Speculation: Kuemper Close to being Traded?

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
I think people are reasoning that the issue of money is long term for Arizona. They lose real cash in year one, $1.4M, but already gain $4.9M in year 2. Unless they chose to trade Nurse/Koskinen of course.

The move does save Arizona $2.65M in caphit, so that would probably also be a factor.

Just to be clear, I don't really think this will happen, but if it does I actually do see the money making sense for Arizona even if it would not be ideal year one.
J

Local reports are that the owner wants a 10mm payroll cut for next season. I can't see them taking back much salary in any trade.

Reactions: LaGu

Ledge And Dairy

Arizona it seems just wants to dump salary for players over 25

Not that surprising, I fully expected them to do a rebuild on the fly (especially with Janik looking like a legitimate top 6, top 9 center in a couple years). Arizona has a lot of useful assets they can sell, Hjalmarsson will probably get some buzz, along with their other pending UFA defenseman. OEL seems to be lowkey asking for a trade away from Tocchet. Kuemper is owed more money than Raanta this year (and next), plus he likely has more value around the league. I think the only 25+ guy they wouldn't be shopping is Lyubushkin.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d do that. Or a third for Raanta and then Carolina can figure out a separate deal to dump one of Reimer or Mrazek.
I think Reimer’s salary makes him ideal. Same cash amount as Adin Hill.

I’d be okay with Reimer and Hill working with Schwab if we get a 1st for Kuemper and a 2nd for Raanta.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don’t think any Coyotes fan cares if Lyubushkin is just left unsigned tbh.
I think he's much better than his reputation on the board. He gets trashed because he got paired together with Ness for a dozen or more games when everyone got hurt. And then for awhile he had to play top-four with Oesterle while Ness and Gross got games.
I don't even mind either of those guys filling in in the top four (I thought both looked good in stretches: Bush with OEL, Oesterle with Goose) when necessary, but they obviously can't handle that kind of workload as a pairing. It was a recipe for disaster.

Some of you guys are keen on trading every expiring D tomorrow for midround picks, so I'd expect he'd look pretty bad on a D corps without OEL, Demers. Hammer. and Goose to eat minutes...

But as a 6-7, he's more than adequate.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The only cap dump that makes it remotely logical for Arizona is Grabner and he's not really a dump.

Anyways Yotes just signed Hill to a 1-way deal. They definitely don't want a goalie coming back if they trade Kuemper or Raanta.

What about Stepan?

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Did you mean to quote me? you should hit the quote button next time so I get pinged

Lyubushkin is still young, will be cheap to resign and actually had a decent season. I would say he is a solid #4. Arizona should definitely try and hang on to him

Haha. He might be a #4 on a KHL team but he is a #6 at best on the Coyotes. I do like his style of play though. For some reason I feel like he is a player the Maple Leafs would like.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Haha. He might be a #4 on a KHL team but he is a #6 at best on the Coyotes. I do like his style of play though. For some reason I feel like he is a player the Maple Leafs would like.
Just about everybody, every year, on every team hates their 6 or 7 dman. It's pretty funny.

Bush is fine as a 6, imo. He should never be asked to be the best player on his pairing. If he is, the failure isn't with him. He's a limited player, but he plays well inside those limitations. Doesn't try to be something he isn't.

Ledge And Dairy

Ideally he is a #5/6 but he had a pretty solid season with splashes of top 4 potential. Regardless hes a cheap option that they should keep

Reactions: ArizonaCoyotes19

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
It’s been just about two days and still haven’t heard nothing on the Darcy Kuemper trade front.

Still kinda baffled as to why Arizona would want to trade their starting goalie in the prime of his career.

Kuemper has stellar numbers on a sweetheart deal for two more seasons.
I wouldn’t fully trust Raanta to take the starting reins full time knowing his injury history and knowing that he would be trucked with even more games then he could handle, that’s the whole reason Kuemper was acquired in the first place and Adin Hill isn’t the answer either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad