Waived: Kostka On Waivers - Update Cleared

AHB*

I love when people bring up points to argue in favor of a D-Man. Why dont' we just sign Sheldon Souray while we're at it?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I'd take Hunwick over Kostka easily. I don't see a compelling reason other than injury to even be kicking Kaberle's tires. I think we'll be fine with Staal, Girardi, Boyle, Klein, Moore and Hunwick until McDonagh gets back. If Kostka clears waivers which would probably be best he'd be a potential call up along with Allen with McIlrath. Unless Kaberle can step right into the Rangers lineup--at his age I don't think there's any point in signing him otherwise.

I think he's Sather's security blanket--Sather panicked when he saw Hunwick, Kostka, Allen and McIlrath in the lineup. Sather has a hard time remembering the recent past, so he's always willing to give some (washed-up) veteran another chance (case in point Lombardi--thankfully, that one didn't work out or Hayes would be in the minors).

If Kaberle passes his final this weekend, I suspect we'll see him in the lineup sometime next week.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
kostka wasnt good. his days were numbered.

kaberle would be perhaps worse but whats it gonna hurt giving him a looksee.

all i know is last time i saw tk, he looked done. over. finished

hes slooooowwwwwww and with boyle back, i dont see the need for him whatsoever.

like i said before, once mcd returns healthy and returns to his old self and not the massive suckage mcdonagh we saw early this season, i really like our defense.

mcd girardi
staal boyle
moore klein
hunwick

looks nice.

kleins emergence and boyles return should make this unit of 6 pretty solid.

I'd be curious to see if J. Moore gets dealt in an attempt to upgrade at center. Hunwick has been solid.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
AV seems very happy with Moore the last two games--he played the most minutes of any player last night (and also played well over 20 minutes the game before).

I'm not the biggest fan of Moore--but I just don't see why everyone is so taken by Hunwick. He's a 29 year old who hasn't been good enough in his NHL career to get into the lineup on a regular basis and stick (at least since he was in Boston). He hasn't played in the playoffs since 2010. And now the Rangers are going to trade a 23 year old defenseman so Hunwick can play regularly? Give me a break.

I'll take Moore any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Hunwick. It's very clear the organizational depth on defense is not what some people thought at the beginning of the season. I don't think Moore's spot in the lineup is in danger.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
AV seems very happy with Moore the last two games--he played the most minutes of any player last night (and also played well over 20 minutes the game before).

I'm not the biggest fan of Moore--but I just don't see why everyone is so taken by Hunwick. He's a 29 year old who hasn't been good enough in his NHL career to get into the lineup on a regular basis and stick (at least since he was in Boston). He hasn't played in the playoffs since 2010. And now the Rangers are going to trade a 23 year old defenseman so Hunwick can play regularly? Give me a break.

I'll take Moore any day of the week and twice on Sunday over Hunwick. It's very clear the organizational depth on defense is not what some people thought at the beginning of the season. I don't think Moore's spot in the lineup is in danger.

I was impressed with Hunwick in a couple of games until this weekend and thereafter. Thought Hunwick sucked in pre-season, shaky a couple of games and then really came on. But he went back to being what he was.

JMoore is a good player with great tools, but never took the step, but someone that I viewed as a great trade chip to fill needs up front or stack up the D-Core, but I don't think you move him now. Can ill-afford not not have a strong D.

JMoore still needs to win more net front battles, but I think he fits well with Boyle as his partner. Generated a lot of good shots and transition.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I was impressed with Hunwick in a couple of games until this weekend and thereafter. Thought Hunwick sucked in pre-season, shaky a couple of games and then really came on. But he went back to being what he was.

JMoore is a good player with great tools, but never took the step, but someone that I viewed as a great trade chip to fill needs up front or stack up the D-Core, but I don't think you move him now. Can ill-afford not not have a strong D.

JMoore still needs to win more net front battles, but I think he fits well with Boyle as his partner. Generated a lot of good shots and transition.

It's not easy being a young defensemen in the NHL--it takes time to learn all the things a defenseman needs to do and do it consistantly. I think the organization is willing to live with the growing pains and at this point, so am I.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

I agree with you. Moore has always been a little streaky, and I think he tries to hard on the offense side. I would rather he just worry about being solid in his own end. Than when you look at the bigger picture the situation actually becomes more complicated if Staal doesn't re-sign and Sather makes good on his promise to trade him. I could see a situation where they wind up trading Moore who is making no money this season and Staal to replenish some depth at the position and get another top 4 defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad