Value of: Kovalchuk as a sign-and-trade

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
He should go back to his original franchise (now the Winnipeg Jets) so he can play is the top 6 with Scheifele, Laine, Wheeler, Little, and Ehlers.

But he won't.

So Jets offer nothing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leivo+ prospect I see Lou interested but I do wonder about Kovy's value because he's been gone a while no one knows what he has left

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leivo+ prospect I see Lou interested but I do wonder about Kovy's value because he's been gone a while no one knows what he has left

Just because Lou had interest before doesn't mean he has any now. He's in a completely different environment. A completely different world and agenda.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just because Lou had interest before doesn't mean he has any now. He's in a completely different environment. A completely different world and agenda.

Doesn't mean he doesn't have interest either. Look Hyman was on the top line this year that CAN NOT happen again

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
2017 1st
Troy Brouwer
Morgan Klimchuk
conditional 2018 2nd (if Calgary advances to 2nd round in 2018 playoffs)

for Kovalchuk @2 yrs, 12 mil?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
2017 1st
Troy Brouwer
Morgan Klimchuk
conditional 2018 2nd (if Calgary advances to 2nd round in 2018 playoffs)

for Kovalchuk @2 yrs, 12 mil?

Sold!

I'd take this and run if I were Shero. We'd get another pick in the 1st round, a asset we can flip in a year or two, a prospect and a conditional 2018 pick in a very strong draft... all that for a guy who isn't even on our current roster ATM.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Klimchuk is 22 and not even putting up really good numbers in the ahl.
That first in a week draft isn't much either. A secondnext year. I am sure we can do quite a bit better than that.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016

You can see some of his latest KHL highlights on youtube. The guy can still play. And he's still got that Kovy brashness.

Last edited:

TeamWithADream*

Apr 24, 2017
Klimchuk is 22 and not even putting up really good numbers in the ahl.
That first in a week draft isn't much either. A secondnext year. I am sure we can do quite a bit better than that.

I think it all comes down to what Kovalchuk will agree to in terms of pay. If he wants a crazy contact like the one he had when he left, that will lessen the amount of teams pursuing him. If I were a real GM, theres no way I'd pay Kovalchuk 8 to 10 mil on a 4+ year deal. He left 12 years and 77 mil on the table when he went back to Russia. Pretty sure he's gonna want to make most of that money back excluding the years he spent abroad. Why would he sign with someone for 3 years 6M when he's been lighting up the KHL? I think he's either going to take a 1 year deal to prove himself or he's going to cash in on a 4 or 5 year deal for bigger money than 6M. Theres just no reason for him to take a 3 year 5-6M deal other than it would help your team. Unless Kovalchuk tucks his junk and swallows his pride he's not going to give in and take less.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Doesn't mean he doesn't have interest either. Look Hyman was on the top line this year that CAN NOT happen again

Lou doesn't make the lines, Babcock does. He could have Matthews with Hyman/Kovalchuk.
I just don't think Kovy fits the narrative moving forward.
Leafs will look at moving Kappy/Rychel/Johnsson etc. into the lineup.

Antbox530

Feb 2, 2016
I'd give up Justin Braun(can be flipped for a late first) + a B/C level prospect like Barclay Goodrow (already NHL bottom 6 quality) or Mirco Mueller + 2nd and a late round pick if necessary. All this depending on if SJ resigns Thornton and Marleau or if they're starting a quick rebuild.

SJ really needs a top 6 winger. Braun is a great shutdown D Man, but SJ has some young D men that look more than ready for an NHL chance.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
From the Flames I would kind of want a 1st + Fox instead of Klimchuk if we would have to take Brouwer back, but I am not sure how that would work for Flames fans

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
How's this...

Kane-Eichel-Kovalchuk
Foligno-O'Reilly-Okposo
Moulson-Ennis-Nylander

That's a playoff top 9 if healthy. Better than Senators and Bruins for sure.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lou doesn't make the lines, Babcock does. He could have Matthews with Hyman/Kovalchuk.
I just don't think Kovy fits the narrative moving forward.
Leafs will look at moving Kappy/Rychel/Johnsson etc. into the lineup.

see that is the thing, a couple of those guys be it Rychel or Kapenan or Johnson Or Bracco or Brooks or Leivo etc, have to go

we have to many young wingers so a couple of them need to go

so if Lou is interested in Kovalchuk I could see a couple of your younger wingers going because there are just to damn many

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd give up Justin Braun(can be flipped for a late first) + a B/C level prospect like Barclay Goodrow (already NHL bottom 6 quality) or Mirco Mueller + 2nd and a late round pick if necessary. All this depending on if SJ resigns Thornton and Marleau or if they're starting a quick rebuild.

SJ really needs a top 6 winger. Braun is a great shutdown D Man, but SJ has some young D men that look more than ready for an NHL chance.

SJ's run is over IMO I don't think Kovy fits there

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How's this...

Kane-Eichel-Kovalchuk
Foligno-O'Reilly-Okposo
Moulson-Ennis-Nylander

That's a playoff top 9 if healthy. Better than Senators and Bruins for sure.

but the blue line is still brutal, Lehner is still a ? and they still have no GM or coach

things are up in the air in Buffalo

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
From the Flames I would kind of want a 1st + Fox instead of Klimchuk if we would have to take Brouwer back, but I am not sure how that would work for Flames fans

Depends on the contract he signs. If it's a reasonable contract (6milx5years or something) I don't see why the Flames don't do this. At that price, I could almost see a borderline bidding war for him.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Kovalchuk would be a great fit on the Bruins.

Kovalchuk - Krejci - Backes would take a lot of pressure off the 1st line and give the kids a couple years to mature on the 3rd and 4th.
If true he wants back - hopefully Sweeney looks into it as getting Krejci a proper lw has been a difficulty the past couple seasons and his age would most likely fit really well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad