Rumor: Kovalchuk may return to the NHL

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...turn-in-2016-17-season--report-144816069.html

What’s the future hold for him? A source close to the situation tells Finland’s Iltalehti that Kovalchuk has had discussions with SKA management about returning to the NHL for the 2016-17 season, with one more year on his deal.

The story details some of the KHL’s financial issues that could impact Kovalchuk’s decision, as the collapse of the Ruble has affected the economic stability of several of the League’s teams. But the fact is that a return to the NHL in 2016 has been strongly hinted at before, from no less an authority than Kovalchuk’s own sister.

This is all well and good, save for one wrinkle: Kovalchuk can’t just waltz back into the NHL as an unrestricted free agent.

Since he filed voluntary retirement papers, he would require approval from all 30 NHL teams to get back into the League or else he would need to sit out of hockey for a full season and then get the Devils’ permission to return.

If he waited until he turned 35 in the 2018-19 season, he could return without any approval.

Provided his back holds up, Kovalchuk is a still a game-changing offensive talent. But desire to return to the NHL is one thing; the actual mechanics of that return are more complicated.

Innnnnnteresting....:sarcasm:

Acquizitor*

lol, declining price of oil does miracles I see.

Sup Kovy, cant get as much for russki rubles these days and crawling back ?

The entire KHL is in trouble these days, sponsors are experiencing financial problems, and this is a direct fallout.

Acquizitor*

But but but....I thought Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, and Orlov were just waiting to move back home?:sarcasm:

I don't see OV going back home after his career. This year has shown us a very different OV, an integrated OV, he is becoming more and more American.

Also the Russian economic malaise has only begun, theres much more of that ahead.

Im a russian myself, and the so called russian soul has no secrets for me. I do see Malkin going back though. I think and Im almost certain that OV will follow Bryz's example and will stay in the US, maybe not in Wsh though.

Acquizitor*

To be fair, I don't know if anyone could have predicted the extent to which Putin has driven Russia into the ground.

This is not an entirely correct statement. Putin used the so called commodity super cycle to create an economy based on a bubble. The bubble burst last fall and so has the entire economy including the KHL. Most KHL sponsors are oligarchs who are being forced to use some of their profits to finance the league.

Russia has improved greatly under Putin, but not thanks to his genius, more like thanks to luck with the oil going from $9-15 in the 90's to up to $148 under Putin.

Halpysback*

But but but....I thought Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, and Orlov were just waiting to move back home?:sarcasm:

Kuznetsov said he's gonna play for like 10 years before going home, Ovechkin will probably play until 40 then go... so we should have 10 years from each before it happens either way. Orlov who knows, he strikes me as the most homesick of the three.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Requires that he takes year off. After that, i'd have very little interest in him.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Requires that he takes year off. After that, i'd have very little interest in him.

right now our second best winger is...Brouwer? what in holy hell are you talking about. Unless he's asking for too much money we should defiantly consider him and If playing with other Russians and playing for a competitive team is his priority (im optimistic) than it seems like a no brainer.

not to mention OV will be 31 in 2 years, so when do we make a move.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
When was the last time the Caps brought in a Russian they didn't draft? Feds?

It's probably time to stop assuming the Caps are interested in every potentially available Russian.

Halpysback*

Why, because he'd be rested and healed up?

Crosby taking a year off of hockey sure destroyed him

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When was the last time the Caps brought in a Russian they didn't draft? Feds?

It's probably time to stop assuming the Caps are interested in every potentially available Russian.

This is an unprecedented situation, if it's not just talk.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I never had an impression that Kvy was gone from the NHL for good and he was very non-commital in his interviews. No surprise whatsoever, and I don't think economy is much of a factor here -- he still makes more than what he would in the NHL, especially if you consider that there are like 20 less games in a KHL season (more travel though).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
On the topic, Kovalchuk is no healthier player than Semin (back vs wrist). I'd think if they wanted finesse non physical offensive player they would make a move this upcoming summer. So we will see. Waiting for 2016 hardly helps.

Although getting old Kovy cheap to make Cup push is interesting. You know, somebody have to be in Brouwer spot after next season, and we need right handed sniper there. Kovy is kinda like that type of player.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
On the topic, Kovalchuk is no healthier player than Semin (back vs wrist). I'd think if they wanted finesse non physical offensive player they would make a move this upcoming summer. So we will see. Waiting for 2016 hardly helps.

Although getting old Kovy cheap to make Cup push is interesting. You know, somebody have to be in Brouwer spot after next season, and we need right handed sniper there. Kovy is kinda like that type of player.

We don't need old Kovalchuk.

I'd much rather have full time young Burakovsky there. I would hope next year that Kuz, Bura and Wilson are all in the top 6 where they belong.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We don't need old Kovalchuk.

I'd much rather have full time young Burakovsky there. I would hope next year that Kuz, Bura and Wilson are all in the top 6 where they belong.

Ilya Kovalchuck >>>> Burakovsky

That's kinda fact. So we can talk about him on the cheap :)

PS: Was there a need for "old Orpik"? I guess everybody is on board with Orpik already. Why wouldn't Kovy be the same?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ilya Kovalchuck >>>> Burakovsky

That's kinda fact. So we can talk about him on the cheap :)

PS: Was there a need for "old Orpik"? I guess everybody is on board with Orpik already. Why wouldn't Kovy be the same?

Kovalchuck will be 35 or so when he can come back. For a forward (especially a goal scoring type) they are on sharp decline at that point. Dmen tend to have more longevity.

Burakovsky will be younger, faster, hungrier and improving. A 21 YO Bura may indeed be >>>> 35+ year old Kovalchuk

Father Time my man.....Father Time...

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kovalchuck will be 35 or so when he can come back. For a forward (especially a goal scoring type) they are on sharp decline at that point. Dmen tend to have more longevity.

Burakovsky will be younger, faster, hungrier and improving. A 21 YO Bura may indeed be >>>> 35+ year old Kovalchuk

I'd bet 40 year old Kovy on a line with Beagle is still better than Brouwer. We are talking about the player who skates better than Ovi and who got the same shot (or maybe even better).

We had a lengthy discussion about bringing back Jagr and many said he's the best option at 1RW. I think Kovy would be OK too.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Kovalchuk is only 31 right now...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'd bet 40 year old Kovy on a line with Beagle is still better than Brouwer. We are talking about the player who skates better than Ovi and who got the same shot (or maybe even better).

We had a lengthy discussion about bringing back Jagr and many said he's the best option at 1RW. I think Kovy would be OK too.

If Jagr isn't a Trotz player then Kovalchuck certainly isn't either.

Not all players age like Jagr. In fact quite the opposite.

Kovalchuk is only 31 right now...

In the article I read they listed 35 as the age he can return to the NHL and be a UFA. I'm not sure how the rules work but I believe there are a million hoops he has to go through if he wants to return before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad