Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock (Thanks for the help)

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Shot out and stealing this idea that was never followed through by Candy Canes. Thought it would be interesting to try it again as I liked the idea originally. Also a chance to change history if you voted in the last go round. Skipping the first two picks (obvious choices).

Currently on the clock: Carolina (Your pick will be made on 5/23/15)

Rules:

I will be making posts on teams main forums, so look out for yours when your team is up to pick! When the team is up to pick, the fans of that team will post their player they want drafted with that pick. After about 24 hours at 8:00 AM (Pacific) the player that was said the most on the forum will be the team's selection! If a tie breaker happens to be needed I will give that team extra time until the next vote is cast.

-You as a voter, can only vote once.
-You can only select one player.
-Of course like a real draft, once a player is selected they can not be drafted again.
-Please make your pick clear and separate your commentary where possible.
-Thanks for participating.

1-EDMONTON=Connor McDavid
2-BUFFALO=Jack Eichel
3-ARIZONA=Dylan Strome
4-TORONTO=Noah Hanifin
5-CAROLINA=Mitch Marner
6-NEW JERSEY
7-PHILLY
8-COLUMBUS
9-SAN JOSE
10-COLORADO
11-FLORIDA
12-DALLAS
13-LA
14-BOSTON
15-CALGARY
16-EDMONTON
17-WINNIPEG
18-OTTAWA
19-DETROIT
20-MINNESOTA
21-BUFFALO
22-WASHINGTON
23-VANCOUVER
24-TORONTO
25-WINNIPEG
26-MONTREAL
27-ARIZONA
28-PHILLY
29-ANAHEIM
30-TAMPA BAY

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Hey look at that, there was one of these posted a month ago. Looks like Marner is the consensus pick.

Has anything changed or would that still be the case in this scenario?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
So many things have happened since the last one, I think we should re-poll.

I am following CandyCanes model. I'll count the tallies at the end of the time period. Trying to keep it simple and staying away from having to create polls each time.

Participation would be most welcome.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
yeah Marner would still be the likely pick here, though there's a lot that would probably prefer to trade down 2-3 slots if possible.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
yeah Marner would still be the likely pick here, though there's a lot that would probably prefer to trade down 2-3 slots if possible.

Screw that. Marner's upside is more than worth the gamble. Pat Kane is listed as the comparable upside, and he was pretty dang slim when drafted too. Anyone care to wager on how much better this team would be with Pat Kane on it?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Screw that. Marner's upside is more than worth the gamble. Pat Kane is listed as the comparable upside, and he was pretty dang slim when drafted too. Anyone care to wager on how much better this team would be with Pat Kane on it?

I'm with you, just saying that opinion is becoming more popular.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't draft Hanifin but there's a clear top 5 in this draft so it would make the most sense to draft Marner in this case.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Without a number to indicate the likelihood of hitting "the upside," what exactly does it mean? Is there a 1% chance he's Kane 2.0? 5%? 10%? 50%? .01%?

If it's just some ambiguous phrase, what do you do with it in terms of analysis?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
ffs, 5'10", 162 lbs patrick kane had 21//51//72 as an 18 year old rookie and played all 82 games.

i am hoping for hanifin obviously, but if he is gone and marner is there at 5 and we don't take him, i will find a new team to cheer for.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I don't care who we pick (within reason), because it will be the player that Francis believes will be the best player long-term for the Canes. It's not "obvious" who will turn out best, despite what many here say.

I just think it's funny that someone (OP) thought we needed a new vote. We've already done this and nothing has changed since then.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Having never seen Marner, I would be very surprised if he turned into Kane. Kane is a very special player. Of course it'd be nice to grab Kane 2.0 at #5. So, given the choice of trading back or staying and choosing one, I'd trade back. But if I had to choose someone, I'd take Marner

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Having never seen Marner, I would be very surprised if he turned into Kane. Kane is a very special player. Of course it'd be nice to grab Kane 2.0 at #5. So, given the choice of trading back or staying and choosing one, I'd trade back. But if I had to choose someone, I'd take Marner

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I don't care who we pick (within reason), because it will be the player that Francis believes will be the best player long-term for the Canes. It's not "obvious" who will turn out best, despite what many here say.

... snip snip

I'm with you. While there are guys I'd probably prefer (Hanifin), the team is going to end up with a solid prospect regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad