Seravalli: Kuemper on the block, Colorado, Seattle and Toronto interested

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
According to Dater, Coyotes asked for Newhook but were told no, but Timmins is part of the discussion.

And at that point Sakic needs to hang up the phone and look at other options...

I was fine with letting Grubauer walk but if that leads to Sakic making a horrible trade for Kuemper it clearly was a giant mistake.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Good luck on your Cup run next year with Francouz and Dubnyk haha

I mean two of the last three guys that have won a cup that aren't generational athletic beast goalie Vasilevsky were Binnington and Murray.
Two guys nobody had pencilled in as starting goalies on July 1st of the season they won their first Cup...

I like Kuemper but he is not exactly a guy I would want to go to war with either considering his injury history.

Having Grubauer walk once most of the realistic goalie options were off the table already means that Sakic made a mistake. Its now on him to not make it worse by making a horrible trade.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I can't see Sakic giving up Timmins for Kuemper, unless there was another nice piece coming back. I do think he will land him though. I'm actually not worried at all right now, in Sakic I trust. He will get a goalie and probably pull a deal or 2 to blindside everyone and fill the necessary holes on the team.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Not sure what’s worse, the fact you think Dubnyk is still signed or that you think Colorado will just sit on 12M of cap space without doing anything.
Many of the good ones have gone, but there's still some left. I can't remember all of them. But kuemper is one.... he would cost probably something like 4.6milj at least. Cause andersen got 4.5mil from carolina, for two more years. Even bernier got 4mil. Kuemper is better than these fools. Colorado must move fast though, or somebody else is being able to catch that sucka, hard. Make calls, talk, breath and talk more. You have to make a move soon.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Not sure what’s worse, the fact you think Dubnyk is still signed or that you think Colorado will just sit on 12M of cap space without doing anything.
I was implying that Sakic will have to sign Dubnyk or someone like that to run with Francouz…I’ve got my popcorn ready to go. It’s a race between Sakic and Holland to see which one really wants to win, and which one wants to waste another year of having two of the best players in the world in their primes…

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I hope Seattle acquires him. It cannot get anymore NHL than that.

THIS was Francis' master plan all along. He's cornered the market on goalies.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
I mean two of the last three guys that have won a cup that aren't generational athletic beast goalie Vasilevsky were Binnington and Murray.
Two guys nobody had pencilled in as starting goalies on July 1st of the season they won their first Cup...

I like Kuemper but he is not exactly a guy I would want to go to war with either considering his injury history.

Having Grubauer walk once most of the realistic goalie options were off the table already means that Sakic made a mistake. Its now on him to not make it worse by making a horrible trade.

I don't blame BA for asking about Newhook. It doesn't mean that was the demand or that Sakic even considered it. If I was a GM I would aim high too. Plus we don't know if BA offered Kuemper plus for a deal including Newhook.

I would be cautious about Kuemper too. When he's healthy, he's pretty awesome. The problem has been the injuries the past couple years. I saw a few proposals that included a pick conditional on the Avs success. Maybe it would make more sense to make games played a condition. That would provide some insurance.

I personally can't see the Coyotes getting much more than a late first or second and B prospect. Though with the prices of goalies today, who the hell knows.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
doesnt matter if you have cap space if theres no goalie available.....

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Any interest in Georgiev?
Sakic said he's got a few options on the table; wouldn't surprise me if Georgiev is one of the guys he's looking into. He'd fit his type (younger/less proven goalie brought in to start). I'd also guess he's looking at CBJ to see if they'd move on of their two keepers, along with Kuemper.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Because proven starters on reasonable contracts rarely ever get traded.

Its still a ridiculous ask from Arizona. If the Avs were considering moving Newhook for a goalie, they would be calling Anaheim for Gibson.
Newhook certainly would give them a nice centerpiece for Eichel and would allow them to keep Drysdale/Zegras and MacTavish...

@Art.Vandelay :

I just don't see how this can work out. Realistically Sakic should never get into a bidding war here. If Edmonton is willing to pay up for Kuemper (like the rumors are saying), they should get him.
The Avs can't risk trading 2 1sts for Kuemper and even if they offer a 1st (which IMO would be a mistake but possible), odds are Holland will beat them out due to Arizona gladly taking back Koskinen as part of the deal to extract extra value and them having a more valuable 1st.

I like Timmins way more than most. Would be gutted to see him traded and therefore wouldn't do it either because it would open a giant hole on the right side of our D.
I just don't see an enticing package for Arizona that Edmonton wouldn't beat that makes sense for the Avs.

We will see what happens but at that point I hope Kuemper to EDM gets done quickly so the Avs can move on to other (bad) options like Vanecek or (ugh) Georgiev.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Sounds reasonable. I doubt that Georgiev has what it takes to win a cup on the Avs but realistically no option is amazing for the Avs right now.

Paying a 2nd/3rd for Georgiev/Vanecek or a young goalie stuck behind someone else somewhere is probably the best the Avs can do right now. If it doesn't work out, there is always the deadline to try for an upgrade.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Come on Holland. All I want for Christmas is to not run Koskinen and Smith back. Literally get a goalie and the offseason is a decent success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad