Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock (Thanks for the help)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Marner is a good pick here, but not because of any Kane comparison. He compares stylistically more to nugent-Hopkins than Kane. I don't think he has near the same upside but he's a good prospect. I think both he and Crouse will likely not hit their ceilings. I choose Provorov or drop down and get Rantanen. I think both are more likely to be the player they could be, and both are very good players.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I don't care who we pick (within reason), because it will be the player that Francis believes will be the best player long-term for the Canes. It's not "obvious" who will turn out best, despite what many here say.

I just think it's funny that someone (OP) thought we needed a new vote. We've already done this and nothing has changed since then.

I thought you wanted a re-poll.

The last poll was pretty clear. Marner seems to be the favorite, even asked if it was worth it.

I picked this idea up because CandyCanes made it to 14 before having to stop. I'd like to see it done before the draft just as a comparison. Likely wont look anything like the draft in the end anyway.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I thought you wanted a re-poll.

The last poll was pretty clear. Marner seems to be the favorite, even asked if it was worth it.

I picked this idea up because CandyCanes made it to 14 before having to stop. I'd like to see it done before the draft just as a comparison. Likely wont look anything like the draft in the end anyway.

I guess you didn't catch the sarcasm.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Slightly OT, but: What's the word on Tolchinsky? I'd be a bit worried if our forward corps included Skinner, Gerbe, Tolchinsky, and Marner. Having one small player (or players that play small) on a team isn't an issue, but I have to imagine having a good portion of them might be.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I'll give him a pass. It might be second nature to our board but to most I can see where the confusion comes in. :laugh:

I thought the "so much has changed since the last poll" would have given it away. Literally nothing had changed. No one is even playing.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Slightly OT, but: What's the word on Tolchinsky? I'd be a bit worried if our forward corps included Skinner, Gerbe, Tolchinsky, and Marner. Having one small player (or players that play small) on a team isn't an issue, but I have to imagine having a good portion of them might be.

having tolchinsky and gerbe in our system is a terrible reason not to take mitch marner

that would be like if we passed on skinner because we already had boychuk, dalpe, and bowman and skilled wingers weren't a need.

Last edited:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Marner is a good pick here, but not because of any Kane comparison. He compares stylistically more to nugent-Hopkins than Kane. I don't think he has near the same upside but he's a good prospect. I think both he and Crouse will likely not hit their ceilings. I choose Provorov or drop down and get Rantanen. I think both are more likely to be the player they could be, and both are very good players.

he literally says he models his game after Kane.

He's much more flashy than RNH and not quite as positionally sound as Nuge. That's why Nuge was seen as a lock to be a center in the NHL and there's a lot of question about if Marner will be a winger or a center. Just like there was with Kane.

The blowback against the Kane comparison with Marner is astounding and hilarious to me. So many scouts have made it. The kid says himself that he models his game after Kane's. It's blatantly obvious when you watch his highlights or even his full games that he plays a lot like Patrick Kane

This hipster mentality that this draft really isn't as good as it's being made out to be is honestly so dumb.

"Oh, scouts compare Hanifin to Doughty and Marner to Kane??? That can't be true, they're going 4th and 5th in this draft! Must somehow disparage them by comparing them to good players but still putting a huge damper on their hype for no reason!!! Blargh Blargh Blargh! This draft is no better than other years because we hear every year that the draft is supposed to be good!!!"

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
having tolchinsky and gerbe in our system is a terrible reason not to take mitch marner

that would be like if we passed on skinner because we already had boychuk, dalpe, and bowman and skilled wingers weren't a need.

Agreed. You take who you think will be the best player for you.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

It's a terrible reason to not take Mitch Marner, but it's a good reason why there should be some consideration in trading down and taking one of Provorov/Crouse/whoever.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I thought the "so much has changed since the last poll" would have given it away. Literally nothing had changed. No one is even playing.

It's all good. Wish I saved myself a day. Sorry my sarcasm detector isn't that great when it comes to strangers and text.

Marner it is.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just giving you a hard time. Think of it this way, it gave us yet another reason to yell at each other.

This board makes me think of the John Jackson/Jack Johnson debate on Futurama.

Jack+johnson+or+john+jackson+_82016fb5e4ada5eb7eb96deb48e84683.jpg

Johnson: It's time someone had the courage to stand up and say - "I'm against those things that everybody hates".
Jackson: Now I respect my opponent. I think he's a good man but, quite frankly, I agree with everything he just said!

Johnson: I say your three cent titanium tax goes too far!
Jackson: And I say your three cent titanium tax doesn't go too far enough!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

What is your point? Staal, Staal, Semin, Lindholm, Rask, Nestrasil, and McClement will all likely be on this team to start next year. Beyond that, maybe some guys will have moved on, but that's as relevant as you mentioning Nathan Gerbe. "A good portion"...come on. That's so disingenuous it may as well be an outright lie.

Is your problem that they are small or play small? Skinner isn't small, that's been discussed ad nauseum. Marner doesn't play small. Scouts are pretty much on agreement there.

Height/weight doesn't matter as much as everyone thinks it does. I don't know how many times it has to be said before it clicks. Chicago ranks 29th in average weight and 21st in average height. Rangers 26th and 29th. Tampa 21st and 12th. Tampa is doing pretty good with Tyler Johnson, Jonathan Drouin and Nikita Kucherov. Callahan is 5'11''. Stamkos, Palat, and Filippula are all listed at 6'0''. That's their top six scorers. I wouldn't exactly call Jason Garrison, Matt Carle, or even Victor Hedman hard nosed defenders either.

Anaheim is the only "big" team that's still alive. But you know what they all have in common? Skilled players.

I have no problem with liking someone else better if your reasons are valid. Adding a perceived small player to this team is not one of them.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's a terrible reason to not take Mitch Marner, but it's a good reason why there should be some consideration in trading down and taking one of Provorov/Crouse/whoever.

No it isn't, because Tolchinsky isn't even a sure thing to play in the NHL and Gerbe is a bottom 6er who can be moved easily. That's like not drafting Hanifan because they have Fluery, mcKewon, Carrick, etc. draft the best hockey player goddamnit.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

he literally says he models his game after Kane.

He's much more flashy than RNH and not quite as positionally sound as Nuge. That's why Nuge was seen as a lock to be a center in the NHL and there's a lot of question about if Marner will be a winger or a center. Just like there was with Kane.

The blowback against the Kane comparison with Marner is astounding and hilarious to me. So many scouts have made it. The kid says himself that he models his game after Kane's. It's blatantly obvious when you watch his highlights or even his full games that he plays a lot like Patrick Kane

This hipster mentality that this draft really isn't as good as it's being made out to be is honestly so dumb.

"Oh, scouts compare Hanifin to Doughty and Marner to Kane??? That can't be true, they're going 4th and 5th in this draft! Must somehow disparage them by comparing them to good players but still putting a huge damper on their hype for no reason!!! Blargh Blargh Blargh! This draft is no better than other years because we hear every year that the draft is supposed to be good!!!"

Wait.... I'm a hipster?!? That's a new one. His doesn't remind me of Kane regardless of who he models his game after. Doesn't skate like him. Doesn't spin out of traffic the same way at all. Just because he stick handles a lot doesn't make the comparison. I don't care how many scouts say it. He doesn't remind me of Kane when I watch him. Different stride, different stick handling approach. He leans forward way more, lower lie with longer stick like nuge, attacks the zone in a similar way. Kane keeps the pack in his feet, Marner keeps it on yours. The Kane comparison was always weak. Why can't he just be Marner?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Big or small you always want skill. La is big and skilled, Anaheim is big and skilled. Saying big teams aren't the way to go off this playoff year is silly. Worked great on other years. Of course you want skill, but you want size and skill the most.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Big or small you always want skill. La is big and skilled, Anaheim is big and skilled. Saying big teams aren't the way to go off this playoff year is silly. Worked great on other years. Of course you want skill, but you want size and skill the most.

that kind of thinking is why new york has dylan mcilrath and anaheim has cam fowler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad