Confirmed with Link: Kukan re-signed for 2 years

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I forgot we even had Chorney. Poor guy probably will never dress in a game.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm all for keeping Cole but he is going to want a nice chunk of a raise and I don't think we should be the team to pay him 4.5 mil for 4yrs when we need the money for Murray Panarin and Bob. With Z/Jones Murray/Nuti and Savard/Kukan we can be fine if Cole wants to make bank on someone else. I see GMJK really wanting Cole to stay he drafted him and then went right after him so I see him WILLING to pay him and overpaying a little but there are teams out there like the oilers who sign that Lucic deal so he might chase the money and we can't die on that hill.

I think Murray is gone. Finding money for Bob and Bread shouldn't be an issue. Chicago pays Kane and Toews at 10.5 cap hit each and still finds room to pay for important players.

The CBJ's biggest issue is that they've always let important role players walk only to let the spot be filled by someone who doesn't perform after being expected to step up with no experience. They let Letestu walk, they let MacKenzie walk, they let Ray Whitney walk. It's clear Ian Cole brings a lot to this locker room as a winner and as Torts has called out several times, a guy who communicates on the ice like nobody else on that blue line. If this team is going to continue to be competitive, he's a guy who needs to be kept. I like Kukan, I like Nuti. However they haven't done anything on the NHL level that even comes close to professional and playoff experience that Ian Cole brings.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'm fine with Cole staying it's just price. If someone has to go my choice is Savard. Murray is our 2nd best defender and when on the ice we win. Cole and Kukan might make a great pair.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I'm fine with Cole staying it's just price. If someone has to go my choice is Savard. Murray is our 2nd best defender and when on the ice we win. Cole and Kukan might make a great pair.

I really don't understand why you're so insistent on trading Savard

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That might be true on Murray but the issue is he can't stay healthy through bad luck or whatever. I like Kukan a lot and has not looked out of place when he has played. It just seems to be a leap of faith to just hand him the keys to the 3rd pair without a bit more experience. I'd love to see him earn time as a regular. The key piece Cole brings is some grit that seems to be missing quite a bit this year. He brings back more of the "hard to play against" mentality that has been missing so much. Kukan, Nuti and Murray seem to be more of the same type of player. In my mind Kukan is a potential replacement for Murray and Cole is a replacement for JJ in next year's lineup

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think Murray is gone. Finding money for Bob and Bread shouldn't be an issue. Chicago pays Kane and Toews at 10.5 cap hit each and still finds room to pay for important players.

The CBJ's biggest issue is that they've always let important role players walk only to let the spot be filled by someone who doesn't perform after being expected to step up with no experience. They let Letestu walk, they let MacKenzie walk, they let Ray Whitney walk. It's clear Ian Cole brings a lot to this locker room as a winner and as Torts has called out several times, a guy who communicates on the ice like nobody else on that blue line. If this team is going to continue to be competitive, he's a guy who needs to be kept. I like Kukan, I like Nuti. However they haven't done anything on the NHL level that even comes close to professional and playoff experience that Ian Cole brings.

You gotta think that if Cole continues to play the way he has that a deal will get done. Jarmo drafted him and he's only 29. A 4 year deal in the $3 million range seems very doable.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Why are you insistent on Murray?
Because he’s a china doll, that doesn’t play thru discomfort. And good for Torts , finally using this against Murray. Murray is healthy tonight , but he’s sitting because Nutivaara played well last game. Not to mention, he’s a better Ryan Murray , that doesn’t miss 45% of games due to some sort of injury

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Because he’s a china doll, that doesn’t play thru discomfort. And good for Torts , finally using this against Murray. Murray is healthy tonight , but he’s sitting because Nutivaara played well last game. Not to mention, he’s a better Ryan Murray , that doesn’t miss 45% of games due to some sort of injury
JJ and Nuti pairing with Montreal.
CF-25, CA-58(!!!). SF-10, SA-28 ,SCF-14, SCA-30(!!!), HDCF-4, HDCA-18(!!!)
Keep shitting on Murray.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think his signing just adds depth and trade flexibility. I see us trying to re-sign Cole & Murray. Letting JJ walk.
Trade fodder will include, in varying degrees, all D except Jones & Z.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Before we anoint Nutivaara some sort of iron man, let’s all remember he has missed time with injuries in both of his seasons as well. Murray played 60 games last year. Nutivaara played 66. He might not be super durable either.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Murray was just a miserable #2OA pick. He would've been an OK 2nd/3rd round pick. He does nothing exceptionally. He seems to be in the proper position on the ice most of the time, but other than that, where does he excel? Shooting-no. Passing-no. Skating-no. Physicality-LOL. He plays an exceptionally safe game. He rarely gets caught up ice, because he never pinches. It's an ultraconservative 140 foot game that most NHL grade defensemen can easily play. The ultimate "no risk no return" game.

People still look at his draft pedigree and think "he's a #2OA" when there's nothing that has occurred during his pro career that suggests that he should have been. The Islanders offered their entire draft picks for 2012 and the CBJ could have moved down a whopping 2 slots and had extra picks throughout the draft. Which is the very least Howson should have done before drafting a player #2 OA who had no skills out of the ordinary and, who shockingly, was injured and everyone knew he would miss likely miss his entire rookie season.

It's about time the coaching staff completely dismissed where he was drafted and play him when and where he deserves to play. If they think he's the 7th best dman or if another player has better upside, then he should sit.

If it comes down to signing Cole or Murray, it'll be interesting. Cole was a #19 overall and Jarmo picked him. His career has been more impressive than Murray's if for nothing but his durability and his 2 Stanley Cup Rings. I'm going to guess that Murray still has the inside track due to his draft pedigree and age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackets Fan

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Murray was just a miserable #2OA pick. He would've been an OK 2nd/3rd round pick. He does nothing exceptionally. He seems to be in the proper position on the ice most of the time, but other than that, where does he excel? Shooting-no. Passing-no. Physicality-LOL. He plays an exceptionally safe game. He rarely gets caught up ice, because he never pinches. It's an ultraconservative 140 foot game that most NHL grade defensemen can easily play. The ultimate "no risk no return" game.

People still look at his draft pedigree and think "he's a #2OA" when there's nothing there to suggest that he should have been. The Islanders offered their entire draft picks for 2012 and the CBJ could have moved down a whopping 2 slots and had extra picks throughout the draft. Which is the very least they should have done before drafting a player #2 OA who had no skills out of the ordinary.

It's about time the coaching staff completely dismissed where he was drafted and play him when and where he deserves to play. If they think he's the 7th best dman or if another player has better upside, then he should sit.

If it comes down to signing Cole or Murray, it'll be interesting. Cole was a #19 overall and Jarmo picked him. His career has been more impressive than Murray's if for nothing but his durability and his 2 Stanley Cup Rings. I'm going to guess that Murray still has the inside track due to his draft pedigree and age.

I agree with all of this but if the organization is top dismiss his draft pedigree then shouldn't fans, too? Let's stop judging him as a crap #2OA pick and only as an NHL defenseman who may or may not have a spot in this (or another) team's second or third pairs.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I agree with all of this but if the organization is top dismiss his draft pedigree then shouldn't fans, too? Let's stop judging him as a crap #2OA pick and only as an NHL defenseman who may or may not have a spot in this (or another) team's second or third pairs.

Yes.

I think that Murray is a great "change of scenery" candidate. If he gets traded for a 2nd round pick, both the (new) fan base and (new)management will look at him as a veteran player who was traded for a 2nd round pick. Which will be fine until that second rounder is taken and he's the next Subban:laugh:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I'd like to see come down with some of his injuries and tell you to deal with the discomfort... what an asshole thing to say. There's no reason to talk to a person with a disgusting view of hockey... like a players owes you putting his body through permanent damage so you can call him tough. Get out if here with that bullshit.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Why are you insistent on Murray?

When have I ever made this assertion outside of the whole Matt Duchene saga? You must be confusing me with Bread Man.

But to entertain you, I would say it makes much more sense to trade Murray rather than Savard. Our abundance of LHD (regardless of JJ walking/re-signing) makes him more expendable. We have no RHD depth outside of Jones and Savard on our NHL roster AND our pipeline. Peake is the only righty in our prospect pool.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
When have I ever made this assertion outside of the whole Matt Duchene saga?
Honestly I'm sorry I even said that the Panarin names blur together and I think I confused you with bread man which is why I'm apologizing because if someone thought I was him...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
When have I ever made this assertion outside of the whole Matt Duchene saga? You must be confusing me with Bread Man.

But to entertain you, I would say it makes much more sense to trade Murray rather than Savard. Our abundance of LHD (regardless of JJ walking/re-signing) makes him more expendable. We have no RHD depth outside of Jones and Savard on our NHL roster AND our pipeline. Peake is the only righty in our prospect pool.
The RHD/LHD is over played what's important is can you play right side or left side. Nuti and Carlson have both played on the right for Murray and not looked out of sync. In fact Murray and Nuti were our best pair at one point. So our top 4 without Savard isn't hurt. Cole fills one and Kukan/Carlson fight for the last spot. Tyler Johnson is available according to TBL fans and 1 of them has said ok to a Bjorkstrand and Savard for TJ+ deal. That's the kinda move that puts us over the hump.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Don't know if this has been mentioned but this salary is totally "buriable" in Cleveland with no cap hit even though its a one way deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad