Rumor: Kulda moving back to Russia

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
He did post a few "this weather sucks" type comments on his Instagram photos.

He must hate it here. ;)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Did he even dress in a game for us this season?

No.

I hope the KHL pays him 2-3 million per season, because he is easily worth that in KHL. Honestly I hope the Jets trade him to a place where he has a real chance, since I think he can be a real quality NHLer, at very least in a Karlis Skrastins :)cry:) type role. He clearly wants to prove himself in NA with his 2 years OHL experience on ATL recommendation + FOUR years AHL experience + RESIGNING with the team that cast him aside in WPG.

I know those of us that know me know that I have been waiting to comment on this thread. I still have absolutely NO doubt this guy is an NHLer. I was really really disappointed in Noel's handling of this guy.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
RESIGNING with the team that cast him aside in WPG.

I'm going to call your bluff on this. Did Colorado cast aside O'Reilly? He simply went to the KHL thinking the lockout would last a year. I'm on your side though, I really hope he's back.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
No.

I hope the KHL pays him 2-3 million per season, because he is easily worth that in KHL. Honestly I hope the Jets trade him to a place where he has a real chance, since I think he can be a real quality NHLer, at very least in a Karlis Skrastins :)cry:) type role. He clearly wants to prove himself in NA with his 2 years OHL experience on ATL recommendation + FOUR years AHL experience + RESIGNING with the team that cast him aside in WPG.

I know those of us that know me know that I have been waiting to comment on this thread. I still have absolutely NO doubt this guy is an NHLer. I was really really disappointed in Noel's handling of this guy.

I agree completely. I think Kulda could do very well in the NHL... With Hainsey and Clitsome on the way to free agency, Kulda should be brought back and given a legitimate chance. I would be surprised if Kulda wasn't better than Postma, he seems better in his own end and is actually putting up points where ever he plays. (9g 15p in 50 games in the KHL, 1g 1a in 4 games for Latvia at the WC while being second on the team in ice time)

I hate how Noel doesn't give guys a chance to succeed. With Fehr, he played him 4 minutes a game on the fourth line or he put him in the press box. Look at how he's played with good line mates and time in Washington.

Kulda's getting the same treatment, atleast give the guy a shot. Chances are Meech isn't coming back, why not play Kulda over Meech towards the end of the season?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
No.

I agree completely. I think Kulda could do very well in the NHL... With Hainsey and Clitsome on the way to free agency, Kulda should be brought back and given a legitimate chance. I would be surprised if Kulda wasn't better than Postma, he seems better in his own end and is actually putting up points where ever he plays. (9g 15p in 50 games in the KHL, 1g 1a in 4 games for Latvia at the WC while being second on the team in ice time)

Agree strongly that he is an NHL calibre defenceman and leaving him out of the lineup is the coaching decision that I had the most trouble with this past season. In fact, right now I have Kulda pencilled in as our #2 LHD beside Bogo (with whom he excelled in Junior) next season. If the Jets can sign him to a 1-way contract at 1-1.5 mill they will be getting a bargain, because he has all of Hainsey's defensive assets, while being tougher and younger. The fact that he has also scored aa goal in the last 2 years makes him an offensive powerhouse next to Hainsey, but that is not what the Jets need from him. (That is why comparisons to Postma are not that relevant--Postma, as an offensive RHD, is exactly what the Jets don't need.)
I will be royally pissed off if the Jets lose Kulda, but I don't believe the rumours, nor do I believe that Chevy & Co. are that dumb....are they?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
No.

I'm a Kulda fan too, but I don't think it is that drastic.

First of all, we don't know where Kulda would have spent last season if there wasn't a lockout.

Second, while I agree that Kulda probably could play here, but I don't see him stepping in and getting tough minutes right away. I see him as a longer term piece that a must have right now kind of player. Plus the Jets were and are already set to break in a bunch of youngsters. I see it as a dilly of a pickle.

What I see as ideal...

Scenario 1:
The Jets blow their FA wad on forwards and a quality backup goalie then they sign Kulda to a cap friendly 1-way deal. In this scenario Hainsey and Clitsome are goners.

This leaves the Jets with Buff-Toby-Bogo-Stu-Redmond-Postma-Kulda-Trouba or 3 (almost 4) ROOKIES and a struggle to keep them all busy.

Scenario 2:
The Jets bring back Clitsome and/or add a better FA piece who would likely slot in ahead of Kulda short term. In this scenario the Jets qualify Kulda and keep his rights. He goes back to the K and figures back into the mix next year when Stu's deal is up. At this point on of Redmond, Trouba and Postma has stepped up into a bigger role and the Jets aren't breaking in 4 young D men at the same time. This also protects Kulda from waivers.

This scenario leaves the Jets with Buff-Toby-Bogo-UFA/Clitty-Stu-Postma-Redmond-Trouba next year.

Of course a trade involving Buff or Postma opens things up a little, but I don't have an issue with either scenario.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Agree strongly that he is an NHL calibre defenceman and leaving him out of the lineup is the coaching decision that I had the most trouble with this past season. In fact, right now I have Kulda pencilled in as our #2 LHD beside Bogo (with whom he excelled in Junior) next season. If the Jets can sign him to a 1-way contract at 1-1.5 mill they will be getting a bargain, because he has all of Hainsey's defensive assets, while being tougher and younger. The fact that he has also scored aa goal in the last 2 years makes him an offensive powerhouse next to Hainsey, but that is not what the Jets need from him. (That is why comparisons to Postma are not that relevant--Postma, as an offensive RHD, is exactly what the Jets don't need.)
I will be royally pissed off if the Jets lose Kulda, but I don't believe the rumours, nor do I believe that Chevy & Co. are that dumb....are they?

Better than Postma or not, postma still has plenty of upside and I want the Jets to keep and develop all of them. Owning the rights to a better developed Postma, Redmond and Kulda is better than just having any two. Even if Kulda makes more sense for the team long term, Postma can be built into a desirable, tradable asset.

As for the #2LD thing... Maybe, but he isn't proven in the NHL and we are kidding ourselves if we think Noel ices him ahead of Stu right away.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Better than Postma or not, postma still has plenty of upside and I want the Jets to keep and develop all of them. Owning the rights to a better developed Postma, Redmond and Kulda is better than just having any two. Even if Kulda makes more sense for the team long term, Postma can be built into a desirable, tradable asset.

As for the #2LD thing... Maybe, but he isn't proven in the NHL and we are kidding ourselves if we think Noel ices him ahead of Stu right away.
I don't disagree with the first part--develop our stable of RHDs and make a strategic trade, as we simply have too many of them.
Re the second part, again, I can't disagree that Kulda is an NHL neophyte, but he has really excelled in the KHL and I believe the assets that allowed a big, tough, smart D to do so will be more translatable to our smaller ice surface than those of, eg, a small, fast forward. The other reason for my high ranking of him is that our LHD cupboard is, simply, quite bare. Stuart, most would agree, has peaked as a third pairing D with heart; and Clitsome, at the age of 28, played above his level, but still projects as a #3D with upside. Who is left?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't disagree with the first part--develop our stable of RHDs and make a strategic trade, as we simply have too many of them.
Re the second part, again, I can't disagree that Kulda is an NHL neophyte, but he has really excelled in the KHL and I believe the assets that allowed a big, tough, smart D to do so will be more translatable to our smaller ice surface than those of, eg, a small, fast forward. The other reason for my high ranking of him is that our LHD cupboard is, simply, quite bare. Stuart, most would agree, has peaked as a third pairing D with heart; and Clitsome, at the age of 28, played above his level, but still projects as a #3D with upside. Who is left?

Noone. The problem is that I don't see Noel icing him ahead of Stu, so if he sticks the Jets are realistically going to have Stu on the 2nd pair and Kulda, Postma, Redmond, Trouba fighting for 3rd pairing minutes. That is a very inexperienced bunch.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Hope this isn't true. I'll always remember the insane numbers he put up in Chicago being paired with Chelios.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hope this isn't true. I'll always remember the insane numbers he put up in Chicago being paired with Chelios.

That is the thing AtlantaWhaler Ron Maclean said the guy he thinks Bogosian most reminds him of is Chris Chelios and the rest of the panel agreed. Sure when Kulda played with Chris he was at the end and very experienced but still I think Bogo and Kulda could be a great team.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
The problem we have on D right now is obviously the large hole at the LD2 position. If we want to bring back Kulda, either he or Stuart has to take that role, and I really can't see that happening. Either that, or we buy out Stuart, replace him with Kulda for a mill, and now we still have the hole at LD2, but we have $700k of extra cap space ($200k of actual dollars) to fill it.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't have a problem with:

Enstrom
Clitsome
Kulda
Stuart

In that order, or maybe trade Stuart.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The problem we have on D right now is obviously the large hole at the LD2 position. If we want to bring back Kulda, either he or Stuart has to take that role, and I really can't see that happening. Either that, or we buy out Stuart, replace him with Kulda for a mill, and now we still have the hole at LD2, but we have $700k of extra cap space ($200k of actual dollars) to fill it.
Stuart may not be great, but he tradable.

I would understand moving him to let a youngster eat those sheltered minutes. The Gen Pop would flip though. I don't see Chevy doing it either.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Buy out Stuart? Now that's one of the more perplexing things I've seen. :huh:

Agree Duke: Stuart is a tradable asset, if it comes to that. If he doesn't fit into the Jets plans, I'm sure they can find a willing trade partner.

jetsfan101

May 10, 2013
Agree Duke: Stuart is a tradable asset, if it comes to that. If he doesn't fit into the Jets plans, I'm sure they can find a willing trade partner.

Yup, no idea where my head was at, besides that I was just looking at a thread that discussed possible buyouts? My bad.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Phoenix has a log jam at defense and it's getting to the point now that they're having trouble managing it. Chris Summers is a LHD who will be a UFA after doing his time in the A and still not getting much big league time. Not a lot of upside but he can skate as well as anyone. Would be a smart signing.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The problem is we have our own log jam. Everyone except trouba is waiver eligible IIRC.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Phoenix has a log jam at defense and it's getting to the point now that they're having trouble managing it. Chris Summers is a LHD who will be a UFA after doing his time in the A and still not getting much big league time. Not a lot of upside but he can skate as well as anyone. Would be a smart signing.

I mentioned Summers months ago in a different thread. I think he'd be a decent pick up. He doesn't have much of an offensive game, but he is reliable defensively, has good hockey sense and is a terrific skater. He also played some forward both in the AHL and in college I believe. Very low risk move that wouldn't hurt.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Agreed, I've also thrown out Klesla's name as well. Whatever D we get has to take a lot of PK time, and Klesla can do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad