Player Discussion Krejci Signs 1 year $1 million, plus an additional $2 million in performance-based incentives

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
The thing is, I actually don't think Krejci's been playing all that well as yet, by his standards. As you said, his defense has been sketchy - he's found himself caught in no-mans-land in the D zone quite a bit - and offensively we've definitely seen him be sharper and put his outstanding vision and IQ to better use in the past. But such is his talent that even at 80% or whatever number you want to put on it, the guy can produce at over a PPG. Of course it helps immensely that he's usually with Pasta and Hall, but still, you can't see Haula or Coyle putting up quite the same stats in that position.

Of course, this can now go one of two ways. If his current level is all he's got left then that's ok but it's probably not going to quite cut it when the playoffs and better opponents roll around. But if it's only a beginning and there's more to come, then that's going to be proper exciting. I think given he had a full year away from the NHL, we can reasonably hope for option B, but we'll just have to wait and see. Still, even that possibility and just having him around again is very nice.
I mean at 37 now, and not playing in the NHL to stay sharp (grit and skill wise) for 1 year, he still is a better and cheap solution to 2C than Coyle, and I think he will get better mentally as the season goes on. And of course a veteran "second wind" in the playoffs where it matters most.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The thing is, I actually don't think Krejci's been playing all that well as yet, by his standards. As you said, his defense has been sketchy - he's found himself caught in no-mans-land in the D zone quite a bit - and offensively we've definitely seen him be sharper and put his outstanding vision and IQ to better use in the past. But such is his talent that even at 80% or whatever number you want to put on it, the guy can produce at over a PPG. Of course it helps immensely that he's usually with Pasta and Hall, but still, you can't see Haula or Coyle putting up quite the same stats in that position.

Of course, this can now go one of two ways. If his current level is all he's got left then that's ok but it's probably not going to quite cut it when the playoffs and better opponents roll around. But if it's only a beginning and there's more to come, then that's going to be proper exciting. I think given he had a full year away from the NHL, we can reasonably hope for option B, but we'll just have to wait and see. Still, even that possibility and just having him around again is very nice.

I've now seen 4 complete games this season and to my eyes Krejci's looks a slight step slower than when we last saw him in the NHL. The brain and hands are still present, but his skating isn't as strong as it once was.

I guess the good news is he doesn't have to be "the man" on his line anymore yet can still think the game at an elite level compliment two elite wingers in Hall and Pasta.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
last I heard about Krejci from Monty is they were going to get imaging results on Saturday. Has their been anything new out of the Bruins camp since then? Any word on the results?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I've now seen 4 complete games this season and to my eyes Krejci's looks a slight step slower than when we last saw him in the NHL. The brain and hands are still present, but his skating isn't as strong as it once was.

I guess the good news is he doesn't have to be "the man" on his line anymore yet can still think the game at an elite level compliment two elite wingers in Hall and Pasta.

Yes. Obviously, his game never relied on speed. He's always been a cerebral, crafty type who slows the play down. The Bruins and Don Sweeney got very, very lucky with his return. Then again, Sweeney and Neely fired Bruce Cassidy. It's possible #46 might have returned to play one last season with Patrice, with a chance to center #88 & #71.

Cassidy's exit likely sealed the deal.

Reactions: BMC and BruinDust

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
He’s been incredible. I was hoping for a slight upgrade from haula. Thought krejci might have lost a step, but not at all. He’s picked up right where he left off.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He is a little slower than when he last played here, but he will always have those elite hands and hockey IQ. And he is weaponizing that sneaky heavy shot of his to boot.

How about adding him to the playoff roster last year, I'd like to think they would have got past Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad