Value of: Kotkaniemi to PIT

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Buffalo waves hello. Might be a really nice 3C for us. We'd even give you something for him. Need a RHD? We'll give you Jokiharju.
My immediate thoughts were Chicago and San Jose where he can easily scoop up some top six minutes. KK's not bad defensively, but I think Buffalo should target someone more experienced and better defensively

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Pass on paying graves 4.5 million for another 5 years.

Even though kk is over paid, he is overpaid for a more valuable position and can be bought out for 1/3 price if need be. The cost of a 1/3 buyout and a mid range 3LD will be cheaper than graves at 4.5 million

he can be bought out thru 2026 buy out window at 1/3 which puts it under $1M cap penalty.

Anny team acquiring him is going to plan on giving him a 2 yr recovery project then if unsuccessful they buy him out.

the fat they have to do that kills any value in return for him.

Of course Carolina isnt taking on a 5 yr contract that is harder to buy out. they might tale a 1-2 yr contract back

Buffalo waves hello. Might be a really nice 3C for us. We'd even give you something for him. Need a RHD? We'll give you Jokiharju.

I would not trade actual value for him.
hes a 2 yr tryoit then you buy him out at 1/3 under 26 yr old in June 2026 if hes not earning the money. he has 4 yrs left after than buy put time so thats still around $6M+ buy out to eat.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Pass on paying graves 4.5 million for another 5 years.

Even though kk is over paid, he is overpaid for a more valuable position and can be bought out for 1/3 price if need be. The cost of a 1/3 buyout and a mid range 3LD will be cheaper than graves at 4.5 million
Can they buy him out at any point of the contract under these terms?

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
KK has still not figured out that he has to work nonstop thru his summers with skating coaches if he ever wants to be a good nhl player. Also takes forever for him to get of that cannon of a wrister he has, I can shout "Shoot!" 2-3 times before KK finally lets it go and the goalie is set or the screen is gone or the shot is blocked.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Can they buy him out at any point of the contract under these terms?

Before the age of 26.

Which means any team could buy out Kotkaniemi during the 2024 off-season (before July 1 or after with arbitration on another contract), or the 2025 off-season (before July 1 or after with arbitration on another contract), or the 2026 June buyout period at 1/3.

$835K cap hit and payout per year, with a couple of years of only a 455K cap hit.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
KK has still not figured out that he has to work nonstop thru his summers with skating coaches if he ever wants to be a good nhl player. Also takes forever for him to get of that cannon of a wrister he has, I can shout "Shoot!" 2-3 times before KK finally lets it go and the goalie is set or the screen is gone or the shot is blocked.
Hi agree - his poor skating is inexcusable. Other high-end pick players like Spezza and Mark Stone came into the league as really poor skaters and improved significantly to where it was not an issue.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hi agree - his poor skating is inexcusable. Other high-end pick players like Spezza and Mark Stone came into the league as really poor skaters and improved significantly to where it was not an issue.
When he came to the Canes he couldn’t handle any body contact without falling over. He’s a strong skater now, and actually wins board battles. His skating has improved significantly. He’s never going to be fast but he’s absolutely improved his strength and balance.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
When he came to the Canes he couldn’t handle any body contact without falling over. He’s a strong skater now, and actually wins board battles. His skating has improved significantly. He’s never going to be fast but he’s absolutely improved his strength and balance.
He’s a bad skater. Well below NHL average. It has held him back.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What's hilarious was the posters who were full of "haha, Habs got screwed".

Now the discussion is if KK can be bought out.

He was a mistake when we drafted him, he was a mistake when he was OS, he will be a mistake for anyone trading for him.

Kk should consider going to Europe and disappearing from NHL discussions.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
KK's buyout is dirt cheap. They'd sooner just do that.

He was a mistake when we drafted him, he was a mistake when he was OS, he will be a mistake for anyone trading for him.

I mean, they kinda still did effectively screw themselves when you consider that the event to start it all was that God-awful offer sheet for Aho.

They essentially banked on Carolina being too cheap to sign their star player. They were wrong, and it ended up being a great contract for him.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He’s a bad skater. Well below NHL average. It has held him back.
It is not his strong suit for sure, but having watch him improve it over the last couple of years, it is no longer what holds him back. His shot delay is killing him. As already alluded to above, the time it takes for him to get the shot off is sub-standard and lets the defense/goalie get into position which usually dramatically lowers his chances.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Most of the pro offer sheet crowd acknowledged the cheap buyout and most accounted for it as a reason to do the offer sheet. So i think we have some misconstrued facts here.

The reasons for the offer sheet:
1. If he lived up to his comps, its a steal
2. If he was just a 3c, the long term salary would play out
3. Canes had 3 off seasons to see it play out to buy him out at 1/3 salary.

Those were the reasons. He has played 200 games with us. our 1st and 3rd had a very low chance of playing that in the league.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Most of the pro offer sheet crowd acknowledged the cheap buyout and most accounted for it as a reason to do the offer sheet. So i think we have some misconstrued facts here.

The reasons for the offer sheet:
1. If he lived up to his comps, its a steal
2. If he was just a 3c, the long term salary would play out
3. Canes had 3 off seasons to see it play out to buy him out at 1/3 salary.

Those were the reasons. He has played 200 games with us. our 1st and 3rd had a very low chance of playing that in the league.
The offer sheet was for 1 year with an RFA expiration. I don't recall much talk about the contract he was going to then sign being reasonably buyoutable (the rest of your post I agree with).

Reactions: jfhabs

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Jarry is a hard no but I actually don't hate the idea of Graves. He would make sense as a (albeit expensive) 3rd pair D.

Of course if KK plays like he did last night throughout the rest of the post season keeping him would make more sense.

Reactions: Tryamw

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually feel like Graves for Kotkaniemi makes a good bit of sense on paper. Dubas has noted that the Penguins are trying to get younger, which Kotkaniemi would clearly help with, while the Canes have basically all of their defensemen being UFAs after either this year or next year. With Skjei and Pesce likely pricing themselves out this year, Carolina is going to need defensemen to replace them.

Penguins get a good 3C while the Canes get a decent #4 LD, both with similar contracts. That seems like a pretty reasonable reclamation project swap.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad