Injury Report: Kruger anticipated to be out for four months from 12/18/15 (wrist)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Kruger is a useful player but he's not a guy you give a bunch of money to. If our scouting and player development is working properly, Kruger is a guy who is replaced internally and goes to pick up a big pay cheque elsewhere, not a guy we overpay ourselves.

I agree.

If Kruger forces management's hands by asking too much, then you let him move on and take your chances on Danault showing he can handle Krugers far tougher workload.

If he doesn't, then there's no reason to move him. You let Danault be the 3C that Q always wanted Shaw to be, but he was pretty much consistently mediocre at being, you let Kruger keep handling the tough defensive zone minutes. It's really win-win.

I'm just saying the notion that he's overrated is patently ridiculous.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
You know this how?

He has yet to approach Kruger's ZSO%Rel or QoC numbers. He's between 50-66% of the way there in zone starts, not even close in QoC on most nights. No forwards other than Ras, Mashinter, and Bickell (and Baun, though he's barely played) have seen lower QoC over the course of the season thus far.

There's a reason that the Toews line has seen a significant uptick in Dzone starts since Kruger went down.

This sounds like crossing your fingers and hoping that what he looks like under a less stressful workload is what he'll look like under the full workload.

It reminds me of people last season who were certain we could get rid of Crawford, because Darling had proven in his 25 games that he could handle the starters job. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Danault has more speed than Kruger, Danault has more offense than Kruger (thus less time in D zone right?) Danault has how many games under his belt and we've seen no glaring faults. Danault is still rehabbing from an injury while learning his craft at the NHL level.

Those things indicate he can replace Kruger.

Remember how Kruger looked in his first 10 NHL games? 1 point, minus 4

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I agree.

If Kruger forces management's hands by asking too much, then you let him move on and take your chances on Danault showing he can handle Krugers far tougher workload.

If he doesn't, then there's no reason to move him. You let Danault be the 3C that Q always wanted Shaw to be, but he was pretty much consistently mediocre at being, you let Kruger keep handling the tough defensive zone minutes. It's really win-win.

I'm just saying the notion that he's overrated is patently ridiculous.

Well, I guess it depends how someone is rating him.

Kruger plays an important role on the team (in my initial post, I described him as "useful" - but I think it's more than that) - however, provided that the Hawks are drafting/developing properly like i said, then a guy like Kruger should be replaceable (depending on his asking price).

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Danault has more speed than Kruger, Danault has more offense than Kruger (thus less time in D zone right?) Danault has how many games under his belt and we've seen no glaring faults. Danault is still rehabbing from an injury while learning his craft at the NHL level.

Those things indicate he can replace Kruger.

Remember how Kruger looked in his first 10 NHL games? 1 point, minus 4

All fair points, but I think his greater speed and scoring ability are what make him an ideal replacement for Shaw (who is always getting more expensive than his contribution warrants), than Kruger.

If Q wants him in the Ozone more because he has more offense to give, GREAT! That still leaves the team needing somebody to take the tough draws against top competition ?/Toews/Hossa could probably do it, but it would drag down their offense (putting aside their current struggles, I think we all agree the team runs better when they're dominating other teams in the offensive zone shift after shift).

Maybe Danault is neither Kruger nor Shaw. Maybe he's something in between. Like a pre-concussion problems Bolland. A checking center who doesn't quite get the murderous starts that Kruger has, but puts up more points as a result.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Bolland once was a much better Kruger, playing against top lines and shutting them down. We don't need some one to take strictly D zone starts..because as you can see, the team is fine without one.

Danault is not a Shaw replacement, nothing about him reminds me of Shaw.

Captain Everything

Jul 12, 2015
Was Marcus Kruger ever placed on LTIR? I can't find an official announcement of it—only that he was placed on IR.

If he's not already on LTIR, 1) can the Hawks make that designation retroactively, and 2) why wouldn't they have just placed him on LTIR right away?

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Was Marcus Kruger ever placed on LTIR? I can't find an official announcement of it—only that he was placed on IR.

If he's not already on LTIR, 1) can the Hawks make that designation retroactively, and 2) why wouldn't they have just placed him on LTIR right away?

No

1) yes
2) to bank the max cap allowance. U will see him on ltir near deadline when a trade is about to happen. We are "earning" his exemption.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
If we don't make a td move we won't do it then either. But that saves next year and bread man bonuses.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007

1) Yes

2) Because putting him on LTIR does nothing right now.

IN order to maximize LTIR, the team need to get to the cap and then use LTIR, Right now the Hawks can't do that until

a) The roster goes unlimited instead of 23 or 24 with an Kruger on IR
b) A trade is made where they go to the cap with the trade

Right now there is no use for LTIR since the Hawks can roster a 24 man team (23 + 1 IR) and still be under the cap

BTW, Teams cannot save LTIR space for later use which is another reason why it is not being used.

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
1) Yes

2) Because putting him on LTIR does nothing right now.

IN order to maximize LTIR, the team need to get to the cap and then use LTIR, Right now the Hawks can't do that until

a) The roster goes unlimited instead of 23 or 24 with an Kruger on IR
b) A trade is made where they go to the cap with the trade

Right now there is no use for LTIR since the Hawks can roster a 24 man team (23 + 1 IR) and still be under the cap

BTW, Teams cannot save LTIR space for later use which is another reason why it is not being used.

Wow, I bow down to your cap knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

As to Kruger, as long as he's ready for the playoffs, we're good to go.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Wow, I bow down to your cap knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

As to Kruger, as long as he's ready for the playoffs, we're good to go.

Is Kruger going to suddenly play better after a 4 week layoff after having a terrible season to date?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Is Kruger going to suddenly play better after a 4 week layoff after having a terrible season to date?

Who would you rather have commanding the 4th line? Ras or Kruger? Other than Toews, who would you want on a critical face off in our zone? If he's healthy, Kruger is an important role player for the playoffs.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Bolland once was a much better Kruger, playing against top lines and shutting them down. We don't need some one to take strictly D zone starts..because as you can see, the team is fine without one.

Danault is not a Shaw replacement, nothing about him reminds me of Shaw.
I think the idea behind the "Shaw replacement" has more to do with where Q was trying to play him at #3 center instead of at the wing where he is more effective.

I'd like to see Panik with TT & Danault to see if it can jumpstart the 3rd line offensively. Desi is a great 4th liner, but definitely limited offensively. If that works, you're only a #1 LW move from a solid top 9 top to bottom and great 4th line.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Oh I know Kruger will be in the lineup. I'm just concerned about how a recovering Kruger will be better than the healthy Kruger was?

I think he will because I think Kruger was gassed at the start of the season. He has taking a absolute beating over the past few years and the extra time should help him. I just pray he can get his timing and get back up to speed quickly.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
Let's remember the Keith injury as well when looking at the Kruger situation. Keith was looking like hot garbage before he took the time to get fixed up and has been his usual self for the most part since.

I'm guessing Krugers situation will LIKELY be similar to what we saw there. Hard to play effectively when you're not 100%, let's see what the rest does for him before assuming anything based off his start to the year. (See also: Toews and Hossa)

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Let's remember the Keith injury as well when looking at the Kruger situation. Keith was looking like hot garbage before he took the time to get fixed up and has been his usual self for the most part since.

I'm guessing Krugers situation will LIKELY be similar to what we saw there. Hard to play effectively when you're not 100%, let's see what the rest does for him before assuming anything based off his start to the year. (See also: Toews and Hossa)

Keith did not need rest, he had a knee surgically repaired.

Kruger did not play with the bad wrist, he went down right after.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
Keith did not need rest, he had a knee surgically repaired.

Kruger did not play with the bad wrist, he went down right after.

Is that the case? I honestly can't recall exactly, but I don't remember ever getting much in the way of details for Krugers injury.

I'm aware Keith had his knee repaired, so did Kruger with his wrist, correct? Perhaps I'm speculating, and feel free to point me in the right direction if that's the case, but could Kruger's have been similar in the sense of aggravating a nagging injury?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad