Rumor: Kovalchuk may return to the NHL

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
If Jagr isn't a Trotz player then Kovalchuck certainly isn't either.

Not all players age like Jagr. In fact quite the opposite.

In the article I read they listed 35 as the age he can return to the NHL and be a UFA. I'm not sure how the rules work but I believe there are a million hoops he has to go through if he wants to return before.
I think the 30 GM's just need to approve his return and then the devils retain the rights to sign him.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think the 30 GM's just need to approve his return and then the devils retain the rights to sign him.

OK thats what it was. Even that is a longshot as I can't see all 30 approving that.

Even then we couldn't sign him.

We'd have to wait until 2018 and so would he if he wants to be a UFA.

Besides he's clearly a mercenary anyhow. Signs huge deal with Devils and then flocks to KHL for more money dishonoring his contract and skrewing NJ. Now Russian economy and KHL on shaky ground so Kovalchuck wants to come back for a different payday.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
OK thats what it was. Even that is a longshot as I can't see all 30 approving that.

Even then we couldn't sign him.

We'd have to wait until 2018 and so would he if he wants to be a UFA.

Besides he's clearly a mercenary anyhow. Signs huge deal with Devils and then flocks to KHL for more money dishonoring his contract and skrewing NJ. Now Russian economy and KHL on shaky ground so Kovalchuck wants to come back for a different payday.

Actually his retirement helped the Devils quite a bit, as they were in a financial conundrum and without that things would have been rather more complicated for them.

Regardless, I see that four days off between games is simply too many for us.

Halpysback*

If Jagr was a Julien and a DeBoer player how the hell is he not a Trotz player when Marcus ****ing Johansson apparently is???

Halpysback*

Teams out of the playoffs trading their vets at the deadline can be a hard concept to comprehend for some.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Kovalchuk is only 31 right now...

Well he'll be 32 in a couple weeks.

If he is ideally looking to come back to the NHL for the '16-'17 season he would turn 34 during that season.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
This is all theory.

Would you take a chance on 35 years old Malkin, for example? I don't see how Kovy is some different type.

Halpysback*

Datsyuk isn't generational either. I guess we wouldn't want him.

Man Radulov would be great to have on the top line. Potentially the best skilled net presence in the world with 8 and 19 :scared:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Kovy is slightly worse in PPG, substantially better in GPG for his career. I think they are almost in same class.

Not much wingers better than Kovy.

Malkin has 2 art ross trophies, a Hart and a Conn Smythe.

Also...why do we need another high priced winger (which Kovalchuk is clearly in it for the cash) when we have needs at center and historically SC winners are built down the middle??

You love Kovalchuk. I get it. But suggesting he's in the same class, or even close to it, as Malkin is absurd IMO.

A 35 year old Kovlachuk is a way way far ways off anyhow so there is no need to even discuss this right now unless you are expecting everyone to approve his return and Lou to just hand over his rights to the Caps and the Caps having enough salary cap space to afford another high ticket winger.

This in no way makes sense to me at least.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kovalchuk and cash? Doubt it. He wont have more cash in NHL. I think he wants to win something or won't come at all. I bet he's good in SKA from comfort and money standpoint.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Kovy is slightly worse in PPG, substantially better in GPG for his career. I think they are almost in same class.

Not much wingers better than Kovy.
Once he left Atlanta he played absurd minutes for a forward and was a great 2 way player who played in all situations too.

Halpysback*

I don't think Kovalchuk ever cared about money that much in all honesty

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
He didn't care much about money itself, but he had that 'I deserve to be paid' attitude. Not sure if that positive or negative, though. Maybe both...

In a way he is exact opposite of Jagr... humble mercenary vs. arrogant team player :laugh:

Oh and also this
During a game against the Nashville Predators on January 11, 2006, Predators coach Barry Trotz accused Kovalchuk with "always [playing] with an illegal stick." Trotz had asked the referees to check Kovalchuk's stick following a Thrashers goal, but claimed that Kovalchuk was able to switch his stick before the referees could check.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores106/106011/NHL17722.htm

Last edited:

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
kovy

it was all about him when he left and that is what he wanted. I say let him rot in the sinking ship called the KHL.

Halpysback*

It was at least as much about the Devils as about him. That contract may have been passable before the lockout but after the recap provision was put in the new CBA it turned into the biggest poison pill in the NHL. For comparison, the Ehrhoff contract with the Sabres was 40% as much and they were still forced to buy him out. And the Devils would be broke as **** paying him 13 million with a cap hit of 6.7. Everyone knows that.

Either Lou masterminded the whole thing or Kovalchuk saved Lou from himself.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kovalchuck is a good player. That's for sure. He's from another universe comparing to our leaderz of men, dancing women and IR legion.

If he is available as UFA, I would look into it 100%. I doubt he will want more than what we can afford to pay Green.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
He won't be available as UFA, Caps would need to trade for him (I don't know what...) 2nd rounder?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad