Boston Globe KPD unloads on Neely and Sweeney

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
And people think Cam is full of himself? Couldn't be a more pompous prick than Ray Bourque.

No thanks!
Curious and sorry for asking. I don't understand (even with google translation) the meaning of pompous prick ....

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Ultimately (and it's sad being fans) Sweeney and Neely are just doing what their Boss asks of them which we know and has been posted here countless times.

Reactions: BMC

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Jacobs making trades and signing free agents? Running the draft?

Sweeney is the problem
S*** flows downhill, starts with JJ demanding every penny be wrung out of this team, goes to the incompetence of Neely and Sweeney with drafting, signings and trades, that goes to a terrible, pacifist coach in Cassidy and finally all the crap lands directly on the fans who justify this team making the playoffs as having a good season.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
How don't get how Sweeney getting a new contract is even on the table. He should have been removed long ago
Hall for peanuts last year, Lindholm this year. . . two A+ moves as a GM in the last 14 months. Weathered the loss of Chara, Rask, and Krejci, all of which were largely out of his control. Kept the roster above 100pt season. Good drafts the last couple years and a few A+ pickups from undrafted free agents.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Feel like he could have been even more direct, but I suppose any shot at Neely/Sweeney is welcome given the soft treatment they’ve been given by the media here since 2011.

This is just such a questionable management group. Country club for the players, nobody ever gets moved or called out, GM takes 90% of the year off, President ignores the media. If they didn’t luck out getting to ride it out with Bergeron, Marchand, Rask, Krejci group, where would they be?
The beginning of this post stated that KPD article was harsh toward Sweeney and Neeley and then goes onto say KPD is the only media member that has access to the Jacobs family , does this mean he was told something and now like a typical Globe weasel finally grows a pair..................I am a little pissed off that that the players are being put into this as a " Country Club " atmosphere , I feel these although disappointing at times being the results have always had the right attitude and acted like pros ......

Reactions: Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree with you. And I also agree with you regarding all the narrative said around that game 7 ! My point was having Backes, a tempered guy, playing the Blues at home in a game 7 would have been an easy game decision for me.... might have not given more result but I like the idea of a team willingness to give more with that guy in the line up game 7 against his former team, and for ONE game given Backes the chance to make the difference. They were playing the BLUES. I would love to ask each and every guy in that locker room, what they thought about Backes not playing!
I agree , I would have liked to have seen Backes in game 7 , but I feel that the Bruins lost that series during the regular season when they were worn down by bigger, faster and stronger players ,that took its toll on the Bruins top players by the time they met the Blues they were ripe for the taking . This all falls on management .

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Organization just like the team should be headed for a rebuild.Now s the time especially with off season injury list.Team is stagnant with Neeley ,Sweeney and scouting dept.New blood, ideas definately needed.Team not built for the playoffs with all the SMURFS in the lineup!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Am I the only one who could give a flying f*** at what Dupont thinks?
I almost universally do not. To say KPD gets under my skin is an understatement. Like Shaunessy and Bud Collins -- 99% of the time cannot/could not abide them.

However, in this case he is not wrong. And if it brings about change then he's done some good.

If only he could get us a new owner. So tired of even contemplating that a fossilized (and I suspect pickled) Harry Sinden even can get through on the phone to anyone in the Bruins front office, let alone the owner.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bruins we're T-8th in avg height and T-4th in avg weight.
It is not just height and weight , but how you play the physical game Nick Ritchie through a hit and came off the player , some players like Luccic hit a player and goes through them , the Bruins have a lot of Nick Ritchie type players.......

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It is not just height and weight , but how you play the physical game Nick Ritchie through a hit and came off the player , some players like Luccic hit a player and goes through them , the Bruins have a lot of Nick Ritchie type players.......

right

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Yet still softer than butter in July in Alabama. Carlo is a giant and one of the softest players I have ever seen.
Carlo was never advertised as a physical dman. He’s a smooth skating defender who can get his stick in lanes and break up passes. Similar to a young Joe Thornton some fans assume because a player is big he will be a physical monster.

Physical players should be sprinkled in the bottom six. With a couple on the blue line. We’d accept Carlo as he is (minus the injuries) if this team had a McQuaid, Kevan Miller, Chara, Manson etc.

I hate to read fans crap on Carlo because he isn’t a young Chara. That’s not his game. Never was.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
under the current regime no shot of Bourque being part of anything.
Good, I'm sure Colorado would love to have him in some capacity.

Hall for peanuts last year, Lindholm this year. . . two A+ moves as a GM in the last 14 months. Weathered the loss of Chara, Rask, and Krejci, all of which were largely out of his control. Kept the roster above 100pt season. Good drafts the last couple years and a few A+ pickups from undrafted free agents.
Does Neely get any credit for that or just the garbage picks and signings?

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
I'm not hopeful that Sweeney or Neely are going anywhere. I see this as a bit of a rekindling of the Sinden era philosophy whereby as long as the building is full and concessions are flying, mission accomplished and all else is gravy.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Carlo was never advertised as a physical dman. He’s a smooth skating defender who can get his stick in lanes and break up passes. Similar to a young Joe Thornton some fans assume because a player is big he will be a physical monster.

Physical players should be sprinkled in the bottom six. With a couple on the blue line. We’d accept Carlo as he is (minus the injuries) if this team had a McQuaid, Kevan Miller, Chara, Manson etc.

I hate to read fans crap on Carlo because he isn’t a young Chara. That’s not his game. Never was.
please...

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I give Sweeney basically no credit for the Hall deal and only a little for Lindholm. Hall had Buffalo by the balls and Sweeney was just lucky that his preferred destination was Boston. That almost literally fell into his lap. Lindy, well good on Don for identifying a good target, but the price was steep - arguably acceptable but steep - and Sweeney did no more than outbid whoever else was interested. Good get, but nothing particularly clever and not a steal.

As for the other names you mentioned, who has replaced what Chara brought to this team in terms of his size, physical presence and experience? A little between Forbort and probably now Lindholm in their own ways, but that's precious little. And Sweeney got inexplicably blindsided by Krejci leaving and his solution was Haula and Coyle. Not good enough. Same goes for Krug - the offense he provided from the backend and on PPs has not been remotely replaced. Swayman and Ullmark for Rask was about as good as you could ask for, so I'll pay that.

I'm not one of those people who thinks Sweeney's been absolutely awful. He's made some good decisions, landed some good deals, signed some great contracts. But when you weigh the good against the bad the negative side of the scales is hanging significantly lower IMO, and I think he has no business being re-signed by the Bruins. He's had his fair opportunity and been found wanting.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I give Sweeney basically no credit for the Hall deal and only a little for Lindholm. Hall had Buffalo by the balls and Sweeney was just lucky that his preferred destination was Boston. That almost literally fell into his lap. Lindy, well good on Don for identifying a good target, but the price was steep - arguably acceptable but steep - and Sweeney did no more than outbid whoever else was interested. Good get, but nothing particularly clever and not a steal.

As for the other names you mentioned, who has replaced what Chara brought to this team in terms of his size, physical presence and experience? A little between Forbort and probably now Lindholm in their own ways, but that's precious little. And Sweeney got inexplicably blindsided by Krejci leaving and his solution was Haula and Coyle. Not good enough. Same goes for Krug - the offense he provided from the backend and on PPs has not been remotely replaced. Swayman and Ullmark for Rask was about as good as you could ask for, so I'll pay that.

I'm not one of those people who thinks Sweeney's been absolutely awful. He's made some good decisions, landed some good deals, signed some great contracts. But when you weigh the good against the bad the negative side of the scales is hanging significantly lower IMO, and I think he has no business being re-signed by the Bruins. He's had his fair opportunity and been found wanting.
Blaming Sweeney for not replacing Chara’s size might be the funniest criticism of him yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad