Confirmed with Link: Kulak is back (4 years, $2.75M AAV)

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Good to have him back. I liked the player, maybe a bit too much for him but it’s the price you pay I guess.

Still would like a Provorov/Sanheim/Chychurun for the 2nd pairing.

I don’t remember, can Kulak play his offside at all?

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Very nice. Kulak sees this team is going places and wants his piece of that pie.

Still need another dman though to lessen Nurse's minutes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kulak was our best D against Colorado, can skate really well, he's 28, local guy, and he's an exceptional zone entry denier. Analytics love him, and so do all of us who watched him post TDL.
He was playing 16 minutes a night against Colorado.

I agree Kulak is a great bottom pairing dman. But your second pair guy needs to be at 20 minutes. Not 16.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Kulak was our best D against Colorado, can skate really well, he's 28, local guy, and he's an exceptional zone entry denier. Analytics love him, and so do all of us who watched him post TDL.
I'm puzzled by why Montreal would have traded him for Lagesson? I guess a 2nd rounder was also part of the deal.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
tad higher than I hoped, but we're splitting hairs for 2.75MM and 2.25MM
Welcome back Brett!

Holland off to a great start. Still hoping for a 2nd pairing LD, but the team looks better today.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's a bit weird to me that you want to keep Barrie but not Kulak.

I'd rather just find a taker for Barrie which gives us the cap space to acquire a better defender and run:

Nurse - Ceci
X - Bouchard
Kulak - Broberg
I want to keep Barrie because he’s one of the leagues premier offensive dmen, is a year removed from leading the league in points for a dman and has proven he can be a good top 4 dman.

But hey, if Holland moves out Barrie and is able to acquire someone better for the left side… fine. I’m happy with Kulak as a bottom pairing dman. I’m not happy with him as an anchor in the top 4.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I want to keep Barrie because he’s one of the leagues premier offensive dmen, is a year removed from leading the league in points for a dman and has proven he can be a good top 4 dman.

But hey, if Holland moves out Barrie and is able to acquire someone better for the left side… fine. I’m happy with Kulak as a bottom pairing dman. I’m not happy with him as an anchor in the top 4.
But he doesn't play in the top 4..

If $2.75M is too much for a bottom pairing defenseman in Kulak, then $4.5M is definitely too much for a bottom paring defenseman in Barrie.

I agree that I don't want our second pairing to be Kulak - Bouchard, but it might be serviceable until the deadline.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016

If $2.75M is too much for a bottom pairing defenseman in Kulak, then $4.5M is definitely too much for a bottom paring defenseman in Barrie.

I agree that I don't want our second pairing to be Kulak - Bouchard, but it might be serviceable until the deadline.
Agree with this. Kulak likely to play bottom pairing minutes, but serviceable to fill in 2nd pairing if theres an injury.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He's actually fine at that total if you're bringing in kids along the way.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Look at that Cernak deal and tell me Kulak isn't a bargain!
Cernak is a much much much better player than Kulak lmfao. One guy is one of the highest leverage defenders in the league who plays vs elites the other plays mostly vs bottom 6 forwards/bottom pairing dmen.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019

If you look around the league at dmen who average 19-20 mins you will see they are generally in the 3-6M cap hit range. Like I said, the cap hit is totally fine for a #4-5 dman AND is actually low enough that it isn't bad as the anchor to a 3rd pairing when he is passed by on the depth chart. I just think you don't have a handle on what dmen in his age range and usage actually garner on the open market tbh.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad