Confirmed with Link: Kotkaniemi Offer Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A contract is an agreement in which consideration is received by both parties. In the case of an offer sheet. It is an “option” type contract. Both parties are (canes and JK) are bound by the terms and conditions of the offer sheet unless Montreal picks up the Option.
As a retired Contracting Officer, yes I’m going to go Contract Law on this.
But they or very least the team have previously limited their contracting competence by contracting themselves into the NHL legal framework, where the only existing allowed form of contract between the team and the players is SPC, and by CBA the SPC will be finalized only after the offersheet procedure is over.

The parties have done Actions that are defined in the CBA, which Actions will have the legal consequences to which the team has previously contracted itself with the League. But according to the NHL legal framework they are not currently under a contract with each other.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Would be really happy if Canes get him. Could be a huge steal for the team especially in the long run. Have a big feeling he’d do great here.

But regardless of what happened I think the Canes played this absolutely perfectly. Very little risk and a perfect offer sheet

Looking forward to finding out today

I don’t think it’s a huge risk, but I wouldn’t classify it as “very little”. For example.

1. Canes could miss the playoffs and give up a potential lottery pick.
2. Kotkaniemi could perform no better than he did in MTL and we are wasting $6m in cap space.
3. This is a team that has Stanley cup aspirations and will for the next 3 years while Aho, Pesce and TT are under contract. If Kotkaniemi doesn’t help the team vs spending the $6M elsewhere, it potentially wastes a year.
4. If a reasonable extension isn’t worked out, they risk either having to overpay Kotkaniemi next year or lose him to free agency.
5. Spending this much on Kotkaniemi, even if it’s an offer sheet, night make discussions with Necas more difficult.
6. Rod may not use Kotkaniemi any more than MTL did and he’d be unhappy.

again, I don’t think this move is a big risk, but there is some risk.

there’s upside to the move as well, particularly if Kotkaniemi signs a reasonable extension, takes a step forward in his game and becomes a long term 2c .

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
So this thought just came to mind. Our team was linked to Tarasenko, but getting him would require giving up one or more of Rees, Jarvis, Suzuki, Drury, etc.

Here we're giving up a 1st but keeping our prospects. Also getting a much younger player.
We could still trade for Tank, nothing says the Canes are through dealing.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
No matter how this turns out the NHL and their television partners would be really remiss if the Hurricanes vs Montreal game on October 21st is not nationally televised

Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Finding the cap space says we likely won’t if the Habs don’t match.
The trade would probably go something like Nino, Gardiner (who will go on LTIR for ST. Louis) Rees and a late round pick for tank. Or.
Nino, Rees, Tieksola, and a late round pick for tank and a million to million and a half retained

either way they could only do it by trading Nino. But I’m not sure St Louis wants to take a contract back.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The trade would probably go something like Nino, Gardiner (who will go on LTIR for ST. Louis) Rees and a late round pick for tank. Or.
Nino, Rees, Tieksola, and a late round pick for tank and a million to million and a half retained

either way they could only do it by trading Nino. But I’m not sure St Louis wants to take a contract back.

I don't think that St. Louis would consider Nino a "contract". He's a good player that would actually add something to the Blues.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I care cause I like Kotka a lot
A view from the other side, in good faith:

We like aspects of KK too, some of us more than others.
He is definitely a gamer and who doesn't like a big boy C?

MTL has rushed him no doubt, but he is still far from being a 6 million player.... quite a long way. If he figures out a way to take a big step forward on his skates and his release speed, I reckon he will pan out as that physical 2C people want him to be.

It's by no means a given. If Bergevin can do a sensible deal for Dvorak, who right now is clearly a better player at a lower cap hit, KK is yours and good luck to him for getting paid.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
One of the Habs posters was already in mid meltdown on the trade board before the tweet was deleted.

I'm thinking the rest of the day is going to be entertaining regardless of what happens.
Are Habs fans not typically in a perpetual state of meltdown? See the infamous (and sadly long-gone) “Darkest Day in Habs History” thread for proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad