Waived: Kostka On Waivers - Update Cleared

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Kostka was already waived once this year and sent to Hartford. He got called back up due to injuries. Why are people acting like this is the last we will ever see of him? It may be, but another injury before McD comes back and Kostka will probably be called up again. I seriously doubt he gets claimed.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I don't think he deserved to get waived, he was fine as a depth defender. Hopefully he gets claimed though to free up roster/cap.

The Rangers aren't going to keep 8 defensemen around once McDonagh returns… They were going to send someone down. He'll likely pass through, and play in Hartford - he won't count against the cap down there so that's a non-issue.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It makes no sense to sign Kaberle while waiving Kostka. Kostka is better at this point.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
It makes no sense to sign Kaberle while waiving Kostka. Kostka is better at this point.

Kostka is not better than kaberle, Don't kid yourself.

Kaberle was at least at one point, a serviceable NHL defenseman. Kostka will be lucky to sniff regular minutes in this league.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

It doesn't hurt to have a look. 7th defenseman might be a perfect spot for him at this point if he still has some game left. The Rangers won't be asking him to play 80 games playing 20 min a night. He was very good - let's see what he's got left.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Kostka is not better than kaberle, Don't kid yourself.

Kaberle was at least at one point, a serviceable NHL defenseman. Kostka will be lucky to sniff regular minutes in this league.

Key word, was.

Kostka has been sniffing minutes the past few years, albeit as a depth player. Kaberle hasn't had regular playing time in a while.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Key word, was.

Kostka has been sniffing minutes the past few years, albeit as a depth player. Kaberle hasn't had regular playing time in a while.

Well he's been playing in europe. Kind of hard to have NHL play time.

in 2012 he had 22 pts in 43 games with the habs.
Hell, in 2013-2014 he had 24 pts in 48 games in europe. That's pretty good for a "washed up" player

It would take nothing short of a miracle for kostka to get 5 points in 43 games. :laugh:

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Well he's been playing in europe. Kind of hard to have NHL play time.

in 2012 he had 22 pts in 43 games with the habs.
Hell, in 2013-2014 he had 24 pts in 48 games in europe. That's pretty good for a "washed up" player

It would take nothing short of a miracle for kostka to get 5 points in 43 games. :laugh:

he had 11 in 28 games last season...Im not the biggest Kostka fan and I dont want him in the line up, but Kaberle is not an upgrade.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Wouldn't mind if he gets claimed to open up an extra roster spot...just in case.

I hope we make a move or two towards the end of the season and try to snag an undrafted FA or two. Our overall depth in the system isn't great--lots of older bodies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Wouldn't mind if he gets claimed to open up an extra roster spot...just in case.

I hope we make a move or two towards the end of the season and try to snag an undrafted FA or two. Our overall depth in the system isn't great--lots of older bodies.

Bring in Skjei for the playoff run. :naughty:

Isn't he like the best defenseman in college?

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
he had 11 in 28 games last season...Im not the biggest Kostka fan and I dont want him in the line up, but Kaberle is not an upgrade.

I don't know what season you're talking about but this says 24 pts in 48 games for HC Kladno as his last "season"

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=30372

Even so, 11 points in 28 games is nothing to frown over anyway.
Please enlighten me how kaberle at the very least is not an upgrade over kostka :shakehead

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I don't know what season you're talking about but this says 24 pts in 48 games for HC Kladno as his last "season"

Please enlighten me how kaberle at the very least is not an upgrade over kostka :shakehead

I was referring to Kostka, not Kaberle....so there's that.

And Kaberle did it against far inferior competition. I dont want to see either in the line up, but if I had to choose, I'm taking Kostka.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Just playing devils advocate here but points don't equal good play.

If he was a PP mainstay and put those points up, while being -15 overall, what does that say about his overall play?

Now, I did not watch him the past few years, but if he's lost a step(s) and can't keep up & is a disaster in his own end, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that someone like Kosta (though still a mess) could be a better option.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm sure they're just waiving him to send him back to Hartford. I'd wager money that this is not the last time we see Kostka this season.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
At a minimum, Kaberle can play the point.

He's younger than Zidlicky but equally terrible defensively. His shot and point play is still serviceable.

I was against this at first but Allen, Hunwick and Kostka are horror shows and it saves Girardi some ice time off the PP.

All valid points, but if we're going this route I'd rather bring Salo in.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yeah, but DeKeyser was really good for the Wings fresh out of college.

I'm not saying it's impossible… but college to the NHL playoffs is a huge jump - especially for a defenseman. I find it hard to believe he'd be better than John Moore right off the bat, but you never know.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
At a minimum, Kaberle can play the point.

He's younger than Zidlicky but equally terrible defensively. His shot and point play is still serviceable.

I was against this at first but Allen, Hunwick and Kostka are horror shows and it saves Girardi some ice time off the PP.

makes me cringe everytime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad