Speculation: Kuemper Close to being Traded?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He said “They’re looking for a first round pick. I’m told they got one. I’m not sure they got one in the mid-teens”

I don’t think that meant that it was Calgary. Only that it was a pick worse than the Oilers pick. Calgary at 19th does make sense. So does Colorado at 24th. It could theoretically be Ottawa with the Lightning pick or San Jose with the Tampa pick. Those two seem less likely to me.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
He said “They’re looking for a first round pick. I’m told they got one. I’m not sure they got one in the mid-teens”

I don’t think that meant that it was Calgary. Only that it was a pick worse than the Oilers pick. Calgary at 19th does make sense. So does Colorado at 24th. It could theoretically be Ottawa with the Lightning pick or San Jose with the Tampa pick. Those two seem less likely to me.
So both Ottawa and San Jose have Tampa’s first rounder?

Did he actually say that or is that a typo? Ottawa has the Islanders late pick.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
This actually cost ARI more money this year than it saves them. OEL has already been paid 4M of the 8M he is owed this year in signing bonuses. Him and Kuemper together add up to 7.5M of actual money still owed, Koskinen and Nurse add up to 8.9M

That is why I mentioned what I did at the bottom about cap dumps to make the money work. Did you not read the whole post?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No but maybe something around Reimer and Raanta.

#53 + Reimer for Raanta

I'd move a 2nd for Raanta but wouldn't deal any of the Canes top prospects.

Mid/late 1st is a hefty price to pay for Kuemper. But he's the best of the goalies available by trade and it only takes one suitor so I won't be surprised to see Arizona get one.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't think Yotes would be happy with a trade with Calgary. Last time I recall you guys were excited about getting a 1st or a 2nd rounder, you received a 3rd and conditional 5th for Stone. We gave you guys a 3rd (upgraded to 2nd) and a bunch of useless rights for Smith. It's not an attempt to insult the value of your pieces, just that Treliving isn't exactly the type of guy to give you anything. Add in Maloney and it's legit like bringing black mail to a knife fight.

The ask for Kuemper doesn't make sense to me from a Flames MO perspective. I'm almost more inclined to believe we'll end up walking away with something totally different and not in the spot light for ridiculously cheap after the dust settles.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not sure how reputable this guy is:

What could be the return?

He's not reputable at all but Bob Stauffer, who is reputable, said Arizona does have an offer in for Kuemper, a 1st round pick in the mid to late range, which is why they signed Hill. I'm assuming it is Calgary

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
#53 + Reimer for Raanta

I'd move a 2nd for Raanta but wouldn't deal any of the Canes top prospects.

Mid/late 1st is a hefty price to pay for Kuemper. But he's the best of the goalies available by trade and it only takes one suitor so I won't be surprised to see Arizona get one.

I’d do that. Or a third for Raanta and then Carolina can figure out a separate deal to dump one of Reimer or Mrazek.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don't think Yotes would be happy with a trade with Calgary. Last time I recall you guys were excited about getting a 1st or a 2nd rounder, you received a 3rd and conditional 5th for Stone. We gave you guys a 3rd (upgraded to 2nd) and a bunch of useless rights for Smith. It's not an attempt to insult the value of your pieces, just that Treliving isn't exactly the type of guy to give you anything. Add in Maloney and it's legit like bringing black mail to a knife fight.

The ask for Kuemper doesn't make sense to me from a Flames MO perspective. I'm almost more inclined to believe we'll end up walking away with something totally different and not in the spot light for ridiculously cheap after the dust settles.

Why does Calgary even want Kuemper? Talbot was good in the playoffs. Keep him and Rittich is a good 1b? It seems like Calgary is just jumping on this because Edmonton is interested. Treliving is like a cockroach (no offence intended)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He's not reputable at all but Bob Stauffer, who is reputable, said Arizona does have an offer in for Kuemper, a 1st round pick in the mid to late range, which is why they signed Hill. I'm assuming it is Calgary

I get where you're coming from, but from a Flames perspective, this doesn't make sense unless Lucic is attached to that 1st or there's more than Kuemper going towards the Flames for the first straight up. Treliving has crushed the Yotes in most of his trades and a 1st for Kuemper sounds like more than market price or higher even with a bidding war going on.

Calgary and Edmonton might be in the thick of it, but I wonder if there is another team involved that has put an offer on the table.

Why does Calgary even want Kuemper? Talbot was good in the playoffs. Keep him and Rittich is a good 1b? It seems like Calgary is just jumping on this because Edmonton is interested. Treliving is like a cockroach (no offence intended)

I don't disagree with you.

Treliving is in on everyone and has been an also ran in a ton of high profile trades (Stone, Hall etc.). I think him interested when the Oilers are looking at someone is pure coincidence.

Another thing is Treliving isn't afraid to deal interconference and likely ropes other GMs interconference in his ideas. He traded twice with Vancouver and tried to get Chia involved with the 2016 draft.

Last edited:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I get where you're coming from, but from a Flames perspective, this doesn't make sense unless Lucic is attached to that 1st or there's more than Kuemper going towards the Flames for the first straight up. Treliving has crushed the Yotes in most of his trades and a 1st for Kuemper sounds like more than market price or higher even with a bidding war going on.

Calgary and Edmonton might be in the thick of it, but I wonder if there is another team involved that has put an offer on the table.

I know thats why this is so weird. Edmonton are interested in OEL And Kuemper then all of a sudden Calgary just jumps in, according to Friedman. I feel like a team with a pick in the 20s has made an offer to Arizona

Ledge And Dairy

That is why I mentioned what I did at the bottom about cap dumps to make the money work. Did you not read the whole post?
The only cap dump that makes it remotely logical for Arizona is Grabner and he's not really a dump.

Anyways Yotes just signed Hill to a 1-way deal. They definitely don't want a goalie coming back if they trade Kuemper or Raanta.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Coyotes would have taken a flaming bag of dog shit for Mike Smith.

Reactions: _Del_

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The only cap dump that makes it remotely logical for Arizona is Grabner and he's not really a dump.

Anyways Yotes just signed Hill to a 1-way deal. They definitely don't want a goalie coming back if they trade Kuemper or Raanta.

Arizona it seems just wants to dump salary for players over 25

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I know thats why this is so weird. Edmonton are interested in OEL And Kuemper then all of a sudden Calgary just jumps in, according to Friedman. I feel like a team with a pick in the 20s has made an offer to Arizona

I think it's coincidence. Flames and Oilers historically had similar weaknesses so both GM being in on similar guys isn't unreasonable.

Both teams wouldn't mind a goal tending upgrade and probably stuck around for the other pitches such as OEL. Oilers likely more interested in OEL and Flames probably looking to pull someone to the side to ask about Hall.

Both Oilers and Flames have former ties in Tippett, Treliving and Maloney, so both teams probably got the first invitations for the discussion of a potential Arizona fire sale. Again, I think that's pure coincidence.

Coyotes would have taken a flaming bag of dog shit for Mike Smith.

Fair... and isn't that kinda what Treliving offered? (minus the fact the 3rd turned into a 2nd?)

I mean, he offered a pile of crap and then some of the crap upgraded to a deuce...

Ledge And Dairy

I think Friedman announced Calgary's interest in Kuemper first but that's semantics. Regardless I can't see either team logically moving this years first for a goalie. Edmonton really needs winger prospects and if they really want a goalie there is a decent chance Askarov is available at #14, if not you have Jarvis, Quinn, Mercer, and many other options. For Calgary they really need a legitimate center prospect for when Backlund starts to regress, at #19 at least 2 of Lapierre, Zary, Mercer, Bourque, or Holloway will be available. I just can't wrap my head around any team moving this year's first outside of Colorado at #24 for him

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think Friedman announced Calgary's interest in Kuemper first but that's semantics. Regardless I can't see either team logically moving this years first for a goalie. Edmonton really needs winger prospects and if they really want a goalie there is a decent chance Askarov is available at #14, if not you have Jarvis, Quinn, Mercer, and many other options. For Calgary they really need a legitimate center prospect for when Backlund starts to regress, at #19 at least 2 of Lapierre, Zary, Mercer, Bourque, or Holloway will be available. I just can't wrap my head around any team moving this year's first outside of Colorado at #24 for him

If this happens, I hope Edmonton moves the 2021 first round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad