Value of: Kovalchuk as a sign-and-trade

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
SJ's run is over IMO I don't think Kovy fits there

I wouldn't say it's over. Too many injuries, especially the year after a long run and the WCOH with an older core. Thornton was playing with a torn acl and mcl, hertl with a broken foot, Donskoi with a separated shoulder, Marleau with a broken hand, Coutures whole mouth broken. 5 of our top 6 forwards had significant injuries.

Saying a team one year removed from a SCF appearance that's better on paper is pretty foolish IMO.

Kovy and Jumbo would be absolutely dominant.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Here's an idea. Jersey lets him come back to the NHL, and Vegas gives Jersey a 2nd rounder or two if they leave him exposed.

I don't know if that's enough incentive for NJ, but even an over the hill Kovy would fill a huge void the Knights are going to have.

Get Kovy, get Radulov through UFA, and with that defense and goalies they will have, I would project a playoff team that could do some damage and win a round or two.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't say it's over. Too many injuries, especially the year after a long run and the WCOH with an older core. Thornton was playing with a torn acl and mcl, hertl with a broken foot, Donskoi with a separated shoulder, Marleau with a broken hand, Coutures whole mouth broken. 5 of our top 6 forwards had significant injuries.

Saying a team one year removed from a SCF appearance that's better on paper is pretty foolish IMO.

it's not foolish not when Joe is going to be 38, Marleau is going to be 38 Burns is 32, Pavs is going to be 33 in july

the core is old it needs to been revamped

the good news is guys like Hansen and Valasic and Ward will fetch good prices at next years deadline so that will help restock the cupboard

but for now it's over a rebuild is needed and it's coming

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
it's not foolish not when Joe is going to be 38, Marleau is going to be 38 Burns is 32, Pavs is going to be 33 in july

the core is old it needs to been revamped

the good news is guys like Hansen and Valasic and Ward will fetch good prices at next years deadline so that will help restock the cupboard

but for now it's over a rebuild is needed and it's coming

I remember hearing the same thing after they missed the playoffs two years ago.

Jumbo still had over 50 points, Patty almost cracked 30 goals, Burns has back to back Norris nominations and 75+ point seasons, Pavelski has more goals than anyone besides ovi the past few years. Yea, they all suck now and need to go :rolleyes:

With kovy they'd easily be a 100 point team. They just need another scorer, not a rebuild.

This is a proposal thread for kovy though, not another "the sharks are done and need a rebuild" thread for the umpteenth time.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Here's an idea. Jersey lets him come back to the NHL, and Vegas gives Jersey a 2nd rounder or two if they leave him exposed.

I don't know if that's enough incentive for NJ, but even an over the hill Kovy would fill a huge void the Knights are going to have.

Get Kovy, get Radulov through UFA, and with that defense and goalies they will have, I would project a playoff team that could do some damage and win a round or two.

I don’t think the Devils are really worried about who they are going to lose in the expansion draft, as it won’t really be a good player. There’s no rush to sign Kovy this summer so the Devils will just wait until after the expansion draft so they (or a team he is traded to) don’t have to worry about protecting him.

If Vegas wants to trade for him, it would just be a regular trade after the draft…dangling the incentive of not losing another player in the expansion draft doesn’t mean much to the Devils anyway. Given some of our “depthâ€, Vegas may be doing us a favor in the expansion draft.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I do feel like the Sharks are a good fit due to the age of their current core. They won't be good forever. What would San Jose be willing to give up

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
The age of their core is why they aren't a good fit, their run is over they need a rebuild

They could squeak 1 or 2 more years out of their aging players if Kovy comes in to help them out. He could do wonders for their scoring and still have 2 top 10 defenseman on their team as well. As long as they have Burns, Vlasic, Pavelski, Thornton, and Marleau, they are not rebuilding

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It depends entirely on what he signs for. At his age, short term is better than long term, and obviously lesser salary is better than higher salary. Kovalchuk at 7 million per for 4 years has negative value. Kovalchuk at 3 million for 2 years probably has a lot of value.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

It's actually not a bad idea for the Knights to be interested. They need star power to sell some tickets and build a fanbase. They won't be able to survive purely on the tourist dollar.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They could squeak 1 or 2 more years out of their aging players if Kovy comes in to help them out. He could do wonders for their scoring and still have 2 top 10 defenseman on their team as well. As long as they have Burns, Vlasic, Pavelski, Thornton, and Marleau, they are not rebuilding

I don't know Thornton will be 38, Marleau 38 Burns will be 33 by the end of next season, Pavs will be 33 in july

Hansen will be 32 by the end of next season, ward s 35

they are an old team I think their time is up

I think he'd be a better fit on a team either with a young talented core, like Toronto, Edmonton or Calgary

I mean he'd look great on Matthews wing with Nylander on the other side,

or playing with Mcdavid and Driasatial

or in Calgary with Monahan on Goodreau

or if he wants to go to a more vet laden team

the Pens with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel Hornquivst and Letang

or the Hawks could be fits

he'd be great fits on all those teams but I think SJ is to old and I think they need to restock the cupboards

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It's actually not a bad idea for the Knights to be interested. They need star power to sell some tickets and build a fanbase. They won't be able to survive purely on the tourist dollar.

Do you think Kovy comes over to sign with an expansion team (no offense Vegas)? The Devs are probably just a hair better than the team picked (LV will have better D!) and I don't think kovy wants to play in Jersey. I think that needs to be rethought.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Boedker and a 2nd seems like decent value if San Jose wants to be front runners, unless I'm under rating Boedker.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
What kind of money and terms are we talking about here ?

From a Montreal standpoint, I would've been open to consider bringing him in. But now that both Bergevin and Julien confirmed that Galchenyuk will at the very least begin the season on the wing, can't really see it happen.

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
Kovalchuk and Shipachyov to the Habs ....

Shero can ask for the moon, he will only get a Beaulieu + 2nd ... there is no «super leverage power» ... Unless the contract is a cheap offer and cap wise for every team, the leverage is on the 30 other teams ....

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Shero can ask for the moon, he will only get a Beaulieu + 2nd ... there is no «super leverage power» ... Unless the contract is a cheap offer and cap wise for every team, the leverage is on the 30 other teams ....

Shero can say no, end of story for kovy. That's more leverage than "we will only pay x" from other teams

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

or Shero either keeps him in NJ or tells Kovy to go scratch?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
or Shero either keeps him in NJ or tells Kovy to go scratch?

And Kovy would have to wait another year to come over.
He will be 35 so the contract is different, and coming off such a great year in the K may not happen this year.

Think of it as a contract year for him, strike while the iron is hot!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
A thought that occurred to me: I wonder if NJ can sign Kovy before July 1st?

Usually contracts have to be signed for the current season, with a few exceptions. But Kovy doesn't appear to obviously fit into one of those exception categories.

- Extension? Nope, not under contract.
- Draft-related UFA? Nope.
- Draft-rights player? Nope.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
NJ has all the leverage over Kovy. I think if they can sign him for 4 mil for short term teams will be very interested. Kovy wants to come back so $ is not going to be the main issue.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ

We have missed the playoffs five seasons in a row since 2012, it's not out of the question to say San Jose is done.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
A thought that occurred to me: I wonder if NJ can sign Kovy before July 1st?

Usually contracts have to be signed for the current season, with a few exceptions. But Kovy doesn't appear to obviously fit into one of those exception categories.

- Extension? Nope, not under contract.
- Draft-related UFA? Nope.
- Draft-rights player? Nope.

plenty of teams are already signing overseas players for contracts for next year

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
plenty of teams are already signing overseas players for contracts for next year

Yes, because those players fall under one of the exceptions I listed. Kovy doesn't fall into any exceptions listed in the CBA.
(d) No Club or Player may enter into an SPC that does not cover at least the then current League Year. The foregoing does not apply to an SPC entered into pursuant to Section 50.5(f) above, or to Unsigned Draft Choices or Draft Related Unrestricted Free Agents, who shall be permitted to sign an SPC during the period from March 1 through June 1 immediately preceding the League Year in which such SPC is to take effect.

- Section 50.5(f) is for Contract Extensions.
- He's not an Unsigned Draft Choice
- Most of the European players being signed now fall under the Draft Related UFA category.

As an additional note, NJ can't sign Kovy for 2016-17 as their Playing Season is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad