Confirmed with Link: Kulak is back (4 years, $2.75M AAV)

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Like the player but iffy on fit unless there's another move coming. He is much better than any other 3LD option out there, and he's not making so much that he needs to be top four. This has to be the template though:

Nurse-?
?-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard

We're not going to win anything of note rolling out those four above 20+ minutes a game.

Reactions: fresh meat

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Gross.

Too much for a bottom pairing dman (in money and term) but ensures the Oilers have no space for a genuine top 4 LHD.

Oilers backend is very likely going to be brutal unless Holland has some hidden miracle up his sleeve.

I doubt he's done, they'll have to shed some salary elsewhere

Kulak is worth 2.75 imo and I don't hate him on the 2nd pairing depending on his dpartner

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Beautiful signing. Was worried he would leave when testing free agency. So happy to have him back.

Campbell, Kane, Kulak and close to getting Connor Brown? Holland is having a Grade A offseason. I would prefer 1 more defenseman and shipping out Puljujarvi/Foegele to get that defenseman.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hahahaha are you ever happy? Kulak was solid for us. I have no idea what player you are watching.
I’m watching a player who is a great bottom pairing guy who has always been a bottom pairing guy who all of a sudden is going to need to play as a top 4 guy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Cap space getting a lot tighter with the 3 RFAs left to sign. Especially if 2 of them go to arbitration where its hard to guess what an arbitrator will do.

I think Holland probably has a Barrie trade lined up for at least some cap relief.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
HUGE W. Local guy, great skater, right side of 30 and a great fit. He was our best D against Colorado.

2.75, analytic darling and zone denier extraordinaire. One of the rare cases where eye test matches the numbers.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
2.75 for a high end #5, low end #4 is a solid cap hit. Anyone who thinks this is an overpay needs to re evaluate the D market
Exactly this. Not to mention this contract covers what should be his most productive years (late 20s/early 30s). The cap hit also allows us to slide him to bottom pair as our younger guys (hopefully) earn their way past him on the depth chart.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Cap space getting a lot tighter with the 3 RFAs left to sign. Especially if 2 of them go to arbitration where its hard to guess what an arbitrator will do.

I think Holland probably has a Barrie trade lined up for at least some cap relief.
Honestly I think it's going to be Barrie for Brown and Foegle for something. Should free up room for Pulji and Yams.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Don't love the price, but I do really like the player.

If we're penciling him in to play in the middle pairing that's a gamble no question about it, but I'm not sure we are.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
Yay! I liked him and think he fills a depth need on defense. Typically worry when players go to UFA, but seems like some players just want to double check what the market is before committing (I don't begrudge them doing that at all of course).

Welcome back Brett!

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad