Line Combos: Kurashev

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm not being aggressive. You just never admit you were wrong about anything.
So now you're taking it into a broader statement about me on a personal level that I "never" admit to being wrong, which is false, I admit to being wrong when I am wrong.
I'm not making any claims to the quality of player that Kurashev will be, nor am I comparing him to a Hossa or Sharp as far as talent goes. All I was doing was proving that your claim that Kurashev doesn't fit the timeline based upon... his age... is wrong.
Well my point is all about what quality of player Kurashev will be... that's the whole point of the discussion. Whether he fits into the timeline or not depends 100% on the type of player Kurashev will be.
Because it is.
That's an opinion....

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So now you're taking it into a broader statement about me on a personal level that I "never" admit to being wrong, which is false, I admit to being wrong when I am wrong.

Well my point is all about what quality of player Kurashev will be... that's the whole point of the discussion. Whether he fits into the timeline or not depends 100% on the type of player Kurashev will be.

That's an opinion....

To the first paragraph, I call bullshit. Or you'd admit you were wrong here.

To the second paragraph, that's not what you argued. You argued that because of his age, he doesn't fit the timeline, and tried to qualify that statement by claiming that you can possibly just fill his role in with a similar UFA or your own draft pick pool. And to argue that him fitting the timeline or not is dependent on what type of player he will be is... illogical. Even with the player he currently is, a defensively responsible middle 6 forward,(3rd liner on a good team), he would fit the timeline just fine. There is literally NOTHING that excludes Kurashev from fitting the timeline for the next Hawks window of contention.

To that being an opinion... no... it's really not. Claiming he doesn't fit the timeline based solely upon him being "almost 6 years older than Bedard" is... wrong. He fits the timeline just fine whether basing it on talent, age, or both.

Nah, he's almost 6 years older than Bedard. Unless you think it makes sense to extend him deep into UFA years (and don't think you can replace him at a decent cap hit for the role he brings with some other UFA, and that's only if you haven't already upgraded/replaced the spot from within the prospect pool), his personal timeline and the Hawks projected timeline aren't perfectly in sync.

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Bingo. That's his most real value, and I think the Hawks shouldn't yet be scoffing at future draft capital because it places a lot more strain on existing prospects/players... including Kurashev being a better player at 30 than he is today and providing good value at whatever cap it takes to re-sign Kurashev into his UFA years.

I don't believe Kurashev (or the vast majority of other players) is a better player at 30 than he will be in his mid-20's. Excluding the few exceptions - most players are at their peak in their mid to late 20's. Kurashev is just entering his window of peak performance and most likely he will get a little better over the next couple seasons than he is right now before his play starts dipping as he nears 30.

Is he an allstar top line guy on a contending team? No, and probably never will reach that level. But he's a good player with good future years that is more valuable to the Hawks at this stage in the rebuild process than more draft capital.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't know because Kubalik and Kurashev are nothing alike. Kubalik has a good shot and basically nothing else to be a productive player. Kurashev has a decent shot but his overall game is much better than Kubalik.
Similar-ish names. Both start with "Ku", both are Europeans.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
I don't know because Kubalik and Kurashev are nothing alike. Kubalik has a good shot and basically nothing else to be a productive player. Kurashev has a decent shot but his overall game is much better than Kubalik.
I think this is Kurashev's outlier year playing with Bedard. Like Kubalik's 1st season with Hawks. Neither ever outdid those seasons. Just as I predicted Frolik would never score 20 goals in a season again once he left FLA

Reactions: x Tame Impala

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think this is Kurashev's outlier year playing with Bedard. Like Kubalik's 1st season with Hawks. Neither ever outdid those seasons. Just as I predicted Frolik would never score 20 goals in a season again once he left FLA

I hope that it's more important to you to be wrong about that than it is to be able to say you were right on the internet.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Never thought I’d see such a ruckus over Phillip Kurashev but here we are. Dudes a fraud without Bedard.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I admit to being wrong when I am wrong.
but what if you don’t know you’re wrong? seems to me you can only admit to being wrong when you are right i.e. when you’ve realized that you were wrong. and what if you are wrong about being wrong and so you admit to being wrong when you were right?

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Most players even on cup contending teams don’t drive offense on their lines. If Kurashev can be a cog in the system of a really good team, then what’s the problem?

Nobody’s advocating giving him 8 million dollars or anything. But the Hawks will never go anywhere if they just throw anyone who plays with Bedard away because of the “Bedard effect”

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Most players even on cup contending teams don’t drive offense on their lines. If Kurashev can be a cog in the system of a really good team, then what’s the problem?

Nobody’s advocating giving him 8 million dollars or anything. But the Hawks will never go anywhere if they just throw anyone who plays with Bedard away because of the “Bedard effect”

Well Kurashev does have the “Bedard” effect. Don’t let him pull the wool over your eyes. Lol

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I wouldn't say he doesn't fit in the rebuild based on his ability because I doubt we've seen his ceiling yet - but I agree he doesn't fit from a numbers perspective with, in my opinion, there are 3 LD's we've already seen in the NHL who are ahead of him - Vlassic, Korchinski and Kaiser - and 2 more LD's we haven't yet seen in the NHL who may be better than him - del Mastro and Allan. Having 6 legitimate LD prospects is a luxury that allows KD to deal one of them to improve the team in other areas.
I was referring to Phillip Kurashev , Not Isaak Phillips. I do agree with your ranking on our D .

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Then you keep him and trade him for an Andrew Ladd type when we are ready to compete.
Grit was the underappreciated element that won us the 3 Stanley Cups. The Bickells , Bollands , Brouwers , Shaws , Hjallmarssons, Ladds, Maddens . That's when you have to ask yourself ,"Is this guy skilled enough to play on a winning team or gritty enough to fit in ".

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Grit was the underappreciated element that won us the 3 Stanley Cups. The Bickells , Bollands , Brouwers , Shaws , Hjallmarssons, Ladds, Maddens . That's when you have to ask yourself ,"Is this guy skilled enough to play on a winning team or gritty enough to fit in ".
I mean, we also won with Frolik, Kruger, Vermette, etc. He has his place.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
This is the reality l of Hawks #1line:
Fokugno -21
Bedard -37
Kurashev -39

Tgeyget dominated in 5x5 play...Cannot get pucks back in own zone.. lose checking position and non-effective preventing goals...and do notcscorecenough 5x5 to mitigatecthe horrid differential score numbers at even strength..

Bedardxhas a long way tobgp to get his ES numbers to the positive.. Fokigni too slow to stay with his checks in d-zone in sustained pushes...And Kurashev is NOT Hossa defensiveky ...by mikes.

This #1line in ED gets dominated by all butvother bottom feeders teans at eve strength..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad