Proposal: Kuemper to Toronto

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Andersen has the heaviest work load on one of the worst defensive teams in the league, kuemper is basically a backup. How is this even a debate? And before you stop bashing my backup comment, tell me how many times has he played 40+ games in a season?
Kuemper is basically a backup ? Have you seen the stats for 5vs5 . I’m a Habs fan and I honestly do not want to see kuemper in Toronto. He’s also signed for two years . I personally think kuemper would be a noticeable upgrade but I respect your views if you disagree

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Then I dont think there's a deal to be had.

The first isn't just for Andersen. In this market it should cost a draft pick to dump Reimer, and if im Toronto im not paying that draft pick for Carolina.

Reimer only costs $850k in salary this year. The cap hit is easily manageable.

I'm not expecting much for him, but I think he could be moved without giving up assets if he's not part of a Kuemper deal with Arizona.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If you use some common goalie advanced stats here ya go.

19-20KuemperAnderson Reimer
GS 29 (40th) 52 (4th) 24 (50th)
GSAA16.65 (4th)-0.40 (34th)3.38 (26th)
QS22 (T-13th)27 (T-6th)15 (T-39th)
QS%.759%.519%.625%
GA%- 80 10095
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
18-19Kuemper Anderson Reimer
GS55 (11th)60 (T-7th)29 (45th)
GSAA25.06 (4th)14.48 (14th)-9.27 (55th)
QS36 (4th)38 (T-1st)10 (T-52th)
QS%.655%.633%.345%
GA%-8392111
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
From Hockey-Reference.com glossary terms:

GSAA -- Goals Saved Above Average, the goals this goalie prevented given his save percentage and shots faced vs. the league average save percentage on the same number of shots. Min. 4 shots faced per team game needed to qualify.

QS -- Quality Starts
Starts with SV% > average SV% for the year, or at least 88.5% on nights with 20 or fewer shots against.
Developed by Rob Vollman in the Hockey Abstract.

QS% -- Quality Start Percentage
QS/GS
> 60% Good, < 50% Bad, ~53% League Avg
Developed by Rob Vollman in the Hockey Abstract.

GA%-
▲ -- GA Pct- is goals allowed % relative to league goals allowed %
Lower is better, 100 is exactly average, 0 means you have saved 100% of shots faced. Min. 4 shots faced per team game needed to qualify.

2019-20 NHL Goalie Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

This is a actually a fun fantasy trade in terms of discussing value but makes zero sense for Arizona and starting goalie swaps like this don’t happen.

The Coyotes have an elite goalie with a two year deal and eventually a team (Colorado, Carolina, Buffalo, etc ) is going to panic over their meh goalies and want Kuemper, and will pay up, despite the injury history. No offense to the Columbus goalies or whoever else is out there but last year a healthy Kuemper is gunning for the Vezina. Teams may prefer to wait and see how he plays this season before spending on him, so who knows when someone will finally step up. He’s an elite goalie, so unless Rask is actually being shopped he’s best out there.

That said, Anderson had one down year after several excellent ones and has been absolute work horse in Toronto. I would argue Anderson was just about as good Kuemper in 2018-19 so I could see why Carolina would be interested in him. I’d take Kuemper despite the injury risks but Anderson is a quality keeper coming off a down year.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I’m not saying that the leafs have to give a lot to get kuemper either . With the way the cash works out I’m sure Arizona would love that contract . I would offer Anderson and a 2022 third for kuemper and a 2021 5th. Than next year if an even better option was found you could quite possibly even get a second for kuemper. Another poster said Arizona doesn’t have the cap space but really the difference is 500,000. The savings are 8 million . They’ll have the space when they move a couple vets . It just seems like a win win win win for both teams . I’m a neutral fan and I don’t have a horse in the race but I think anyone who thinks Anderson is better than kuemper did not watch any of the bubble hockey . Not trying to piss any one off .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Overall. Factor in him only being owed 1million for next season and bobs your uncle. ;)
That’s the part you should be leveraging though . Paying cash is nothing to the leafs . They could spend to 120 million if they were allowed. If it cost them 4 million in cash to improve any position 5% they could without a sweat .

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
There is no way Andersen waives for Arizona.
I’m under the understanding that Matthews and Anderson are pretty tight . Is it possible that trading Anderson anywhere would result in Matthews being disgruntled. If that is indeed the case are we all just wasting our time on this thread ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
There is no way Andersen waives for Arizona.
I never even noticed his ten team no trade clause. If he doesn’t want to go anywhere he just names the ten teams that may want him . Arizona, Carolina,.. I bet an Arizona deal would have happened by now without his ntc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad