glad they got it done. I though the $2.85M figure everyone was throwing around was too low. Sure he doesn't have a long NHL resume but his ceiling and pedigree are top notch.

Anyone here think he couldn't get $3M on the open market?

donosaur

Nov 28, 2011
Question for the capologists: Why give him a $400K signing bonus rather than just pay him $2.6 the first year. Doesn't seem to affect the cap hit any differently unless I'm not understanding.

He gets the $400K immediately after signing. Maybe he needed some extra cash for the newborn or something.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Question for the capologists: Why give him a $400K signing bonus rather than just pay him $2.6 the first year. Doesn't seem to affect the cap hit any differently unless I'm not understanding.

It doesn't impact the salary cap either way. There's some more in depth discussion regarding signing bonuses in the Business of Hockey board after ROR's contract (only $1M salary each year, rest is signing bonuses).

Players tend to prefer bonuses, since it's a lump sum at the start of the year. It makes them harder to buy out, and it allows them to invest (or spend) that cash immediately.

I'm glad they got it done. I though the $2.85M figure everyone was throwing around was too low. Sure he doesn't have a long NHL resume but his ceiling and pedigree are top notch.

Anyone here think he couldn't get $3M on the open market?
The whole point of the RFA system is that Kuznetsov isn't on the open market. His "pedigree" and "ceiling" don't drive up his contract value, especially when there's nobody bidding against you. The team could have elected to take him to arbitration, which would have shielded him from offer sheets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad