Line Combos: Kurashev

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Kurashev seems to be developing some chemistry with Bedard lately. Can he be a mainstay on that top line? His one-timer on the right flank is proving to be one heck of an asset that has been missing for a while. I wasn't expecting 40 points from him this year. What is his ceiling?

Either way, the kid is showing that he can be a legitimate top-9 forward for the Hawks

Last edited:

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Impossible to know what his ceiling is at this point. Playing with Bedard has certainly helped him at this point. But it should be noted the talent was always there from juniors onwards, just very inconsistent.

It’s not impossible his ceiling is higher than expected. 24 year old Zach Hyman was a nothing player. 31 year old Zach Hyman is a 50 goal scorer. If Kurashev keeps this up into next year, then pay him.

Reactions: Pez68

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Bedard is going to have the Rob Brown effect on any non elite talent that he plays with. Right now it's Kurashev and Foligno.

Kurashev is a serviceable top 9 forward who benefits offensively because he plays with Bedard. If he keeps playing with him he is going to cash in on his next contract.

Kurashev's deal is up after next year. He can easily get 60-70 points if he spends the year on Bedards line. He can command 6+ mil easy with that kind of production. He's probably worth a max of 4 if he wasn't playing with Bedard.

I see him as a depth top 9 scorer. He's a piece to a scoring line. Kind of like a Versteeg or Max Domi. You can't overpay those types of players.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Ideally you’d eventually want a better player in that particular spot next to Bedard on the top line, but for now he’s a solid plug in. On a contender/in a vacuum he’s an above average 3rd liner. Maybe he winds up playing a lesser role in the coming years when we load up the roster.

Reactions: Space umpire

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I really wish we would have signed him to 5 or 6 years last summer even if it had to be at 3-3.25 (or even 3.5) per. We did not need the cap space for the 2 years (obviously by the stupid money we paid the likes of Foligno/AA/Perry) he was signed and trying to get something locked in (other than Seth Jones) long term at a rate that could be a bargain and in the worst case would not be a major hinderance would have been good. Unfortunately, playing Kurashev with Bedard will likely lead to having to make a choice between paying what the player really is verses what the players stats (sidekicking with Bedard) make him appear to be. Kurashev's production curve has him trending toward being a 6+ million a year guy which in my opinoin he is not. On a team that is not a bottom feeding toilet bowl (call it the ABC line effect) or not running shotgun with Bedard, Kurashev is a 3rd liner and should be priced at a range of 4-5 million per max when he gets to the leverage of free agency/open market.

Hoping Vlasic is a guy we can work out some term with this Summer as a calculated gamble that the later years of his deal could become a bit of a bargain if he continues to develop.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Kurashwv has improved every year so there’s that…

Yep. He has good instincts/hockey-IQ, a plus skater, always gives a good effort, and is now starting to develop his offense and with it - his confidence. I don't think we can know his ceiling yet as he is clearly still ascending. Just happy KD decided to do the 2-year option so we know he'll be here next season.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
This is how stars pay for themselves. Connor will take two nobodies making 3-4 million a yea and make one of the best lines in hockey.

It will be up to kurashev in contract negotiations in a year to decide if he wants off the gravy train.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
He tries hard and hovers around average in most facets of the game. I just don't know what role he'd fit into on a team making a serious playoff run. Obviously working well with Bedard for the time-being.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Abover average skater, above average shot, IMO. Seems to be active, goes to the boards and battles......shown real growth this year .....next year should be interesting.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I just see an above average third line winger that's absolutely riding Bedard's coat tails.
People have made a career in that before with Crosby
IMG_9660.jpeg

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
People have made a career in that before with Crosby
Sure you just don't pay those guys market rate. And I've defended Kurashev for awhile. Plenty of people were ready to move on going back to the last few years.

He was pretty universally believed to have gotten way overpaid heading into this season.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Sure you just don't pay those guys market rate. And I've defended Kurashev for awhile. Plenty of people were ready to move on going back to the last few years.

He was pretty universally believed to have gotten way overpaid heading into this season.
I agree. I’d email him and his agent a link to Kunitz capfriendly and tell him 6-7%% of the cap ceiling is the highest he will get if that. But if we are discussing whether he’ll make a bigger impact toward bedard versus say rotating a certain caste/type of rookie on ELC that fits his playstyle, or maybe a draisaitl type(holding out for McKenna), that’s a good question.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I just see an above average third line winger that's absolutely riding Bedard's coat tails.
Of course any decent offensive player will benefit greatly playing with Bedard ... but in Kurashev I see a guy who has not only progressed in his game but perhaps more importantly in his confidence.

I agree with giza: Next year should prove to be interesting... with or without playing regularly with Bedard.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Yea just what this team needs. Less talent.

Not to mention having to wait 2 or 3 or 4 years for the mid first round pick to get to and be productive in the NHL.

The rebuild process is in motion. The timing is the defense comes online this season, next season and the season after that so by then the defense that started their experience clocks this season will be ready for primetime with successive d-men groups following them up.

The forwards, not needing to cook as long as d-men, will come online over the next couple years and be ready to compete at the same time as the d-core.

Players drafted this year and beyond are pipeline depth unless they're special players like a Celebrini who can cut the time needed to develop by most players.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
His shot isn’t good.

Disagree... He's obviously been working on his shot. His one-timer is actually pretty good. His release is much quicker than it was in previous seasons. He has a much heavier shot. It's pretty obvious he realized he's going to be getting a ton of looks with Bedard, and needs to capitalize on those. Has there been a time this season where you went "man, I wish Kurashev could shoot". No. He's a good finisher, especially if he's gonna play with Bedard. I can't think of a single time he has cost Bedard an assist. And I can think of dozens of instances where other teammates have cost Bedard an assist.

Kurashev's shot is just fine.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
I think he is a solid player on Bedard's wing right now and he continues to improve. I like the chemistry. If he is a player that could fetch a Hagel-type deal then go ahead

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Disagree... He's obviously been working on his shot. His one-timer is actually pretty good. His release is much quicker than it was in previous seasons. He has a much heavier shot. It's pretty obvious he realized he's going to be getting a ton of looks with Bedard, and needs to capitalize on those. Has there been a time this season where you went "man, I wish Kurashev could shoot". No. He's a good finisher, especially if he's gonna play with Bedard. I can't think of a single time he has cost Bedard an assist. And I can think of dozens of instances where other teammates have cost Bedard an assist.

Kurashev's shot is just fine.
Earlier on in the season I said I wish he could shoot multiple times. On the PP during the first 40 games or so he couldn’t one time anything. Also Bedard would have even more points if Kurashev was scoring them like he did against Anaheim.

But against Anaheim you could have scored those. They were wide ass open center of the net. He’s definitely gotten better as the year goes on. I’m just hesitant about paying him.

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad