Player Discussion Korpisalo (5 years/20M)

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Neither are we.

They are both unquestionably better than the current guy we play as a starter. They both have good track records but not big enough to warrant a cap breaking deal. Either would be suitable given our options.

As for Forsberg I don't see how he's on the roster next year. Going into next season with the exact same goaltending situation is completely unfeasible.

Reactions: Alex1234

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brossoit is brought up a fair bit. As is Demelo. Why wouldn't they both stay in a winning program in Winnipeg? Cap?
Same with Stolarz. Florida has half the roster as ufa. Why would he move, he can win there.
If someone offers Stolartz 4 x 2.5M he’s taking it. 30 years old with career earnings of 5.3M, yeah he’s signing.

Reactions: Alex1234

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
They are both unquestionably better than the current guy we play as a starter. They both have good track records but not big enough to warrant a cap breaking deal. Either would be suitable given our options.

As for Forsberg I don't see how he's on the roster next year. Going into next season with the exact same goaltending situation is completely unfeasible.
I'm talking about thier point of view....and we can't afford to over pay, in dollars or term, for either guy. People need to get real around here in general. Drafting for need, mis valuing our players, trading picks. It's like Dorion all over again and I know most of you know better. We want this team to be good so bad that all common sense has gone out the window....and we're in the basement, so a lot of backs have been thrown out lifting this shit up to the ground.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Goalies can still let in bad goals while killing a penalty or while on the power play.

Didn’t say they can’t. How those shots are defined is fairly simplistic, it’s far more useful tracked 5v5 than it is at other situations given how teams generate chances at different strengths.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
we carry play only to get a ton of empty calorie shots and then proceed to have a catastrophic defensive breakdown which results in a grade AAA chance against.

and then everyone blames the goalie lol.

I don't know about that...

Overall this season (all strengths) :

xGF/60 : 3.22 (11th)
xGA/60 : 2.94 (11th)

Since January 13th :

xGF/60 : 3.34 (5th)
xGA/60 : 2.74 (3rd)

IMO if we started the season with the current coaching staff, if you just remove Kubalik and Hamonic then have more consistant goaltending, we'd be a playoffs team

Weren't you awhile back regularly commenting on how much better we've been since the coaching change?

The Goals Against and PP are both worse since the coaching change. They weren't good before but they've gotten worse.

It's already been explained ad nauseam

Last edited:
Reactions: Dionysus

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I have to admit, and very hesitantly, that he is finally showing his keep. Yes, very very late in the season, but holy crap, this guy is looking unbelievable. Have the tides turned?

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
That was the playin round. I stand by the assertion that the leafs and Rangers both missed the playoffs.
make the “playoffs*” and win the lottery. Some franchises can have nice things. Over and over again.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Admittedly he has looked good for a stretch. Late season or not the guy is topping the puck.

He has the ability to make the amazing saves needed, it’s always about making the easy saves with him.

Makes me think that with some quality coaching he may be able to get his angles down a little better and perhaps be a net positive.

We’ll see what happened obviously, but I suspect we’ll at least swap one out in the off season

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He might benefit from having Sogaard as his backup instead of a more experienced older goaltender like forsberg.
Put more responsibility on him with no question he is the number 1 and has to get it done.
Next year has to be a bounce back or he is bounced from the senators.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hoping he hits that career high of 20 wins so some other GM is dumb enough to trade us future considerations for him.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If we keep him next year - which is...not smart imo - better have a heck of a backup for when he shits himself

They will go out and get someone they think is a starter. I don't think it is realistic to expect them to add two NHL goalies, because NHL goalies are clearly in short supply. So many teams use tandems now, instead of having one star who plays 60-70+ games. Add in expansion, and there aren't many goalies to go around. It's why we might actually be able to trade Forsberg on his expiring contract.

Then hopefully they can sign a journeyman type to with the intention of Sogaard, Korpisalo, and the journeyman battling it out for the #2 spot in the NHL.

Korpisalo buried for 4 seasons gives the Senators a similar amount of cap relief over the lifetime of the contracts to buying him out. If he fails to win the #2 job, they can bury him.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They will go out and get someone they think is a starter. I don't think it is realistic to expect them to add two NHL goalies, because NHL goalies are clearly in short supply. So many teams use tandems now, instead of having one star who plays 60-70+ games. Add in expansion, and there aren't many goalies to go around. It's why we might actually be able to trade Forsberg on his expiring contract.

Then hopefully they can sign a journeyman type to with the intention of Sogaard, Korpisalo, and the journeyman battling it out for the #2 spot in the NHL.

Korpisalo buried for 4 seasons gives the Senators a similar amount of cap relief over the lifetime of the contracts to buying him out. If he fails to win the #2 job, they can bury him.
That'll do, as long as the guy can post a 900, i can work with that.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If Ottawa had their 2013 goaltending this season where do they finish in the standings?

Attachments

• IMG_7270.jpeg
    IMG_7270.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 5

Codo37

Apr 7, 2008
Germany
Can we borrow Sandra Abstreiter (G) from the Ottawa PWHL Team? I'm german and she played well in the Worldcup. She is 2nd string goalie in Ottawa but can't be worse like what we have in net by the Sens … *sarcasm off*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad